Old 12-10-2006, 01:18 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default My mulberry tree got hit by the frosts

Hi there.
At the beginning of August I planted a mulberry tress (a couple of years
old, from a nursery) in my yard. It was going really well with leaves and
flowers and things until the two nights of frosts that we had about 2 weeks
ago (the ones that have got the fruit growers groaning). Leaves and flowers
died. I'm not sure if the tree's rooted (so to speak) as I'm not willing to
cut a little off to see.

Any experience with this before? I'm assuming the plant's ok, but I haven't
seen any evidence of new growth yet.

I'm fairly new to this gardening lark and trying to learn as I go. I live in
Thurgoona (near Albury), and have at the same time planted a quince, a
pommegranate, and 2 medlars. These all seem to have survived the frosts.

Thanks for your help

Kathy

Old 12-10-2006, 04:06 PM posted to aus.gardens

Kathryn Vickers wrote:

Any experience with this before? I'm assuming the plant's ok, but I haven't
seen any evidence of new growth yet.

Look for new leaf buds. If they are not appearing with the warmer
weather, then they may have also been frozen. you can only wait.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:58 PM posted to aus.gardens

Kathryn Vickers wrote:
Hi there.
At the beginning of August I planted a mulberry tress (a couple of years
old, from a nursery) in my yard. It was going really well with leaves and
flowers and things until the two nights of frosts that we had about 2 weeks
ago (the ones that have got the fruit growers groaning). Leaves and flowers
died. I'm not sure if the tree's rooted (so to speak) as I'm not willing to
cut a little off to see.

Any experience with this before? I'm assuming the plant's ok, but I haven't
seen any evidence of new growth yet.

I'm fairly new to this gardening lark and trying to learn as I go. I live in
Thurgoona (near Albury), and have at the same time planted a quince, a
pommegranate, and 2 medlars. These all seem to have survived the frosts.

Thanks for your help

Kathy

Dont be impatient. The tree should survive.
Its thinking of what to do next. Plants are slow to respond for a reason...
It will usually recover OK as our frost seem to damage foliage and the
rest will carry on after some sulking.
Just wait, dont trim anything, and if you must check to see if its
alive, just trim a few thicker branches. You wont harm anything. There
will be green under the surface.
Dont feed the palnt till it starts to show leaves again, and water
normally (that is if you have any water....)