Old 12-04-2003, 10:20 PM
John Doh

Default Buffalo Lawn

Hi all, am just wondering what the shademaster and Sir Walter buffalo
grassess are like in areas that have shade, like under trees.At the moment I
have kikuyu and it is not doing well at all, very sparse and ratty.I am
going to take the kikuyu out by hand (mattock and shovel) as I can't use a
bobcat because of trees and roots in the area, and am going to use a good
quality underlay organic dirt.By the way I am in the western suburbs of
Sydney.

Old 13-04-2003, 03:44 PM
silvasurfa

"John Doh" wrote in message
Hi all, am just wondering what the shademaster and Sir Walter buffalo
grassess are like in areas that have shade, like under trees.At the moment

have kikuyu and it is not doing well at all, very sparse and ratty.I am
going to take the kikuyu out by hand (mattock and shovel) as I can't use a
bobcat because of trees and roots in the area, and am going to use a good
quality underlay organic dirt.By the way I am in the western suburbs of
Sydney.

I am in South Australia, near Adelaide.

Sir Walter Raleigh is working well for me. My shade is more the solid type
cast by solid structures, the buffalo gets full sun for part of the growing
season. If I keep up water and fertiliser too it during this time and barely
cut it at all, it survives, grows and sends out runners to repair any
damage. I rake up any fallen leaves, as the grass seems to hate them and
dies off if covered.

If you don't want a picture perfect lawn, it won't kill to just get a couple
of sods of Sir Walter Raleigh, cut them up and plant them in your sparse
bits of lawn without removing the kikuyu. The whole "grass as monoculture"
thing does make a nice looking lawn, but is a bit impractical for areas with
lots of different growing conditions. Commit to mowing regularly and it will
look just fine for most purposes. Either that or turn the shady bits into
garden bed so you can keep a monoculture.

Old 14-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Adam

"John Doh" wrote in message ...
Hi all, am just wondering what the shademaster and Sir Walter buffalo
grassess are like in areas that have shade, like under trees.At the moment I
have kikuyu and it is not doing well at all, very sparse and ratty.I am
going to take the kikuyu out by hand (mattock and shovel) as I can't use a
bobcat because of trees and roots in the area, and am going to use a good
quality underlay organic dirt.By the way I am in the western suburbs of
Sydney.

IIRC Sir Walter needs a fair amount of direct light.
Kikuyu is the same, plus it goes very yellow in winter.
I'm currently trying Palmetto - it looks a lot like Sir Walter but
needs less direct sunlight. Wears really well, holds most of it's
colour in winter.
I'm in Melbourne though, so I'm not sure how it'd go in Sydney.

Adam
Old 14-04-2003, 10:20 AM
rarsin

I'm in Melbourne and have Sir Walter Buffalo in a mix of shaded and sunny
areas. It does reasonably well in the shade. I mow it high and try not to
give it too much water. The areas under shade are nice and green, but not
as lush as the areas that get sun.

Cheers - Rab.

"Adam" wrote in message
om...

Old 14-04-2003, 11:20 AM
John Doh

Thanks to all for your inputs

Old 15-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Andrew G

"John Doh" wrote in message
Hi all, am just wondering what the shademaster and Sir Walter buffalo
grassess are like in areas that have shade, like under trees.At the moment

have kikuyu and it is not doing well at all, very sparse and ratty.I am
going to take the kikuyu out by hand (mattock and shovel) as I can't use a
bobcat because of trees and roots in the area, and am going to use a good
quality underlay organic dirt.By the way I am in the western suburbs of
Sydney.

A few of the residents around work have asked me about how to get their
grass growing well under in the shade. All of them had Sir Walter and none
were doing well in the shade.
I didn't really know, as I always knew it as being shade loving.

We got a catalogue at work who is trying to supply us with Native grasses
and wetland plants, but it also mentions this Palmetto buffalo that Adam
mentioned.
Sounds like a pretty good grass. as no grass survives in extreme shade.

It stays green all winter, and much greener than others if frosts hit. IT
seems frost doesn't hurt it.
Goes well in sun, and thrives in shade, but notes it needs at least 2-3hrs
of direct sunlight per day.
It's a cold hardy buffalo, and frost tolerant.
Massive root system once established so drought tolernat.
Recovers well from any damage by putting out runners.
High wearing.

Damn, after typing all that there is a website:

www.aulawn.com

This is not the site of the catalogue, but mentioned with the Buffalo grass.
I don't know what the site is like, I haven't seen it, but may be worth a
look, I will check it out when I have time.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply