Old 03-11-2006, 11:24 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Re Water Restrictions

I followed the previous thread on Water Restrictions one thing
that struck me was no one call for water tanks to be made compulsory
on all new bluidings. People will argue the cost of a tank too high
yet people will spend some $2500 on a big screen TV.

I think council should pass a bylaw that all new bluiding must have a
minium of 500gal tank even connected to town water. Up our way
(Central Victoria) any changes to the property the first thing council
ask is any trees to be removed but nothing about water saving.

Mailman

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0645-4, 03/11/2006
Tested on: 4/11/2006 9:24:01 AM

Old 04-11-2006, 03:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message

I followed the previous thread on Water Restrictions one thing
that struck me was no one call for water tanks to be made compulsory
on all new bluidings. People will argue the cost of a tank too high
yet people will spend some $2500 on a big screen TV.

I think council should pass a bylaw that all new bluiding must have a
minium of 500gal tank even connected to town water. Up our way
(Central Victoria) any changes to the property the first thing council
ask is any trees to be removed but nothing about water saving.

Mailman

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0645-4, 03/11/2006
Tested on: 4/11/2006 9:24:01 AM

That is happening in different States now and with some Governments
offering Cash Back incentives for water saving devices including water
tanks, showers heads and some washing machines the appeal is a lot greater.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:43 AM posted to aus.gardens

RooBoy wrote:

That is happening in different States now and with some Governments
offering Cash Back incentives for water saving devices including water
tanks, showers heads and some washing machines the appeal is a lot greater.

In NSW, it comes with a compulsory plumber requirment. aka it costs you
more money than the cash payment, so it isn't worth anything.

Old 04-11-2006, 06:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

I'm in NSW and when I bought this house 14 years ago asked the local
council about fitting a water tank because I had been living out of town
and had water tanks for many years......the council (in their infinite
wisdom) refused permission to fit a tank stating it was against their
policy. Of course, I didn't tell them I wanted the water tank to supply
drinking water, because I'd had prior warning that they were totally
against this and any collected water was to be for garden use only.

Now.....it's compulsory to fit a water tank to any new houses.

How their thinking changes??? LOL

HC ;-)

Old 04-11-2006, 07:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article
,
Terryc wrote:

In NSW, it was proposed to make certain features compulsory in new
homes, but we had all the developes crying crocodile tears and sayin
that will make it too expensive for first home buyer, oh woe is them (US).

So they removed the requirments. I believe water tanks were one.

Well, they brought in BASIX, but with a very long lead time, and made it easy
to pass just by installing efficient appliances instead of requiring better
building design.

BASIX for renovations/extensions came in on 1 October 2006. We got our DA in
a few days prior -- and our DA includes giving our house better passive solar
design and rainwater tanks. The architect said that BASIX for us would just
mean another set of consultancy fees!

I think council should pass a bylaw that all new bluiding must have a
minium of 500gal tank even connected to town water. Up our way
(Central Victoria) any changes to the property the first thing council
ask is any trees to be removed but nothing about water saving.

Thought I heard something this morning about how in VIC it is compulsory for
new houses to have either rainwater tanks or solar hot water?

Tree removal is covering their arse as people have an absolute paranoia
about falling tree limbs. I guess that I am 1,00,000 more times likely
to die on the roads than by a tree falling on me.

There's also trees falling onto cars/houses, and cleaning up after storms.
Personally, that's a risk I want to live with. There are parts of Baulkham
Hills Shire that give you the willies -- bricks and rooftops to the horizon,
and NO ROOM for trees. Betcha those areas will have higher suicide rates.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 04-11-2006, 04:00 PM posted to aus.gardens

Chookie wrote:

Tree removal is covering their arse as people have an absolute paranoia
about falling tree limbs. I guess that I am 1,00,000 more times likely
to die on the roads than by a tree falling on me.

There's also trees falling onto cars/houses, and cleaning up after storms.
Personally, that's a risk I want to live with.

Our thoughts exactly. the feature of our back yard is a massive gum
tree. Pitty it is on the eastern side, but it provides a cool location
in summer and attracts many and varied birds. Excellent.

There are parts of Baulkham
Hills Shire that give you the willies -- bricks and rooftops to the horizon,
and NO ROOM for trees. Betcha those areas will have higher suicide rates.

Did town planning asubject at Tafe in Ultimo, where there is a room with
a picture of a dutch town. It it horrifying to me. Almost a square mile
of red, red, red,. no green trees or bushes.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:04 PM posted to aus.gardens

HC wrote:
I'm in NSW and when I bought this house 14 years ago asked the local
council about fitting a water tank because I had been living out of town
and had water tanks for many years......the council (in their infinite
wisdom) refused permission to fit a tank stating it was against their
policy. Of course, I didn't tell them I wanted the water tank to supply
drinking water, because I'd had prior warning that they were totally
against this and any collected water was to be for garden use only.

Now.....it's compulsory to fit a water tank to any new houses.

How their thinking changes??? LOL

Okay, i'll fess up. I knew that and just installed the tanks anyway.
Then they changed the policy and wanted approval and fee. Now I think
you just can.

We wanted ours for a water feature and garden. Pump broke on water
feature, so now it is just garden.

Maybe if we fit a third tank of 10K+ litre down the back yard. we will
connect the toilet, but first I need to install greywater diverters on
laundry, kitchen and bathroom for back lawn and low level gardens.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:22 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day mailman,

the building industry and the yuppies it builds pretty and
unfunctional inefficient designed homes for is a sacred cow, so common
sense laws will never be bought in, and if they did it may be whole
little way late storyy chanes sould have been bought into that
industry 30 or 40 years ago.

with the things that go on in the building industry that new home
buyers don't see i wouldn't want to trust a builder and his plumber
fitting an underground tank, plus they will turn a $10,000 cost into
an extra amybe $30,000 on the end price.

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 09:24:01 +1100, wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com

Old 04-11-2006, 11:38 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article
,
Terryc wrote:

[...]

I don't get it. Are the council stopping people from removing trees,
because people are paranoid about them, and removing them willy nilly? Or
are the councils forcing people to remove them because the council's
paranoid?

Here in Victoria, it's very, very hard to get permission to remove trees.
I've known of a few people who really wanted to remove just a couple, out of
places that were in their way, or would shade the house too much. But they
weren't allowed. I think that's gone too far.

Jen

Old 05-11-2006, 10:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jen" wrote in message
and NO ROOM for trees. Betcha those areas will have higher suicide
rates.

I don't get it. Are the council stopping people from removing trees,
because people are paranoid about them, and removing them willy nilly? Or
are the councils forcing people to remove them because the council's
paranoid?

no no - that's the belt with all the mcmansions. there's no room on the
blocks for anything once the mcmansion goes up. we went to kellyville to
have a gawp one day years ago - i'm still not over it, i don't think i ever
will be ;-)
kylie

Old 05-11-2006, 11:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Jen" wrote in message
and NO ROOM for trees. Betcha those areas will have higher suicide
rates.

I don't get it. Are the council stopping people from removing trees,
because people are paranoid about them, and removing them willy nilly?
Or are the councils forcing people to remove them because the council's
paranoid?

no no - that's the belt with all the mcmansions. there's no room on the
blocks for anything once the mcmansion goes up. we went to kellyville to
have a gawp one day years ago - i'm still not over it, i don't think i
ever will be ;-)
kylie

Aww and I remember kellyville being a sleepy little almost rural area of
sydney where my great uncle had goats, extremely aggro geese, and Cousin Len
would camp down the back when he was down on his luck.....how times have
changed!!

Old 05-11-2006, 12:29 PM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

no no - that's the belt with all the mcmansions. there's no room on the
blocks for anything once the mcmansion goes up. we went to kellyville to
have a gawp one day years ago - i'm still not over it, i don't think i ever
will be ;-)

Nor me, especially when I (like Meeeee) remember what it used to look like :-(

My Grandma used to say of something disproportionate that it was "like a
pimple on a pumpkin". A McMansion on a tiny block looks like a pumpkin on a
pimple!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 05-11-2006, 11:41 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

no no - that's the belt with all the mcmansions. there's no room on the
blocks for anything once the mcmansion goes up. we went to kellyville to
have a gawp one day years ago - i'm still not over it, i don't think i
ever
will be ;-)

Nor me, especially when I (like Meeeee) remember what it used to look like
:-(

My Grandma used to say of something disproportionate that it was "like a
pimple on a pumpkin". A McMansion on a tiny block looks like a pumpkin on
pimple!

lol absolutely true. It's happening here in cairns too...we have this lovely
big mountain behind us, beautifully rainforest and every weekend there seems
to be a new white and orange Tuscan style horrible Mc Mansion on it. DH's
boss has one up there, but I love him for it because he seems to be the only
guy who has a timber and brown colourbond house with trees actually left
around it....can't see the house at all. As for the other atrocities...I'm
hoping for mudslides. Not deadly ones of course...just enough to thoroughly
disenchant them with hillside show off living. Ridiculous. And afaik my
great uncle still has his patch of paradise in kellyville...probably much to
the disgust of his Gucci clad neighbours.