Old 13-11-2006, 01:02 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Another tomato question

i planted my first vege garden about 5 weeks ago and everything is doing
well (or at least i think so).

My problem is that when i planted my tomato seeds i planted 3 in the one
spot. I guess the theory was that they might not all germinate. Now I have
3 healthy seedlings growing in a small clump. I don't want to kill 2 of
them off for no good reason as all 3 look equally healthy to me.

Can i remove all 3 and replant them else where or will i lose all 3 of them?
I have 2 others going well also but i would like to keep these 3 but don't
want to sacrifice all 3. Can I leave them just as they are or will i just
get 3 below average plants when i could have 1 good plant?

I had the same dilemma with the sweet corn i planted but they are doing
really well and have no problem keeping them just as they are.

I know there is plenty of tomato growers around this group that can help me
out.

Cheers

Old 13-11-2006, 08:24 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day petesin,

yes you can ease them out of the ground and seperate them and replant
them, suggest you trim off the first leaves if they are still there
and replant the plants to a depth of app' 3/4 the length of the stem.

they will suffer transplant shock so maybe shade them from full sun
for a day or 2 or 3?

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:02:40 +1000, "Petesin" wh@tthe**** wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com
Old 14-11-2006, 09:29 AM posted to aus.gardens

thanks heaps for your help

the plants are about 5 to 6 inches tall now with a fair few leaves. Should
i trim them all off?

cheers

Old 14-11-2006, 01:09 PM posted to aus.gardens

"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day petesin,

yes you can ease them out of the ground and seperate them and replant
them, suggest you trim off the first leaves if they are still there
and replant the plants to a depth of app' 3/4 the length of the stem.

they will suffer transplant shock so maybe shade them from full sun
for a day or 2 or 3?

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:02:40 +1000, "Petesin" wh@tthe**** wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com

Only the lower ones and pinch out the top ones, so it will become
bushier at the top, (leave the center ones)keep the branches of the
ground and try and water
so the leaves dont get splashed. Theyre likely to get diseases from any
water and mud splashed on them from the ground. Use the tomato
fungicide and watch out for (tomato) grubs.