Old 10-12-2006, 06:15 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default persimmon / quince seedling trees

Can anybody sell me a quince seedling or persimmon tree seedling?
I have tried many nurseries in Sydney and noone stocks any.
I wanted to give them to someone in time for xmas. I actually prefer a
seedling
to a large tree - easier to gift wrap!

email lentildude AT hotmail.com

thanks!

Old 10-12-2006, 12:57 PM posted to aus.gardens

In article . com,
"lentildude" wrote:

Can anybody sell me a quince seedling or persimmon tree seedling?
I have tried many nurseries in Sydney and noone stocks any.
I wanted to give them to someone in time for xmas. I actually prefer a
seedling to a large tree - easier to gift wrap!

NO -- give your friend an IOU if they really want to grow such a tree.

YOU DO NOT PLANT TREES IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER IN SYDNEY!

If the heat doesn't kill them, the humidity will. Fruit trees should be
planted in about April. Frankly, the nursery people you spoke to should have
told you this. Buy some potted colour instead.

See the following book for information on the best varieties of quince and
persimmon to grow in Sydney:

Growing uncommon fruits & vegetables in Australia /
by Smith, Keith, 1939-
Frenchs Forest, NSW : New Holland, 1998.
ISBN: 1864363541 (pbk.)

BTW, my quince sapling was easily 4m when I bought it from Swane's at Dural,
so it had to be pruned to fit in my car. This is not a bad thing for a quince
tree. A pity I picked up the wrong variety; 'Smyrna' is late-ripening, and by
NSW law all quinces have to be removed from trees by the end of April IIRC as
otherwise they provide winter habitat for fruit flies.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 10-12-2006, 09:53 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article . com,
"lentildude" wrote:

[...]

Can I show up in the convict landing site to eat quinces. Ah the memories of
the forbidden fruit at grandma's place in central Vic decades ago.
Jim

Old 11-12-2006, 01:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

I really wasnt interest in a Quince for myself but the more I research
- I now want one!
sounds like a droughtproof tree once established.
Didnt know about the NSW law for removing fruit to avoid fruitfly,
guess same goes for persimmon as persimmon fruit hang on during
winter. I may just buy a quince from the fruit shop and try planting
the seed - Im patient!
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1345818.htm

thanks for info!

Chookie $B$N%a%C%;!%8(B:

Old 11-12-2006, 03:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

lentildude wrote:
I really wasnt interest in a Quince for myself but the more I research
- I now want one!
sounds like a droughtproof tree once established.

We have a small quince that produces a surprising quantity
of fruit, and there is something heavenly about quince.

Unfortunately the ants are harvesting some sort of bug on
our quince, and last year I found that the ants had bored
holes all through the fruit, and crushed ants ruin the flavour.

I tried applying a layer of pawpaw ointment around the
trunk (didn't have any vaseline handy), but the ants seem
to be able to get past it.They probably eat it. Keep meaning
to try again with vaseline. Or I might try chestrub - the
fumes might help.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article .com,
"lentildude" wrote:

I really wasnt interest in a Quince for myself but the more I research
- I now want one!
sounds like a droughtproof tree once established.
Didnt know about the NSW law for removing fruit to avoid fruitfly,
guess same goes for persimmon as persimmon fruit hang on during
winter. I may just buy a quince from the fruit shop and try planting
the seed - Im patient!

THe quinces I see in the shops in autumn are usually underripe, so I don't
know if the seeds would be viable. And it's usually preferable to get a named
cultivar just so you know what you're in for in terms of size, habit, fruiting
etc, not just so that you can get fruit in a couple of years instead of a
decade. They don't cost *that* much.

TBH I don't know if you're patient, but you aren't much of a gardener yet.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 17-12-2006, 09:17 PM posted to aus.gardens

I didn't know that. I planted one this August (just moved into newly bought
house then). It's doing ok but I have to keep the water up to it or the sun
is a bit much for it (about 2 L/day through a bottle on those orange spike
things).

Got mine (and the mulberry tree the frost killed, and the medlar I killed)
through Daleys on the internet.

kathy

On 10/12/06 10:57 PM, in article
, "Chookie"
wrote:

BTW, my quince sapling was easily 4m when I bought it from Swane's at Dural,
so it had to be pruned to fit in my car. This is not a bad thing for a quince
tree. A pity I picked up the wrong variety; 'Smyrna' is late-ripening, and by
NSW law all quinces have to be removed from trees by the end of April IIRC as
otherwise they provide winter habitat for fruit flies.

Two questions- Asiatic Lilies and Persimmon trees Chris[_14_] Gardening 6 15-08-2010 03:45 PM
Persimmon trees Davej Edible Gardening 0 25-08-2009 08:49 PM
Question about Persimmon Trees Dwayne United Kingdom 1 10-10-2005 03:52 AM
quince trees? Dianna Visek Edible Gardening 10 18-03-2004 01:29 AM
My new quince trees are wilting Chris Edible Gardening 3 04-06-2003 03:32 PM