Old 19-08-2006, 10:05 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Tree for aviary?

Im looking for a plant to put in a finch aviary.
The tree will be potted and receive regular drip irrigation. Thin or small
leaves would be best.
I thought of a melaleuca leucodendra, that I would basically bonsai.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?\

Thanks,
Scott.

Old 19-08-2006, 01:37 PM posted to aus.gardens

Scott Davies wrote:
Im looking for a plant to put in a finch aviary.
The tree will be potted and receive regular drip irrigation. Thin or

small
leaves would be best.
I thought of a melaleuca leucodendra, that I would basically bonsai.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?\

Thanks,
Scott.

A very small leafed tree that I am partial to is the Shishi-Gashira
(sp?)- a Japanese maple with lovely tight leaf bunches would look
terrific with delicate little finches. Very pretty but it's deciduous
and I wouldn't know whether that's suitable for an aviary.

At a house we used to rent there were some massive Silky Oaks and tiny
little wild finches seemed to hang around them a lot. They also liked a
big old Banksia that was there.

Perhaps some of the native bird-attracting bushes like Bottle Brush
types might be suitable. Just guessing tho'. Would they like some of
the sweet nectar producing plants? But the Leucodentra you already
thought of sounds great. Some of the experts from in here will know if
they suit, for sure.

Old 20-08-2006, 12:20 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 21:37:50 +1000, Linda H wrote:

A very small leafed tree that I am partial to is the Shishi-Gashira
(sp?)- a Japanese maple with lovely tight leaf bunches would look

Shishi gashira is a camellia sasanqua. Are you thinking of the red stemmed maple called 'Senkaki'
(also called 'Sango Kaku')?