Old 27-08-2006, 06:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Needing identification on a tree

"Ms Leebee" wrote in message
Hi there.
Sorry for the gatecrash on the group !

Looking for identification of a tree in my yard.

It has red and green leaves all of the time, ( so it's not deciduous, and
not evergreen ). It also has yellow 'spikes' as flowers which may or may
not be a form of wattle ( ? )

It has a grey trunk.

I like this tree, but it isn't a good specimen ( lower brances appear to
have been ripped off ) and could be diseased in part ? Outer branches

look
so dry and grey they could be dead, yet leaves still grow, so ?

Recent gale force winds ( it took a whupping ) have made me reconsider
keeping it, but I like it so
much, I figured if it does have to go, I will simply buy another.

Pics have been posted in: alt.binaries.ozdebate, and
bigpond.broadband.binaries.

TIA.

Looks like Omalanthus populifolious (native bleeding heart). May be O.nutans
now after a name change??
http://www.anbg.gov.au/images/photo_...22188/038.html

A rainforest tree.
Amanda

Old 27-08-2006, 06:29 AM posted to aus.gardens

"FlowerGirl" wrote in message

"Ms Leebee" wrote in message
[...]

I do think it is Omalanthus from your pics and your description.
The leaves can be almost heart shaped and red (derr the common name). Its a
rainforest poineer species (which means its the first generation of plants
that colonise a gap in the rainforest) amd it brings in the birs which in
turn bring in the seeds for the secondary r'forest species.
I also like the tree. ... its a native (to Australia, maybe not to
Melbourne
Amanda

Old 27-08-2006, 06:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Ms Leebee" wrote in message
[...]

...and I think the name *has* changed to Omalanthus nutans. ... which is also
the same as O. novo-guinensis (which is what I used to know it as) ....
maybe google those names for some pics and compare.
Also - you could check to see if it has milky sap (pick a young stem) as
Euphorbiacea species usually have this feature.....