Old 17-11-2006, 03:31 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default What will goats not eat?

Yep it was the goats again. Give up all hope for your mum....
Straight from Wikopedia this informing snippet.
This puts goats with animals such as rabbits and other vermin....

A goat is said to be truly useful both when alive and dead, ( I like this
bit, so it doesn't matter if you kill them(grin!)) providing meat and milk
while the skin provides hide. A charity is involved in providing goats to
impoverished people in Africa. The main reason cited was that goats are
easier to manage than cattle and have multiple uses.

Feeding goats

Goats are reputed to be willing to eat almost anything. Many farmers use
inexpensive (i.e. not purebred) goats for brush control, leading to the
use of the term "brush goats."

'Bush Goats' in oz!!

Goats do not actually consume garbage, tin cans, or clothing, although
they will occasionally eat items made primarily of plant material, which
can include wood. Their reputation for doing so is most likely due to
their intensely inquisitive and intelligent natu they will explore
anything new or unfamiliar in their surroundings. They do so primarily
with their prehensile upper lip and tongue. This is why they investigate
clothes and sometimes washing powder boxes by nibbling at them.

Sure, maybe YOUR goats didn't, Wikipedia genius.... I used to get holes
chewed in my clothes (not explored or nibbled, but masticated), not to
mention shoes.....and we had one that broke in, ate a pot full of jam that
was cooling, and subsequently died. Mum was not pleased.....no jam, no goat.
Dad wasn't all that worried though for some reason....

Old 17-11-2006, 03:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Sue Bilstein" wrote in message
oups.com...
meeee wrote:
Mum rang me with a gardening problem regarding goats.....her soil is dry,
sandy, slightly acid and under gum trees. She also suffers from marauding
goats....her own, but still.....so she's put in a request to all you
gardening gurus for plants that will handle dry conditions that goats
will
not eat...she will be very very grateful!! It's sort of dappled shade in
some parts and full sun in others; she likes cottage gardens and already
has
lavendar and rosemary growing. Thanks

They'd rather not eat gorse and blackberry, if there's anything else
around!

Years ago I lived in Wellington (NZ) on a hillside section. The
landlord said I should borrow the neighbour's goat and tether it in the
garden above the house to graze down the gorse & blackberry. I can
attest that the goat didn't eat gorse and blackberry, though there
wasn't much else on offer.

Lol I'd have to agree. I am thinking of amending that wikipedia entry for
the last writer; 'Goats will eat anything, but only if they are not supposed
to eat it. If they are supposed to eat it, they will develop a sudden and
inexplicable allergic reaction to the food.' You should have tried chaining
the goat within sight, but not actual reach of the blackberry, and scolded
it severely everal times daily about NOt eating the blackberry, and
definitely NEVER going near the gorse. Then the little bugger would have
busted his appendix breaking the chain to get to it. Regular failed attempts
to catch the animal or chase it away from the blackberry/gorse after it had
broken the chain would have ensured the complete destruction of the weeds.
Especially if there are two or three goats, as they egg each other on.

Old 17-11-2006, 09:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

meeee wrote:

[...]

You missed the bit about a charity supplying goats to people in South
Africa.
A new export business, starting with your mums...
Old 17-11-2006, 12:51 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:

[...]

Oh, dad would be all for it, believe me....I'll have to mention it next time
I speak to him. He needs some new material I think....that should keep him
going for the next 6 months or so....

Old 27-11-2006, 02:19 PM posted to aus.gardens

Your mum wil llove these...

http://www.thehumorarchives.com/joke/Fainting_Goats

Old 27-11-2006, 10:35 PM posted to aus.gardens

OMG that is the funniest thing I've seen in ages!!! Sending this one off to
them....Dad will find this hilarious!!!

Old 28-11-2006, 07:03 AM posted to aus.gardens

Lots of research to find some funy goats....
No expense was spared.... Ignore the JV name thats meee
My Emails went down last week and I'm back...as Jonno
news

Old 28-11-2006, 07:15 AM posted to aus.gardens

I will do so more research on goats.
Just for ewe

"meeee" wrote in message
Lol you'd think there'd be more wouldn't you? Probably people are too
frustrated to find a funny side....

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
Lots of research to find some funy goats....
No expense was spared.... Ignore the JV name thats meee
My Emails went down last week and I'm back...as Jonno
news

Old 28-11-2006, 09:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

LMAO.....I wonder how long we can keep the goat theme going?

"meeee" wrote in message
Lol you'd think there'd be more wouldn't you? Probably people are too
frustrated to find a funny side....

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
Lots of research to find some funy goats....
No expense was spared.... Ignore the JV name thats meee
My Emails went down last week and I'm back...as Jonno
news OMG that is the funniest thing I've seen in ages!!! Sending this one

Old 28-11-2006, 09:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

Here we go.....

http://www.geocities.com/~butt79/goatmania.html

trust me, this page just gets better and better.....

"meeee" wrote in message
Lol you'd think there'd be more wouldn't you? Probably people are too
frustrated to find a funny side....

u...

Old 28-11-2006, 09:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

Disappointingly, hardly any of the links worked. But it was worth it to get
this.....

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access
/EdRes/Topic/AgrEnv/ndd/goat/GOAT_MANURE.html on this server.

This must be *really* top secret goat manure tips indeed.....

"meeee" wrote in message
Lol you'd think there'd be more wouldn't you? Probably people are too
frustrated to find a funny side....

u...

Old 28-11-2006, 09:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

I know this is taking the whole goat thing waaaay too far....what were they
thinking? It's a goat for crying out aloud~~!

http://www.goatsonline.com/

And while we're there......presenting....

SheepCam. Seriously.
http://www.goatsonline.com/

and for those who REALLY love their ruminant of choice....
http://www.marryyourpet.com/

thought you'd appreciate that one...

"meeee" wrote in message
Lol you'd think there'd be more wouldn't you? Probably people are too
frustrated to find a funny side....

u...

Old 28-11-2006, 11:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

Marry your pet. I did and she turned into a (in)human being. So far so bad.
meee it appears youre perverted in some ways. You must use the force to
return to us or were going to have to call goatbusters.

"meeee" wrote in message
Lol you'd think there'd be more wouldn't you? Probably people are too
frustrated to find a funny side....

u...

Old 28-11-2006, 10:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

Why don't you join me on the dark side...think of how much fun you'd have
marrying your hamster.....(seriously...it lives for 5 years...that's not a
marriage that's going to do well)

"meeee" wrote in message
Lol you'd think there'd be more wouldn't you? Probably people are too
frustrated to find a funny side....

u...
"Jon Vance" wrote in message
Your mum wil llove these...

http://www.thehumorarchives.com/joke/Fainting_Goats

To eat or not to eat (:-) Pete[_9_] United Kingdom 1 30-10-2012 11:42 PM
What will goats not eat? Jonno Australia 2 04-12-2006 01:41 AM
Boer Goats Shlomit sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 01:31 PM
Boer Goats Shlomit sci.agriculture 0 10-04-2003 08:32 PM
Goats ate tree's bark Menk45 Lawns 2 25-02-2003 06:53 AM