GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Onion weed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/150155-onion-weed.html)

Ian J Robinson 08-10-2006 10:43 AM

Onion weed

I believe that a product called 'DACTHAL', a pre-emergence chemical, will
control Onion Weed.
It evidently attacks the bulb, (the heart of the weed), and stops it from
growing.
I'm only a home gardener so I can't vouch for the efficiency of this
product.
Robby

APR 08-10-2006 12:11 PM

Onion weed

http://www.weeds.asn.au/weeds/txts/oniongr.html

loosecanon 08-10-2006 03:04 PM

Onion weed

"APR" wrote in message

http://www.weeds.asn.au/weeds/txts/oniongr.html

We call the Guildford Grass here and it is different to the onion weed I
know....

Richard

TinanaTaffy 09-10-2006 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosecanon
"APR" wrote in message

http://www.weeds.asn.au/weeds/txts/oniongr.html

We call the Guildford Grass here and it is different to the onion weed I
know....

Richard

I agree with you there. The onion weed I know of has small white flowers on long stems and long slender blades - and I believe it is a member of the Oxalis family. I tried for quite a few years to get rid of it in my garden while I lived in Sydney, but no matter what I did, I was never totally successful - and that included using Glyphosate (round-up) diluted as per the instructions, and even used neat. No matter how much of it I killed, more would come up elsewhere.

Chookie 10-10-2006 12:00 PM

Onion weed

In article ,
"Loosecanon" wrote:

"APR" wrote in message

http://www.weeds.asn.au/weeds/txts/oniongr.html

We call the Guildford Grass here and it is different to the onion weed I
know....

At school, we called them Puddings -- you can dig the corm up and eat it. It
is pudding-shaped, of course.

What I call Onion Weed is Nothoscordum inodorum.
http://www.biologia.edu.ar/botanica/...5/nothinod.jpg

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue