Old 22-10-2006, 03:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Mulches

I am putting in my lovely veggie bed this weekend. What are the pros and
cons of using hay, pea straw and sugar cane mulches? I'm interested in
personal experience.
Cheers
Liz

Old 22-10-2006, 05:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Staycalm" wrote in message
I am putting in my lovely veggie bed this weekend. What are the pros

and
cons of using hay, pea straw and sugar cane mulches? I'm interested

in
personal experience.

I prefer pea straw or lucerne hay as it breaks down into good food for
soil biota after it's done it's job of protecting the soil. I don't
like plain hay - too weedy. Never tried sugar cane. Have used old
leaves too and they work well.

Old 22-10-2006, 05:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

Farm1 wrote:
"Staycalm" wrote in message

I am putting in my lovely veggie bed this weekend. What are the pros

and

cons of using hay, pea straw and sugar cane mulches? I'm interested

in

personal experience.

I prefer pea straw or lucerne hay as it breaks down into good food for
soil biota after it's done it's job of protecting the soil. I don't
like plain hay - too weedy. Never tried sugar cane. Have used old
leaves too and they work well.

Re Pea straw, this has the advantage of also adding a few peas to the
mix, which flower nicely, as well as adding nitrogen to the
soil...w\then you dig them in if you want to.
Best shot to re liven up garden throw in a few hand fulls of peas in
very late winterand dig them in before planting your summer crop to
make soil even better for growing nitrogen loving plants. Has the
advantage of worms being attracted...
Old 22-10-2006, 07:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

Staycalm wrote:
I am putting in my lovely veggie bed this weekend. What are the pros and
cons of using hay, pea straw and sugar cane mulches? I'm interested in
personal experience.

We jusy go with whatever is cheapest. Tend to prefer baled straw or
lucerne as it is chunckier and has more structure, which shelters
emerging seedlings a bit better

The chopped stuff in compressed plastic bags seem too fine and dusty to
me (lucerne). The fine stuff will probably break down faster.

Old 22-10-2006, 11:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
I am putting in my lovely veggie bed this weekend. What are the pros and
cons of using hay, pea straw and sugar cane mulches? I'm interested in
personal experience.
Cheers
Liz

I live in Esperance WA
I go to the beach and get lots of sea weed
to round my veges and then dig it in an apply
more as needed.
It is one of the best mulches and soil builders.
cheers
Nancy

Old 22-10-2006, 07:56 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day liz,

they should all be good mulches, my favourite is the grass hay
mulches, have used sugar cane never used pea straw (never seen it
available). got concerns about the amount of chemical used in growing
sugar cane (plus around here some of the farms have been reported as
having fire ants on them). my reckoning is that the fodder grass hays
come from a variety of growing conditions so should have different
elements available and maybe more elements than say mono-cropped cane.

least wise i don't need to use fertilisers/manures in my gardens.

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:42:59 +1000, "Staycalm"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com
Old 22-10-2006, 10:49 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Staycalm" wrote in message
I am putting in my lovely veggie bed this weekend. What are the pros

and
cons of using hay, pea straw and sugar cane mulches? I'm interested

in
personal experience.

I prefer pea straw or lucerne hay as it breaks down into good food for
soil biota after it's done it's job of protecting the soil. I don't
like plain hay - too weedy. Never tried sugar cane. Have used old
leaves too and they work well.

We use sorghum SWMBO got 2 trailer loads yesterday. The bad news was that
she had to get it, as the bales (300kg ea) have broken and so the good
farmer no longer delivers at no charge for delivery or product. It got wet a
few years ago and he could not sell it, but our small gardening community
has been helping by lowering his stocks of it. Also breaks down well and
conditions the soil beaut.
Jim

Old 23-10-2006, 03:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

Nancy wrote:
I live in Esperance WA
I go to the beach and get lots of sea weed
to round my veges and then dig it in an apply
more as needed.
It is one of the best mulches and soil builders.

Fabulous stuff, but be careful collecting it - I know someone
who was fined for collecting seaweed.

We use peastraw. It goes into the rabbit house for a week
or two, then onto the garden. Fabulous stuff. You get peas
coming up, but they are easy to weed. I don't use wheat
traw much because of the weeds, and I don't think it has
much nutrient value. I wouldn't use hay - you don't know
what weeds you might get.

Old 23-10-2006, 05:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message

I wouldn't use hay - you don't know
what weeds you might get.

I agree. We bought in hay for the cattle one year and then got bloody
Patersons Curse all over the farm. It's taken about 10 years to get
rid of it. And stupidly, I used some of this same sodding hay in my
garden - grrrrrrr! Never again. It's now fusspot time for all my
mulch materials.