Old 31-07-2006, 09:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default plant i.d. when you don't know where to start...?

bonjour,

at our new property we'll be moving to soonish, there are a number of plants
that i don't know, & don't know how to find out what they are either! i've
looked at various online resources, but they tend to be either geographic,
OR, based around plant family, or based around recommendations for "plants
for a boggy spot", "plants for a dry, windswept area", you know, that sort
of thing. the books i have are similar & haven't been any help with the
(literally) couple of things i want to identify.

assuming one hasn't the first idea of plant family, native or exotic, or any
of the usual distinctions, how does one go about finding out what soemthing
is, when you know _nothing_ except what it looks like? does anyone know of
any good online photographic resources (say, helpfully divided into
categories like "tree", "shrub" etc? g

or, is my best bet going to be investing in copies of "what tree is that?" &
all of those?

i'm a bit despondent because i suspect that what i need just doesn't exist
:-)

tia for any help.
kylie

Old 31-07-2006, 04:32 PM posted to aus.gardens

Sawasdee krab Kylie,

My usual thought is to either upload a picture onto a website and then ask
people here to identify them by giving the link.

Another alternative is to take a piece of the plant to your local nursery
and seek the horticulturist (hence not the 16 y/o on the till). Your state's
department of agriculture might have someone who can help also.

Locals may be able to help even if it is just a common name.

Oh and lastly IDing plants is easier if they are in flower as well.

Cheers

Richard

&

Old 31-07-2006, 10:17 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day kylie,

yes as loosecannon has said upload some pics online ie.,. photobucket
maybe there are others i have no preference as i have my own web site
to use.

once you upload the pics then come back here and put a new post with
the page url in the post then there is a chance help will come your
way.

the plant world is designed for horticulturists so very hard for us
novices to know where to begin.

looking forward to your new post

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:46:04 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com
Old 01-08-2006, 01:43 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
[...]

Post pics as others have said .... and also note a few things if they are
not clear in the pics
.... are the leaves alternately or oppositely placed along the stem?.
Are the leaves single leaves or pinnate (disected leaves) - you can check by
tking note if there is a leaf bud above the attachment to the stem.
Note the overall leaf shape.
Note the bark type .
Note the form (tree, shrub etc).
and the real thing will be the flowers ... note how many sepals, petals and
their attachment above or below the ovary (fruit).
Note if they are in clusters, single, amd whether they are at the ends of
the branches or not.
Number of stamens (pollen carrying bits).
If the stigma (girly bit - not carrying pollen) is disected.
if there is fruit, slice horizontally and count the number of chambers.

This info should help anyone with an appropriate key to find out for you.
I've got a good rainforest sp key which I've used for years, and *may* be
able to help even if its not an Aust native (given that I'm a botanist who's
taught taxonomy at uni ... going back a few years though so I'm very rusty).

Failing all this, you could try taking a shoot (with flowers if possible) to
the local Landcare gp, Greening Australia gp, garden club, garden centre,
DPI service etc.
Amanda

Old 01-08-2006, 07:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

"FlowerGirl" wrote in message

"0tterbot" wrote in message
[...]

I also imagine you've looked at the ASGAP website ....
http://farrer.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/index.html
and lots of pics of native plants with descriptions:
http://farrer.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/gallery.html

Old 05-08-2006, 04:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

[...]

thanks very much to everyone for the tips! (esp. amanda for all the detail,
which i've taken on board) - when i can, i think i'll go with finding a free
site & posting pics to ask you here to start with since you're all so keen
g!. it truly is literally a couple of things. one i only care what it is
in order to find out how to kill it. :-|

I also imagine you've looked at the ASGAP website ....
http://farrer.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/index.html
and lots of pics of native plants with descriptions:
http://farrer.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/gallery.html

it's a really nice site! alas, for a ninny like me, it's only helpful where
i know plant family already. tbh i was looking for casuarinas on there (as
one thing i want to know about is, apparently, called 'casuarina' by the
locals, but i've never seen anything like it on any other site where there
are pics & descriptions of the various casuarinas - but couldn't see
casuarinas there at all..? so you can understand my problem, i'm sure - i'm
starting from a point of near-total ignorance of plant species. :-)
hopeless, i am!!! thanks v. much for the help, i'll see how i go.
kylie

Old 05-08-2006, 02:27 PM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
[...]

mmm I looked and came up with this
http://www.anbg.gov.au/images/photo_cd/casuarinaceae

Cheers