Old 08-12-2006, 02:05 AM posted to aus.gardens
Pat Pat is offline

Default Waste water treatment systems

This is a query for those who have waste water treatment systems (and like
having a fiddle with them!)
for how many hours each day does your primary pump run, and with what
frequency?
The primary pump is the one which circulates the waste within the system,
and aerates it, as opposed to the secondary discharge pump, which chucks it
out into your garden.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:11 PM posted to aus.gardens

Pat wrote:

for how many hours each day does your primary pump run, and with what
frequency?

I've forgotten since it was installed. Our is a Septech (
www.septech.com.au ) - the specs are probably on the website coz I can't
get to where we stored the info at the mo.

Touch wood, it runs like a dream so far (only a year old though) and the
drippers are still in their temporary spots until I get some gardens in.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

Geoff & Heather wrote:
Linda,

Our serviceman says ours runs for 15 min then stops for 5.
Geoff

Oh okay. I wonder how many times a day it does that. I looked at the
Septech website after responding to Pat's question and that said it can
run for about 6 hrs a day! There are only 2 adults most of the time at
home (1 adult child only home weekends) and ours doesn't appear to run
all that often but it's very quiet so I only notice it when near it.

Also, I gather Pat was wondering on the costs of running them. We've
been in our new place less than a year and we took a lot of care
considering running costs of power and appliances for the new house (we
have no gas mains in our area) but admittedly we forgot all about the
running costs of the waste system.

We had to have it anyway but we were incredibly surprised at how very
low our power bills have been and that is with the treatment plant
tacked on. In fact until now I forgot about its running costs. So from
what I gather treatment plants don't cost much to run at all.

Treatment plants are a brilliant thing. I reckon if people are building
on a large enough block in the suburbs and can allow room for the
drippers they'll be glad they installed it (about 200 square metres
under mulch was the minimum requirement for ours.) They'd never really
have to water gardens again. I don't know the regulations for average
sized blocks though. Everybody in our road has them except for two
older properties.

Old 14-12-2006, 11:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

Linda,
I think ours runs all day, but the aerator is only an overgrown aquarium
pump. That runs for 15 min then stops and the water settles, then the sludge
pumps goes for 5 min to move the settle material into the next tank. We
have a 3/4 acre block with just the two of us so the recycled water is not
enough to keep the whole garden going - unless we take really long showers
:-) The clean water pumps out 25 litres at a time as that chamber fills up.
However it is great for the bromeliads and the shade garden which likes the
short bursts of intermittent water throughout the day. I reckon if the space
is big enough and the soil suitable more people should have the treatment
systems.

Unfortunately our neighbour have 7 people living in the house on a much
smaller block and slightly above ours, so if he doesn't keep all his
sprinklers working or we have heavy rain we get the run off. Problem is we
have about 12 inches of good top soil then deep clay. He is also prone to
not servicing his system so at times the quality of the water coming out is
suspect. That's the downside - when people don't look after their systems.

Cheers,
Geoff