Old 14-12-2006, 09:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default No friut Tomatoes

"Roberta Bagshaw" wrote in message
Sometimes giving the plants a sprinkle of Potash around the base will make
the plants produce fruit. (I'm not talking about ashes from the

fire.......
but the mineral Potash, which you can buy quite cheaply at any gardening
store.)

why not wood ash roberta? (accepting it can be dry, a good watering will
solve that, and can sweeten soil which may need monitoring).

rob

Old 15-12-2006, 11:30 PM posted to aus.gardens

I have tomato bushes about waist high, filled out and no flowers and
consqyently no fruit.
What am I doing wrong? Or are these smart enough not ot be eaten ;-)
Cheers, from the Haekesbury region.

Old 16-12-2006, 12:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

Sometimes giving the plants a sprinkle of Potash around the base will make
the plants produce fruit. (I'm not talking about ashes from the fire.......
but the mineral Potash, which you can buy quite cheaply at any gardening
store.)

If your plants are healthy, and growing well, you could have perhaps been
using a fertiliser which is very high in Nitrogen and low in Potash.
Nitrogen promotes leafy growth, and Potash promotes setting of seeds and
fruit.

Old 16-12-2006, 02:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

Hi George

Yes.... of course you can apply wood ash, but as wood ash is very alkaline
it can cause problems if used over a long period of time with regard to soil
pH. (In my reply to Potaroo I merely pointed out the difference between
Potash and ashes from the fire, as some people assume the two to be one and
the same).

In the past few decades there has arisen the added danger of using ashes
from chemically treated wood, and personally I would be most careful not to
use this around any food crop.

I hasten to add though that I have personally added wood ash to my compost
(from totally natural untreated wood sources).

Follow this link to an article from Gardening Australia's Malcolm Campbell
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s933740.htm

As Potaroo wrote in the original message, the tomato plants appear to be
thriving, apart from not setting any fruit, so my first impulse would be to
apply some Potash, and not upset the apple-cart (or tomato-cart in this
case). )

~Roberta~

Old 16-12-2006, 05:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:30:20 +1100, "Potaroo" wrote:

I have tomato bushes about waist high, filled out and no flowers and
consqyently no fruit.
What am I doing wrong? Or are these smart enough not ot be eaten ;-)
Cheers, from the Haekesbury region.

Are they in the full sun?

Old 16-12-2006, 11:31 PM posted to aus.gardens

They are in sun probably get at least 8 hours. I had suspected it may have
been a potash (is it the same as potassium?) problem.
I remember when living in werribee yonks ago; i had a huge groundcover
Grevillea, all leaf. I dusted it with wood ash from our Coonara and a month
later it was flowering after 2 years.
Cheers, thank all.

news

Old 18-12-2006, 01:02 PM posted to aus.gardens

Just realised my wife has the habit of planting potato peels in the garden.
This is not good for tomatoes (I foudn out this spreads diseases)and also
anyone smoking can spread the mosiac tabacco wilt virus. Me I have loads of
thrip in my garden that seem to cause distruction when they appear.
The tomatoes are starting to show signs of willt allready. Damn.
"Potaroo" wrote in message
They are in sun probably get at least 8 hours. I had suspected it may
have
been a potash (is it the same as potassium?) problem.
I remember when living in werribee yonks ago; i had a huge groundcover
Grevillea, all leaf. I dusted it with wood ash from our Coonara and a
month
later it was flowering after 2 years.
Cheers, thank all.

news

Old 22-12-2006, 08:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

Potaroo wrote:
I have tomato bushes about waist high, filled out and no flowers and
consqyently no fruit.

Maybe you accidentally planted some cannabis?

Apparently it looks a bit like a tomato plant.