Old 29-08-2006, 11:08 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default non-flowering daffodils

In my area of Sydney (inner) daffodils mostly come up non-flowering in
the second season after planting.

Does anybody know whether the bulbs ever produce flowers in a season
after one in which they have been non-flowering? I suspect that once
they have been non-flowering then they will never flower again.

Has anybody any experience (i.e. experience as distinct from
anecdotes) with how to stop them going into a non-flowering condition.

I did read about digging them up in autumn and putting them in the
fridge for a couple of months. That didn't work for me.

Old 30-08-2006, 02:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

Richard Wright wrote:
In my area of Sydney (inner) daffodils mostly come up non-flowering in
the second season after planting.

Does anybody know whether the bulbs ever produce flowers in a season
after one in which they have been non-flowering? I suspect that once
they have been non-flowering then they will never flower again.

Has anybody any experience (i.e. experience as distinct from
anecdotes) with how to stop them going into a non-flowering condition.

I did read about digging them up in autumn and putting them in the
fridge for a couple of months. That didn't work for me.

Insufficient nutrient availability is probably the main reason for poor
flowering in Daff's. Start feeding them with a high potassium
fertiliser/commercial bulb food. Normally you'd do this after flowering
until they go dormant. I wouldn't have thought Sydney winters were warm
enough to necessitate putting them in the fridge.

Old 31-08-2006, 01:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Richard Wright" wrote in message

In my area of Sydney (inner) daffodils mostly come up non-flowering

in
the second season after planting.

Sydney isn't naturally cold enough for daffodils. You need to lift
them each year and put then in a paper bag int he crisper section of
the fridge for 6 weeks before replanting them.

Does anybody know whether the bulbs ever produce flowers in a season
after one in which they have been non-flowering? I suspect that once
they have been non-flowering then they will never flower again.

No they just need cold (at least in Sydney). They will reflower if
treated right.

I did read about digging them up in autumn and putting them in the
fridge for a couple of months. That didn't work for me.

How long did you put them in the fridge for and did you put them in a
sunny spot when you replanted them? And they don't like to be
overfed.

Old 31-08-2006, 07:47 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
[...]

I heard that in Australia there is no need to refrigerate.

I recently looked up the same problem. It turns out if they're not planted
deeply enough, they won't flower, and they're bulblets become non-flowering
bulbs. I'm not sure if this can be fixed. Also some varieties may only
flower every 2nd year, so you may be flowerless sometimes - it's a good idea
to plant new ones in the flowerless year.

I've planted mine deeper now, so I'll see if they flower next year, if they
don't I think I might take them out and start again with some new ones.
It's a shame because I had all sorts of varieties.

Jen

Old 31-08-2006, 03:08 PM posted to aus.gardens

Some rotten bird has been murdering my white narcissus. I had huge drifts of
them under the (sticklike) birches, and every day they are snipped off (put
them in little vases).
The dwarf daffs came out on the rock walls last week.
And this week, finally, the king alfred giant daffs came out, they were the
first to sprout up but the last to flower. they're in a very protected
garden, it might not have been cold enough.
Quite a good show this year.

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

Old 01-09-2006, 03:13 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Jen" wrote in message
[...]

Well that seems strange advice given the range of climates in Oz.
What climate was the writer talking about? Growing daffs in Hobart is
certainly very different to trying to grow then in Brisbane.

I recently looked up the same problem. It turns out if they're not

planted
deeply enough, they won't flower, and they're bulblets become

non-flowering
bulbs. I'm not sure if this can be fixed.

Small bulbs won't flower so when you separate them from the mother
plant just replant them and give them a while to grow fat and they
should come right.

Do you dead head your daffs? Leaving the seed heads on them can cause
non flowering as can the too shallow planting or dryness or not enough
sun.

I've planted mine deeper now, so I'll see if they flower next year,

if they
don't I think I might take them out and start again with some new

ones.
It's a shame because I had all sorts of varieties.

You have my sympathy as I lost a few varieties in the worst of the
drought.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
Richard Wright wrote:

In my area of Sydney (inner) daffodils mostly come up non-flowering in
the second season after planting.

Does anybody know whether the bulbs ever produce flowers in a season
after one in which they have been non-flowering? I suspect that once
they have been non-flowering then they will never flower again.

Probably. Flowering is triggered after frost, and Sydney's winters are milder
than they used to be. We didn't have a single frost this year.

Has anybody any experience (i.e. experience as distinct from
anecdotes) with how to stop them going into a non-flowering condition.

I did read about digging them up in autumn and putting them in the
fridge for a couple of months. That didn't work for me.

Were the bulbs nice and fat when you dug them up?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 02-09-2006, 11:03 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

"Jen" wrote in message
[...]

Do you think they'll come good though??

Jen

Old 02-09-2006, 12:48 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Jen" wrote in message
[...]

Yes I do, but there are a few provisos. You need frost or to cold
treat them if you live in a frost free area and you need to grow the
small ones till they are big and fat and plant the daffs in sun (deep
as you know) and deadhead the flowers so that they don't get the fat
seed pod where the flower was. And don't cut or tie the foliage even
though it looks untidy and give them a bit of a feed after flowering
something like tomato food will work.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:37 PM posted to aus.gardens

I've had a wonderful show of daffodills this year. But, oddly, the ones that
started coming up first, have only just now begun flowering. And, they were
in a sheltered garden, on the east side, with a raised stair on the east
side. The others, a bit more exposed, have come and gone quite fast. And
just now, the last few days, these big yellow things have all flowered.
so I suspect that this lot got the steady sun to keep them coming, but the
sudden big warm knocked them off course.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:47 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

"Jen" wrote in message
[...]

I'm in Melbourne, we have the frosts. The other things I do. Thanks.
Hopefully next year they'll be right then.

Jen