Old 16-10-2006, 07:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default urban legend? Avocados and parrots

Hi All,

I was watching a TV vet the other night and he said that avocados were
toxic to parrots, but that parrots loved them. Does this mean that
home or orchard avocados are a lethal trap for local parrots and
cockatoos?

Thanks,
Tish
Old 16-10-2006, 09:27 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day trish,

that would appear to be what they where alluding to hey??

the mind boggles as to how many birds of teh parrot family are dying
due to avacado orchids let alone home gardeners, and why only the
parrot family is their system distinctly diffeent from other birds?

dunno sometiems when we see things on tv one wonders if there isn't a
barrow being pushed in the interest of vested interests?

len

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 15:47:38 +1000, Tish
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com
Old 17-10-2006, 02:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com

I would have thought we'de hear a lot more about this if it was
true....wouldn't that mean legions of parrots would be dropping dead
anywhere there was an avocado tree or orchard? Wouldn't wildlife groups be
hitting the farmers, and everyone else, over the head with it by now? I
can't imagine them standing by and watching the carnage continue, so I am a
leeetle suspicious on this story!

Old 17-10-2006, 02:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

Tish wrote:
Hi All,

I was watching a TV vet the other night and he said that avocados were
toxic to parrots, but that parrots loved them. Does this mean that
home or orchard avocados are a lethal trap for local parrots and
cockatoos?

Thanks,
Tish

It would appear that avocados are toxic to birds especially parrots. I
did a goole search on avocados and parrots and avocados and birds and
it appears it is not an urban legend.

One from the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
demonstrated the budgerigars are more suseptable than canaries :-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Citation

Old 17-10-2006, 06:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

"GreenieLeBrun" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tish wrote:
Hi All,

I was watching a TV vet the other night and he said that avocados were
toxic to parrots, but that parrots loved them. Does this mean that
home or orchard avocados are a lethal trap for local parrots and
cockatoos?

Thanks,
Tish

It would appear that avocados are toxic to birds especially parrots. I
did a goole search on avocados and parrots and avocados and birds and
it appears it is not an urban legend.

One from the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
demonstrated the budgerigars are more suseptable than canaries :-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Citation

Well there you go! The evidence is overwhelming...*sigh* I hang my head in
shame ! Still, I';m wondering how avocado farmers sweep all the dead
cockatoos under the rug....

Old 17-10-2006, 06:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

Tish wrote:
[...]

May be it's the avocados way of getting extra fertilizer and all the
farmers do is dig the birds in. I wonder if avocados are related to
Triffids?

Old 17-10-2006, 06:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

Tish wrote:
[...]

Hmmm they are kind of green. And lumpy. Although I've never met anyone who
was scared of an avocado, I'm sure there are avocadophobes out there. If
they had eyes they'd be scarier....*shudder*

Old 17-10-2006, 05:31 PM posted to aus.gardens
GOW GOW is offline

Sorry about the rant but ....

The only good parrot is a dead one IMO. They have completely ruined my
gardening dream here in WA.

I bought the perfect acre block with good aspect, soil and plenty of bore
water. Shaped, manured, reticulated, planted, nurtured, waited then lost
the crop. So I learned my lesson and spent a lot of time and small fortune
on netting just so they could chew through that and eat everything anyway
( I think they see it as some sort of plastic packaging).
I have installed so many flashing spinning mirror things that you need
Flared pants and welding glasses to approach the house; they worked for
nearly a day on the birds but the disco is endless. And the array of
suspended fake eagles on high wires was truly impressive but our parrots are
made of sterner stuff. so I took them down; I feel they were mocking me as I
was the only being disturbed by their constant swooping.

Parrots eat everything I grow to the point I have had to pull out my rose
garden and grow a handful of bushes inside of a wire cage so the wife can
get a few blooms; they rip the bushes to pieces, seems the centre of the
stems must be quite tasty.
Off of an acre that was planted with all manner of fruit trees and bushes we
get a few citrus (none of the mandarins though coz they like them), the
remainder of the mulberries and bugger all else.
Avocados don't seem to worry them because what they don't eat they continue
their experiments with gravity by biting them off and watching them fall,
they learned this by practicing on the macadamias and the whole olive crop;
every damn year! (Olive harvest from 2 trees last season = 4 litres of
fruit). Not even pomegranate get to ripen - how do they know there are
seeds inside hey can eat? And please don't mention the subtropicals, my
doctor says I should try to stay calm.

I got really devious a couple of years ago and planted a big crop of super
hot Thai chillies to make chillie spray for the fruit. Reasoning was spray
the young fruit to discourage the feathered thieving bikies but the problem
was when the chillies were ripening the parrots got in and ate the lot; they
had finished the tomatoes by then you see.

So far I have pulled out all the berries, stone fruit, guavas, custard
apples and just let them eat the remainder. It costs way more in netting
than the produce is worth.

So kill them all then resuscitate them and kill them a second time I say!!!!

Now how to keep rabbits from eating the rest of the garden?

Thank god for Woolworths or we would starve.

I am going to lay down now.