Old 30-09-2006, 07:41 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Onion Weed big time - Help

"Greg William" wrote in message
Hi,

I did some landscaping last year and put in about 10 Ton of "PREMIUM"
garden mix (at about $50.00 per ton)

I got this from a very reputable supplier,thinking it would be "weed"

free.

Every where I have put this "soil", heaps of onion weed has come up and is
thriving!

I have notified the supplier of the problem,to see what they have to

say,but
what is the best way to get rid if it?

I have used roundup ,and ended up killing some other plants as well as the
onion weed

if the weed is not too dense try applying a little dab of neat roundup (or
cheaper generic brand) to the stem or leaf of the weed and see how that
works).

rob

Old 30-09-2006, 12:59 PM posted to aus.gardens

"HC" wrote in message

If the OP slices all those tomatoes, I'd love to see a photo!!

Sorry......shouldn't make fun of someone's problem but couldn't help
myself!!

Truly, I think Glysophate (Roundup) in a wick wand would be the way I'd
go. Time consuming I know but from what I've heard, Onion Weed is a
giant PITA!!

tomato and onion on Pita, sounds like a healthy sandwich.

rob

Old 01-10-2006, 01:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

Hi,

I did some landscaping last year and put in about 10 Ton of "PREMIUM"
garden mix (at about $50.00 per ton)

I got this from a very reputable supplier,thinking it would be "weed" free.

Every where I have put this "soil", heaps of onion weed has come up and is
thriving!

I have notified the supplier of the problem,to see what they have to say,but
what is the best way to get rid if it?

I have used roundup ,and ended up killing some other plants as well as the
onion weed

A lot of it is not real easy to get too, as its growing up under other
plants.

TIA

Greg

Old 01-10-2006, 04:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

G'day Greg,
Other than full soil fumigation (big bucks and kills
everything), I know of no other solution than glyphosate, and it takes many
repeat treatments. An initial spraying usually kills the main bulb, but then
the small side bulbs emerge. You just have to keep at it. Digging them out
is hopeless as you will just spread it further. In the days before glypho
the only realistic solution was to sell and move. Frankly I think you need a
solicitor, as the damage done will cost both money and hours of time,
devalue your property and ruin your enjoyment of your garden. Soil merchants
like this should be publicly exposed and dealt with by law. I'll bet you are
not the only customer with the problem, class action stuff.

What can I say, have a nice day?

China
Wingham
NSW

Old 01-10-2006, 04:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

Greg William wrote:
Hi,

I did some landscaping last year and put in about 10 Ton of "PREMIUM"
garden mix (at about $50.00 per ton)

I got this from a very reputable supplier,thinking it would be "weed" free.

Please post the supplier to save other people this problem.

Every where I have put this "soil", heaps of onion weed has come up and is
thriving!

Well, Gerry on Gardening Australia said all you needed to do was to put
a few drops of car oil down the centre of the plant, but I must be using
the wrong grade oil or something because they seem to still be thriving
months later. plueeeee

I've never had glychophospate achive much on them as the *******s just
keep growing.

My next trick is just to soak the onion weed patches with used car oil
and turn my front lawn into a large chess/draughts board {:-).

Old 01-10-2006, 07:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Greg William" wrote in message

Every where I have put this "soil", heaps of onion weed has come up

and is
thriving!

I have notified the supplier of the problem,to see what they have to
say,but what is the best way to get rid if it?

I have used roundup ,and ended up killing some other plants as well

as the
onion weed

I know this is going to sound silly, but one of the books I have says
that a slice of tomato placed directly on top of the onion weed kills
it.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

Terryc wrote:
Greg William wrote:

[...]

Open a wrecking yard. Never see much union weed in those places.
Suggest suing the supplier of the soils supplied to you would be the way
to go.
Also would run an Ad in the local paper and look for other victims of
this supplier of free weeds.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jen" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Greg William" wrote in message

Every where I have put this "soil", heaps of onion weed has come

up
and is
thriving!

I have notified the supplier of the problem,to see what they have

say,but what is the best way to get rid if it?

I have used roundup ,and ended up killing some other plants as

well
as the
onion weed

I know this is going to sound silly, but one of the books I have

says
that a slice of tomato placed directly on top of the onion weed

kills
it.

Imagine all the tomato he'd use if he's got as much as he says.

:-)) One big tomato salad for a garden :-))

Old 05-10-2006, 09:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

I've got a truck load of "topdressing" arriving at the weekend and am
dreading how many weeds it will bring - put the grass desperately needs it.
I agree - talk to a solicitor - or at least approach the Nurserymans'
Association if the supplier is a member

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...

Old 06-10-2006, 02:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Greg William" writes:
Every where I have put this "soil", heaps of onion weed has come up and is
thriving!

Flocks of sulphur-crested cockatoos descend on parks to pull up onion-weed
for its tasty onion bulb. You don't have a pet one you could train?

I have used roundup ,and ended up killing some other plants as well as the
onion weed

I believe I've heard Graham Ross (Ch 7) say that the only way to have
any success in getting rid of onion weed is to use an eye dropper and drip
a couple of drops of neat Zero straight down into the crown of the plant so
it runs into the heart and kills all the bulblettes in the cluster. Repeat
this exercise each Spring.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:
"Greg William" writes:

Every where I have put this "soil", heaps of onion weed has come up and is
thriving!

Flocks of sulphur-crested cockatoos descend on parks to pull up onion-weed
for its tasty onion bulb. You don't have a pet one you could train?

I have used roundup ,and ended up killing some other plants as well as the
onion weed

I believe I've heard Graham Ross (Ch 7) say that the only way to have
any success in getting rid of onion weed is to use an eye dropper and drip
a couple of drops of neat Zero straight down into the crown of the plant so
it runs into the heart and kills all the bulblettes in the cluster. Repeat
this exercise each Spring.

I dug all the litle ba*&^%$ds upby removing the soil, placing layers of
Newspapers over what was left, new soil, and had great success till what
was left (hidden and not seen) started the cycle again. I let the missus
take care of it, so she just pulled them out, making a molehill into a
mountain...All the bulblets had a picnic at being brought to the surface
She was told what to do,dont pull them out as it makes them spread, as
JS wrote, roundup neat applied does the trick, but took no notice. After
all the backbreaking work, I figure its now her problem... But now she
appears to have spread them to my vegetable garden. I will have to
dispose of her body soon!!! ARRRGHH
Old 06-10-2006, 10:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Greg William" wrote in message
Hi,

I did some landscaping last year and put in about 10 Ton of "PREMIUM"
garden mix (at about $50.00 per ton)

I got this from a very reputable supplier,thinking it would be "weed"
free.

Every where I have put this "soil", heaps of onion weed has come up and is
thriving!

I have notified the supplier of the problem,to see what they have to
say,but what is the best way to get rid if it?

I have used roundup ,and ended up killing some other plants as well as the
onion weed

A lot of it is not real easy to get too, as its growing up under other
plants.

TIA

Greg

Same thing happened to me except in Esperance WA it was $100 a ton.
I kept pulling the onion weed out as it grew.
I have been doing it for a year and it seems to have nearly all gone.
You have to keep on top of it or it seeds very quickly, hence another lot
pops up.
good luck
Nancy

Old 06-10-2006, 02:51 PM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:

I believe I've heard Graham Ross (Ch 7) say that the only way to have
any success in getting rid of onion weed is to use an eye dropper and drip
a couple of drops of neat Zero straight down into the crown of the plant so
it runs into the heart and kills all the bulblettes in the cluster. Repeat
this exercise each Spring.

I will bet that he has never actually done this in reality.

Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets John Vanini United Kingdom 7 06-08-2007 12:16 AM
Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets John Vanini Edible Gardening 17 27-07-2007 04:12 PM
Onion weed Ian J Robinson Australia 4 10-10-2006 12:00 PM
onion weed removal? speed45 Australia 4 18-09-2005 08:59 PM
Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Troy Church Ponds 7 05-04-2005 09:22 PM