Old 03-12-2006, 08:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Plant ID?

My dug in compost heap has produced some freebies in my garden bed. The
tomatoes I can ID but I have something else I don't know. It came up as half
a dozen plants with two roundish leaves, sitting opposite each other.
They've developed into a lot of very large leaves with a prickly feel. I'll
assume I'm looking at zucchini, watermelon or pumpkin. Any idea on how I can
tell?

Liz

Old 03-12-2006, 02:23 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
My dug in compost heap has produced some freebies in my garden bed. The
tomatoes I can ID but I have something else I don't know. It came up as
half a dozen plants with two roundish leaves, sitting opposite each other.
They've developed into a lot of very large leaves with a prickly feel.
I'll assume I'm looking at zucchini, watermelon or pumpkin. Any idea on
how I can tell?

Liz

I would think it one of those. If it were my garden it would be a zucchini
cos I hate them!lol

Richard

Old 03-12-2006, 07:02 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day liz,

my guess is pumpkin it is the most common volunteer apart from
tomatoes amd capsicum.

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 19:39:55 +1100, "Staycalm"
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com
Old 05-12-2006, 09:42 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
My dug in compost heap has produced some freebies in my garden bed. The
tomatoes I can ID but I have something else I don't know. It came up as
half a dozen plants with two roundish leaves, sitting opposite each other.
They've developed into a lot of very large leaves with a prickly feel.
I'll assume I'm looking at zucchini, watermelon or pumpkin. Any idea on
how I can tell?

probably not zucchini, as you'd have eaten the seeds? :-))

after i read your post the other day, i noticed i've got the exact same
thing - i put mounds of compost to plant the cucurbits in (like all the
experts say - and i like it so far!), so now the seedlings i raised are
surrounded by others!! i had it planned out so nicely, too...

i was going to wait to see what htey look like when bigger (to identify
them) & how they're going. i don't mind the interlopers, perhaps they'll
grow better than the others. ;-) any spares or duds can always be pulled
out, after all.
kylie