GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What will goats not eat? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/150920-what-will-goats-not-eat.html)

meeee 13-11-2006 04:43 AM

What will goats not eat?

Mum rang me with a gardening problem regarding goats.....her soil is dry,
sandy, slightly acid and under gum trees. She also suffers from marauding
goats....her own, but still.....so she's put in a request to all you
gardening gurus for plants that will handle dry conditions that goats will
not eat...she will be very very grateful!! It's sort of dappled shade in
some parts and full sun in others; she likes cottage gardens and already has
lavendar and rosemary growing. Thanks :)

Jonno[_1_] 13-11-2006 05:10 AM

What will goats not eat?

meeee wrote:
Mum rang me with a gardening problem regarding goats.....her soil is dry,
sandy, slightly acid and under gum trees. She also suffers from marauding
goats....her own, but still.....so she's put in a request to all you
gardening gurus for plants that will handle dry conditions that goats will
not eat...she will be very very grateful!! It's sort of dappled shade in
some parts and full sun in others; she likes cottage gardens and already has
lavendar and rosemary growing. Thanks :)

Goats will eat anything.
They wont eat Electric fenced plants. Mind you it will also surprise
your Mum at times and give her heart quite a Rev/start.

meeee 13-11-2006 05:24 AM

What will goats not eat?

"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
Mum rang me with a gardening problem regarding goats.....her soil is dry,
sandy, slightly acid and under gum trees. She also suffers from marauding
goats....her own, but still.....so she's put in a request to all you
gardening gurus for plants that will handle dry conditions that goats
will not eat...she will be very very grateful!! It's sort of dappled
shade in some parts and full sun in others; she likes cottage gardens and
already has lavendar and rosemary growing. Thanks :)

Goats will eat anything.
They wont eat Electric fenced plants. Mind you it will also surprise
your Mum at times and give her heart quite a Rev/start.

Lol!! I know.....she needs to do that. I think she thinks it's charming the
way they stare stupidly through her glass doors.....

Terryc 13-11-2006 10:24 AM

What will goats not eat?

meeee wrote:

Lol!! I know.....she needs to do that. I think she thinks it's charming the
way they stare stupidly through her glass doors.....

How about through a glass lidded cooking pot?

slinks away and doesn't mention that weekly shopping also includes a
bit of goat meat now

Jonno[_1_] 13-11-2006 11:20 AM

What will goats not eat?

meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
Mum rang me with a gardening problem regarding goats.....her soil is dry,
sandy, slightly acid and under gum trees. She also suffers from marauding
goats....her own, but still.....so she's put in a request to all you
gardening gurus for plants that will handle dry conditions that goats
will not eat...she will be very very grateful!! It's sort of dappled
shade in some parts and full sun in others; she likes cottage gardens and
already has lavendar and rosemary growing. Thanks :)

Goats will eat anything.
They wont eat Electric fenced plants. Mind you it will also surprise
your Mum at times and give her heart quite a Rev/start.

Lol!! I know.....she needs to do that. I think she thinks it's charming the
way they stare stupidly through her glass doors.....

Er is it the goats or is it her....staring stupidly (no offence,
electric or otherwise) I mean. Goats were designed to eat anything.
Anyone keeping goats that will not eat everything, has a defective goat
or mind. Goats go to great lengths to eat the uneatable. Your mother
will become quite smart after having been butted on the bbbut. Goats are
quite tricky. This is why the devil is sometimes seen in the guise of a
goat.
You cannot trust goats. (All this information was taken of the Net and
is ISO 9001 certified.) (Except the bit about) your mother who is
probably in the spell of "charming goats" Snap her out of it before its
too late... (GRIN!) Dont let her even think about donkeys.

meeee 14-11-2006 02:20 AM

What will goats not eat?

"Terryc" wrote in message
meeee wrote:

Lol!! I know.....she needs to do that. I think she thinks it's charming
the way they stare stupidly through her glass doors.....

How about through a glass lidded cooking pot?

slinks away and doesn't mention that weekly shopping also includes a bit
of goat meat now

Lol we used to eat the young males....very nice meat! Now us kids are all
out, there aren't so many mouths to feed so she just has two milkers; the
bush goat from hell and a saanen....less said there the better. For some
reason you always get a bad tempered goat who's a great milker, or a placid,
slightly silly one who's just ok.

meeee 14-11-2006 02:24 AM

What will goats not eat?

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
[...]

She thinks donkeys are sweet...enough said. Dad has put his foot down on
that one fortunately. She's quite good at keeping them out of the vegie
garden....many years of trial and error....but she'd like a 'flower garden'
out the front. Or any garden. Right now she has lots of rocks, some dead
leaves, sand, aloe vera and lavendar. Oh, and the rosemary.I might just
suggest she gets more of that. I'm going to have a chat to her about natives
too; I'm sure there are quite a few in the bush around her house that they
won't touch, so I think she should try getting her hands on those.

Jonno[_1_] 14-11-2006 12:04 PM

What will goats not eat?

meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
[...]

Where/what place exactly is she?

meeee 14-11-2006 09:20 PM

What will goats not eat?

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
Mum rang me with a gardening problem regarding goats.....her soil is
dry, sandy, slightly acid and under gum trees. She also suffers from
marauding goats....her own, but still.....so she's put in a request
to all you gardening gurus for plants that will handle dry conditions
that goats will not eat...she will be very very grateful!! It's sort
of dappled shade in some parts and full sun in others; she likes
cottage gardens and already has lavendar and rosemary growing. Thanks
:)
[...]

SE Qld, Granite Belt area. So the soil is basically very fine granite. I'm
not sure about local native nurseries but last I recall there weren't many
for some reason, or they were miles out of town.

Jonno[_1_] 15-11-2006 01:46 AM

What will goats not eat?

meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
[...]

It seems the goats are in the wrong area. Theres nothing to eat except
you Mum's garden! (grin!) I reckon she may be in a sparsely populated
and vegetated area. Possibly alkaline soil. suggest getting onto this
site for help

http://www.check-in.com.au/Brisbane/...ns_Nursery.htm

http://farrer.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/APOL2006/aug06-1.html

As to whats goat resistant, what a question to ask.
Try tin cans? As suggested previously. electrify the garden. Which
reminds me
I once wired a tree with Christmas tree lights, full 240 volts to the
trunk one nice wet day, no trouble with goats, but the tree died.
Shocking.....

meeee 15-11-2006 02:16 AM

What will goats not eat?

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
[...]

Lol you make me laugh....;) yes, she is in an open woodland type area, so
not a lot of forage unless you're a roo. Only you can't milk roos. So the
goats get hay, grain etc...thanks for the link, I'll look it up and give her
some names...she seems to think the internet will burn or
something.....thanks for that :)

SG1 15-11-2006 09:21 PM

What will goats not eat?

Lol you make me laugh....;) yes, she is in an open woodland type area, so
not a lot of forage unless you're a roo. Only you can't milk roos. So the
goats get hay, grain etc...thanks for the link, I'll look it up and give
her some names...she seems to think the internet will burn or
something.....thanks for that :)

Just tell her to cross her index fingers in front when given the info from
the net. It will purify it.
Jim
TFIC

meeee 15-11-2006 11:01 PM

What will goats not eat?

"SG1" wrote in message

Lol you make me laugh....;) yes, she is in an open woodland type area, so
not a lot of forage unless you're a roo. Only you can't milk roos. So the
goats get hay, grain etc...thanks for the link, I'll look it up and give
her some names...she seems to think the internet will burn or
something.....thanks for that :)

Just tell her to cross her index fingers in front when given the info from
the net. It will purify it.
Jim
TFIC

Should she wave a bottle of eucalyptus oil over it?