Old 02-09-2006, 09:20 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Pruning mint

ant wrote:

Dunno. Some are armour-plated, and their front looks like the back, sort of
blunt at both ends.

Sounds like the Stumpy Tail, ant (Trachydosaurus rugosus.) I din't know
that scientific name tho' - Googled it.

We've had a couple of Tiger snakes hanging 'round last summer, too.

I really wanted to put some sort of rock creek bed-like pond thing in
this year (I like that we have wild ducks coming daily and thought
they'd love it) but people have been telling me it will attract the
snakes. I don't mind that so much coz they're around anyway and I
figure at least I'll know where they're more likely to be. I just worry
our dogs will also be attracted to it and stumble upon one.

L.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:38 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article , "ant"
wrote:

Dunno. Some are armour-plated, and their front looks like the back, sort of
blunt at both ends. Some others are armour plated, but thinner and longer
and pointier, with claws.

Shinglebacks?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 02-09-2006, 11:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

"ant" wrote in message

Apparently the chihuahuas killed a lizard last week. One had been

obsessed
with lizards for years, spending hours motionless gazing fixedly at

the rock
wall. I guess he finally got one. My brother found the two of them

eating
it.

I can understand that, the tails are often full of what looks like
fat.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Linda H" wrote in message
We've had a couple of Tiger snakes hanging 'round last summer, too.

I really wanted to put some sort of rock creek bed-like pond thing

in
this year (I like that we have wild ducks coming daily and thought
they'd love it) but people have been telling me it will attract the
snakes. I don't mind that so much coz they're around anyway and I
figure at least I'll know where they're more likely to be. I just

worry
our dogs will also be attracted to it and stumble upon one.

One of our dogs was bitten by a Brown in the final days of Autumn.
$950 later he came home and was so sick that he just lay on the lounge
for 2 weeks and wouldn't even lift his head. Just followed us with
his eyes. Now he is as fit as flea.

The record for dog bites round here is 8 bites in 8 years for a dog.
I didn't think they could take so many bites but I know the family and
the dog belonged to to one of the offspring who they lost in a plane
crash. They think of the dog as the last link to the lost offspring
they keep dragging it off to the vet each time it gets bitten.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:00 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Well I'm afraid I spoil the Bluey's who live on my garden too....they
soon found they could go through the laundry into the garage and then
into the house where they would wander at their own pace until they
found me. One day I was sitting here at my computer and had this
feeling someone was watching me, so I stopped typing and looked out the
window....no one there!! Went back to what I was doing and the feeling
returned....another peer out the window and still nothing. Then finally
I decided to wheel my chair a little further and look in the other
direction when all of a sudden the wheel came against something on the
floor and when I looked down here were two bluey's at my feet looking up
as if to say 'we are here Mum, where's our tucker?' Very smartly I
fitted a screen door between the garage and dining room but for the next
two weeks they used to sit there all day....the piles of dung as
evidence. That year they cost me a new freezer as they wintered near
the warm motor in the garage.

These days they wait outside the doors but still hang around waiting for
tidbits.

Bronwyn ;-)

Farm1 wrote:
"HC" wrote in message

The Blueys that live in my garden poked their heads out on Sunday

for

the first time this season. They were waiting for the obligatory

bit of

chuck steak.

We used to have a bit of 4 inch aggie drainage pipe sticking out of
the ground in a previous house. In this pipe lived the fattest and
biggest Bluie I've ever seen. One day I caught my husband throwing
snails down into the pipe. When I asked him what he was doing he
looked a bit embarrassed and said he was feeding the Blue. He'd
apparently been doing it for about a year. No wonder the Bluie was so
big :-))

I haven't seen one yet. Still too cold.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

"HC" wrote in message
[...]

Now I can also empathise with that! In the house where my husband
used to feed the big bloke, we had one which would come and lie in
front of the slow combustion stove. Used to scare the crap out of me
as I'd come into the kitchen and see something scuttle on the floor
out of the corner of my eye. To this day I still have no idea where
he hid when he wasn't basking by the fire.

It always worried me that if a Bluie could find his way in then it
would be so much easier for a snake to do so given that they only need
a hole the size of a thumb.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:47 PM posted to aus.gardens

HC wrote:

Then finally I decided to wheel my chair a little further and look in
the other direction when all of a sudden the wheel came against
something on the floor and when I looked down here were two bluey's
at my feet looking up as if to say 'we are here Mum, where's our
tucker?'

They were hoping you would die so they could feed on you.
I hope the snakes have come out of hibernation. It's about to get cold and
very wet, and hopefully they'll die (and the lizards can feed on THEM).

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

Old 05-09-2006, 03:48 PM posted to aus.gardens

HC wrote:

Then finally
I decided to wheel my chair a little further and look in the other
direction when all of a sudden the wheel came against something on the
floor and when I looked down here were two bluey's at my feet looking up
as if to say 'we are here Mum, where's our tucker?'

Aw cute. I had no idea they could become so tame as to come looking for
you.

We have a couple of very big piles of cleared (fallen) old logs &
underbrush that will need burning before it gets too warm. I'm a bit
worried that they may have become homes for lizards and other wildlife,
so does anybody know how I could try to flush them out before we set
fire to these huge heaps?

I certainly don't want to cook poor lil' lizards if they're in there (or
even snakes actually.)

Doug's mint - dougs-mint.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 06-08-2007 05:44 PM
Distilling Mint Nicholas Gardening 4 18-04-2003 04:44 PM
LINK-INDIA: Menthol mint... Frederick Noronha \(FN\) sci.agriculture 1 17-04-2003 12:56 AM
Purchasing Mint for garden. Texas Garden Edible Gardening 2 17-03-2003 11:56 PM
Penny Royal Mint dying off Michael Singmin Gardening 0 21-02-2003 08:27 AM