Old 31-10-2006, 08:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Broccoli and white butterflies and gruns Control ?

What is the best way to fix the above problem in the most un toxic way
..(I have kids and animals that may have potential contact)

Old 31-10-2006, 09:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

Brad wrote:
What is the best way to fix the above problem in the most un toxic
way
.(I have kids and animals that may have potential contact)

In one word "DIPEL" works great and allows bacterial control which is
not dangerous to people.
I have had no problems using this. Read instructions re this here. ..

Product Overview

Bt Dipel 150 is a ready-to-use powder formulation of the highly
selective microbe

Bacillus thuringiensis var. kurstaki that controls the chewing larvae of
moths and butterlies

(Lepidoptera) for use on fruits, vegetables, herbs, flowers and Lawns.

Product Details

Easy to use duster method. Apply upon first sighting of pests since it
breaks down quickly in sunlight.

Repeat as necessary. Thorough plant coverage is necessary for control.

This is because the Bt proteins paralyze the digestive system of the
larvae which stops feeding within hours.

Treated vegetables may be picked and consumed anytime after spraying.
Use on Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Kale Collards, Celery, Melons,
Potatoes, Spinach, Swiss Chard and Cucumbers to control Diamondback
Moth, Hornworms, Cabbage Looper, Melonworms, Webworm, and Green Cloverworm.

Use on Broccoli Cabbage, Cauliflower, Collards, Mint, Lettuce, Turnip
and Mustard Greens to control Loopers, Imported Cabbageworm, and Hornworms.

Use on Grapes, Small Fruits, Cane and Bush Berries to control Loopers,
Omnivorous Leafrollers, Grape Leaf Folder, and Grape Leaf Skeletonizer.

Use on Flowers to control Loopers, Tobacco (Geranium) Budworm,
Omniverous Looper, Omnivorous Leafroller, Diamondback Moth, Armyworms,
Ello Moth (Hortnworm), Lo Moth, Oleander Moth.

Use on Lawns to control Sod Webworm.

Old 31-10-2006, 10:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Brad" wrote in message ...
What is the best way to fix the above problem in the most un toxic way
.(I have kids and animals that may have potential contact)

i have read, & was going to try (if i get to it) using wire frames to keep
the butterflies out. you use small mesh, like budgie wire. apparently the
butterlies are too dimwitted to close their wings & crawl through. it sounds
too good to be true, really.
kylie

Old 31-10-2006, 07:19 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day brad,

you could try covering them with net type material ie.,. mossy net

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:26:34 +1100, "Brad" wrote:

What is the best way to fix the above problem in the most un toxic way
.(I have kids and animals that may have potential contact)

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com
Old 01-11-2006, 11:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article , "Brad" wrote:

What is the best way to fix the above problem in the most un toxic way
.(I have kids and animals that may have potential contact)

1. Practice your tennis swings on the moths.

2. Hang eggshell halves on little sticks throughout the garden. Apparently
the moths perceive these to be competition, and take their eggs elsewhere.

3. Encourage dragonflies. I once saw a big dragonfly *eating* a cabbage
white caterpillar on my washing line. Well, on my *washing*, actually -- got
a few grub chunks on a pillow-slip!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue

Old 03-11-2006, 02:24 PM posted to aus.gardens

Brad wrote:
What is the best way to fix the above problem in the most un toxic way
.(I have kids and animals that may have potential contact)

I guess they're cabbage moths, which love brocolli. Derris dust is
safe and works fine. Make sure you dust the undersides of the
leaves, so you'll need a puffer or duster.

I have a great little dusting machine with a crank handle on the
side, which I inherited many years ago. Makes dusting really easy. I
strongly recommend it as an investment. Anyone know how much they
cost these days? Looks like about $20 worth.

Andrew
--
Andrew Gabb
email: Adelaide, South Australia
Old 05-11-2006, 03:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Brad" writes:
What is the best way to fix the above problem in the most un toxic way
.(I have kids and animals that may have potential contact)

A squash racquet.
It will give the kids some exercise in the process!
Old 05-11-2006, 12:22 PM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:
"Brad" writes:
What is the best way to fix the above problem in the most un toxic way
.(I have kids and animals that may have potential contact)

A squash racquet.
It will give the kids some exercise in the process!

18 hours of squash? hell I cant last 10 minutes.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:49 PM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:

John Savage wrote:
"Brad" writes:
What is the best way to fix the above problem in the most un toxic way
.(I have kids and animals that may have potential contact)

A squash racquet.
It will give the kids some exercise in the process!

18 hours of squash? hell I cant last 10 minutes.

Eat 'em. If they're like the last crop I grew you'll easily get your days quota
of protein!

James McNangle
Old 06-11-2006, 07:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Brad" wrote in message
What is the best way to fix the above problem in the most un

toxic way
.(I have kids and animals that may have potential contact)

Make fake cabbage moths using old white opaque plastic milk cartons.
Cut out tiny butterflies, complete with feelers (the kids will love
doing it), add 4 dots with a black texta. Cut a couple of slits in
the butterflies and stick satay skewers through the slits then shove
those into green bamboo canes and put them amongst the broccoli.

Cabbage moths are teritorial and whent hey see what they think is
another butterfly they move on (not totally successful but enough to
allow you to get a crop and nothing is ever totally successful)

Old 07-11-2006, 11:42 PM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Brad wrote:
What is the best way to fix the above problem in the most un toxic
way
.(I have kids and animals that may have potential contact)

In one word "DIPEL" works great and allows bacterial control which is
not dangerous to people.
I have had no problems using this. Read instructions re this here. ..

Another product is Success. I use this product. It is from Yates.

Paul
Old 09-11-2006, 11:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Andrew Gabb" wrote in message
Brad wrote:
What is the best way to fix the above problem in the most un toxic
way .(I have kids and animals that may have potential contact)

I make up long cages out of light weight weld mesh and
cover them with shade cloth to grow my broccoli, cabbages
and cauli.
no need for any chemicals

Old 09-11-2006, 11:24 PM posted to aus.gardens

Brad wrote:
What is the best way to fix the above problem in the most un toxic
way .(I have kids and animals that may have potential contact)

I make up long cages out of light weight weld mesh and
cover them with shade cloth to grow my broccoli, cabbages
and cauli.
no need for any chemicals

Dipel will control these and is not considered a chemical but a
biological control agent. Safe for all but a little expensive