GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Drought (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/150629-drought.html)

Staycalm 28-10-2006 01:35 PM

Drought

I went to a nursery today to get mulch. They had no pea straw and no lucerne
hay. They said because of the drought that they were having trouble getting
it from anywhere. Anyone else been finding this?

Liz

Tony Nash 28-10-2006 11:44 PM

Drought

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
I went to a nursery today to get mulch. They had no pea straw and no

lucerne
hay. They said because of the drought that they were having trouble

getting
it from anywhere. Anyone else been finding this?

Liz

Bunnings have heaps here, i'm in Rooty Hill.

Farm1 29-10-2006 03:49 AM

Drought

"Staycalm" wrote in message
I went to a nursery today to get mulch. They had no pea straw and no

lucerne
hay. They said because of the drought that they were having trouble

getting
it from anywhere. Anyone else been finding this?

If you have one in your area go to a rural supplier but expect to pay
through the nose for any mulching material let alone the good stuff
that is used as animal feed like lucerne.

Terryc 29-10-2006 05:00 AM

Drought

Farm1 wrote:

If you have one in your area go to a rural supplier but expect to pay
through the nose for any mulching material let alone the good stuff
that is used as animal feed like lucerne.

$17/bale, either the real stuff (straw or lucerne), which I like for
seedling protection, or chopped stuff in plastic bags (lucerne, straw,
pea , sugar cane) which appears to be only good as a light surface cover
for some water retention and quick break down.

Hmm, I just remembered that our rural supply bloke at one stage sold
bales of rice husks which we used for rabbit shed flooring. They were
also okay for mulching, but not everyone could handle a wool pack.

Tony Nash 29-10-2006 08:52 AM

Drought

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Staycalm" wrote in message
I went to a nursery today to get mulch. They had no pea straw and no

lucerne
hay. They said because of the drought that they were having trouble

getting
it from anywhere. Anyone else been finding this?

If you have one in your area go to a rural supplier but expect to pay
through the nose for any mulching material let alone the good stuff
that is used as animal feed like lucerne.

Got mine for $13 for a bale.Pea straw that is.

Farm1 30-10-2006 05:34 AM

Drought

"Staycalm" wrote in message
I went to a nursery today to get mulch. They had no pea straw

and no
lucerne
hay. They said because of the drought that they were having

trouble
getting
it from anywhere. Anyone else been finding this?

If you have one in your area go to a rural supplier but expect to

pay
through the nose for any mulching material let alone the good

stuff
that is used as animal feed like lucerne.

Got mine for $13 for a bale.Pea straw that is.

Yikes! Up $6 since I bought it last year.