Old 27-09-2006, 12:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default the remarkable "Diesel Tree"

/* I posted this to another group, it might be of interest here too */

There have been a few interviews here in Australia with a hobby farmer
who is planting a few thousand "diesel trees". He doesn't plan to profit
from the venture, it's more out of curiosity. He says that the tree
produces a sap which can be poured directly into the fuel tank of a diesel
vehicle.

A google search on "diesel tree" reveals that there is such a tree, it
comes from Brazil. Each can yield up to 20 litres of diesel twice per year,
with a productive life of up to 70 years. Its timber is sought after by
cabinetmakers, too. As a fuel source, it won't pose any threat to Esso,
but does offer the possibility of a small farmer (in the tree's tropical
growing region) becoming self-sufficient in terms of liquid fuel if he
makes the land available. Maybe this tree is the origin of turpentine?

Old 27-09-2006, 08:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

"John Savage" wrote in message
There have been a few interviews here in Australia with a hobby

farmer
who is planting a few thousand "diesel trees". (snip) Maybe this

tree is the origin of turpentine?

No, 'tis the pine family:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpentine

Old 27-09-2006, 08:56 AM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:

He says that the tree
produces a sap which can be poured directly into the fuel tank of a diesel
vehicle.

Ooh! I want one of those. I absolutely LOVE the smell of diesel; I'd
just lay under it a sniff it.