Old 12-04-2003, 10:56 AM
berries

Default Grapes How much sunlight?

How much (mininum)sunlight do i need for a maroo seedless grape vine
(impulse buy)

also the leaves have little brown spots on them and dark brown patches
on the vine itself the nursery told me these were fine just that they
werent getting enough sunlight is this true?

should i cut everything back before planting it?

thanks in advance
Old 12-04-2003, 09:32 PM
M. Tiefert

In article , (berries) wrote:
How much (mininum)sunlight do i need for a maroo seedless grape vine
(impulse buy)

also the leaves have little brown spots on them and dark brown patches
on the vine itself the nursery told me these were fine just that they
werent getting enough sunlight is this true?

should i cut everything back before planting it?

thanks in advance

Hi,

Grapes (well, at least the French and the American varieties - I don't
know maroo) shed their leaves in the autumn, and (assuming that April
down under is rather like October in the north) it's OK for them to be
looking old & bedraggled now. They should be leafless during the winter
and then start putting out new growth in the spring. Also the new green
stem growth will grow a brown bark as it ages.

I once had some Concord grapevines on the north-east side of a
single-level house in southern California. But most of the growth was
supported about 2 m off the ground, so they got plenty of sun, and were
very productive.

I wouldn't bother cutting it back. If maroo is usually grafted on
different rootstock, you shouldn't cut 'everything' back. I'd
probably wait and see how it looked in the spring.

cheers,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert:
http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Marj's Mini Mall: http://stores.tiefert.com/
Coleridge shop: http://www.cafeshops.com/coleridgestore
Marjorie's Morning Star: http://newsletter.tiefert.com/
science editing services: http://science.tiefert.com/
Old 13-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Dwayne

I ordered some grapes once, and the instructions suggested that the rows run
North and South so both sides would get sunlight during the day. I couldnt,
because they were going to be put on a slight hill and soil conservation
practices dictated that that a person planted stuff the East and West under
those circumstances. From that I think you could safely assume that they
should have as much sun as you can give them.

As far as the black spots, grapes are great for getting a fungus. I dont
think it will kill them, but you could lose your crop if not controlled.
They could have to be sprayed at least once a year for that. If you are
going into winter where you are, I would leave them alone until they are
dormant. Grape vines are bleeders, if pruned at the wrong time of the year.

Good luck. Dwayne

"M. Tiefert" wrote in message
y.com...
In article ,

(berries) wrote:
[...]

more grapes vs better grapes [email protected][_2_] Gardening 4 08-07-2013 02:10 AM
How much sunlight? Maggie's Mom Orchids 11 20-07-2006 12:45 AM
TO MUCH SUNLIGHT????? bob Orchids 3 16-11-2005 09:00 PM
TOO MUCH SUNLIGHT????? bob Orchids 1 15-11-2005 09:53 PM
Sunlight - how much? occupant Gardening 1 21-09-2004 12:14 PM