Old 21-06-2006, 08:46 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jen

Default Rose pruning questions

I've just started pruning the roses, but I'm not too sure about a couple of
them. One type, I think might be a Carpet Rose - how do I go about pruning
that, do I need to thin it out, as well as shorten it?

Another grows far taller than the other ones, I assume it's a taller
variety, do I need to leave it much taller after pruning?

Also I have some miniature roses, I'm fairly sure you just chop the bush
right back, am I right?

The normal type of roses I'm fine with.

Any help appreciated. TIA

Jen

Old 25-06-2006, 05:41 PM posted to aus.gardens
James Martin

Just cut it down to a smaller size if you wish. Carpet roses are quite
strong and harder- and will bounce back quickly.

I cut back my mini roses- the same way as i deal with my main roses.

Main thing is to get rid of the deadwood. the sickly looking canes, the
weedy stuff etc.. That's how I do mine.

imho.

Old 25-06-2006, 09:04 PM posted to aus.gardens
gardenlen

g'day jen,

i'm no rose grower, so probably can't help too much here, but the new
home we bought had some roses in the garden, so in preperation for
pulling the garden out i just cut them all back to almost ground
level, and those plants loved it they are a mass of growth and healthy
looking plants not the spindly yukky looking things that uninspired me
even more about the plant.

i know you are supposed to thin them out and prune them to an open
vase shape, but hey without any water these plants look great. the
funny bit i reckon they may even put on their best show of flowers
next season.

oh i'm even taking them out of the garden and potting them and they
haven't looked back, treat 'em rough i say they'll love it.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com
Old 26-06-2006, 09:50 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jen

"Jen" wrote in message

Pretty much what I thought, thanks to both of you.

Jen

Old 27-06-2006, 12:09 PM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
"Jen" wrote:

I've just started pruning the roses, but I'm not too sure about a couple of
them. One type, I think might be a Carpet Rose - how do I go about pruning
that, do I need to thin it out, as well as shorten it?

Another grows far taller than the other ones, I assume it's a taller
variety, do I need to leave it much taller after pruning?

Well, they say to shorten the branches by a third, so that would still leave
it taller...

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue

rose pruning questions Jen Gardening 2 26-06-2006 10:02 AM
Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Andrew G Bonsai 0 30-06-2004 01:05 PM
Two questions - rose leaves and pruning! GR United Kingdom 1 08-06-2003 04:56 PM