Old 07-12-2006, 08:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default killing a moptop robinia

I cut a moptop robinia off about 6 inches above the ground a couple of
months ago. and of course it's now shooting like crazy, horrible thorny
things. Any ideas how I can kill it? Will applying roundup to the
shoots do anything?

Chris.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:06 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Chris" wrote in message ...
I cut a moptop robinia off about 6 inches above the ground a couple of
months ago. and of course it's now shooting like crazy, horrible thorny
things. Any ideas how I can kill it? Will applying roundup to the shoots
do anything?

Chris.

Can you kill those things? I'm bonsai-ing a robinia atm, and so far have
tried killing it at least a dozen different ways but so far no luck Did
you poison the stump with anything?

Old 07-12-2006, 10:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

Can you kill those things? I'm bonsai-ing a robinia atm, and so far have
tried killing it at least a dozen different ways but so far no luck Did
you poison the stump with anything?

no, just left it.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:13 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Chris" wrote in message ...
I cut a moptop robinia off about 6 inches above the ground a couple of
months ago. and of course it's now shooting like crazy, horrible thorny
things. Any ideas how I can kill it? Will applying roundup to the shoots
do anything?

Chris.

They are very hard to kill, and their spiky suckers shoot up all over the
place (especially in lawns).

You should try a Blackberry & Tree Killer like the one he

http://www.scottsaustralia.com.au/DE...HTM#def-bberry

You can even get syringe type things to inject it right into the trunk (or
what's left of the trunk) of the culprit.

Hope that helps.

Liam.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:58 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Why not drill some holes (on a downward 45deg angle) and fill with neat
Roundup? Would be worth a try and it can't go anywhere but be taken up
in the system. Of course, when handling any poisons take necessary and
recommend precautions.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article , Chris wrote:

I cut a moptop robinia off about 6 inches above the ground a couple of
months ago. and of course it's now shooting like crazy, horrible thorny
things. Any ideas how I can kill it? Will applying roundup to the
shoots do anything?

Try attacking it at woody weed strength and you might get somewhere. It might
take years, though I did eventually kill an umbrella tree that way.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue

Robinia (casque rouge) Still hibernating rick osborn About GardenBanter 2 07-11-2005 10:04 AM
pruning moptop Hydrangea flicker Gardening 3 03-11-2004 03:33 PM
Pruning Robinia / Bob Jeffery United Kingdom 2 21-05-2003 09:09 AM
Pruning Robinia Bigjon United Kingdom 7 18-05-2003 04:20 PM
Coppicing a Robinia alwynne mackie Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:35 AM