Old 17-12-2006, 01:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Garden hoses and problems with fittings MADE IN TAIWAN and Korea

I recently updated my garden hoses and fittings. Keeping in mind the old
hose had had it. (El cheapo Target variety, lasted approximately 15 years)
Buying a system made by what I reckon was a catholic organisation, I
found the hoses and fitting both popped of.
Scratching my head somewhat, because I had thought these were good
fittings I double checked the name again, yes it was a Pope fitting, not
a popof fitting. I thought it may be that I'm a confirmed athiest, but
what is a catholic organisation doing making garden fittings. They
obviously haven't a clue. The hose was undersized, cuasing it to creep
out of the fitting, and it was made in some orient country.
I took it back, and exchanged it for a proper Aussie product my by a
wind company of some sort, this too should have been great, but while
the hose was OK the multi funtion spray head with automatic cutoff kept
cutting off, even when I didnt want it to. Stopping the flow of water
(prostate problem?) With a very proper sounding german name , this
fitting with a ten year gaurantee is going back to Holman, (who
manufacture this item in taiwan, under strict taiwanese tolerances), who
are only a stones throw away from me. Sending them an email, as I'm want
to do, got no response from them. So I may go and see how my stone
throwing arm is and use the fitting to aim it at the most suitable
place. Enemas are free on this occasion.
But has anyone else had problems with reasonably priced hose fittings as
these?
Hose aint hoses, but surely these should all be easy to make and fit and
shouldnt leak, pop of or otherwise give any sort of trouble. It seems
deviosu that we have to waste so much time in returning these products.
Old 17-12-2006, 02:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
[...]

hoo-ee! ducks smoke & flames g

i recently bought a "good quality" brass trigger-head thingie for the hose
(not cheap!), because i thought it was a better idea than the cheapie
plastic ones (shaped like a long cone that you turn around to get your spray
level or to cut it off.) i am so disappointed with it i could scream. i just
don't like how it works, the spray is less adjustable & jolts my seedlings,
& it must be smaller inside as i can't get distance with it, either. (what
on earth would be the reason for that?)

as there's still, after lo these many years, nothing wrong with my cheapie
plastic cone-shaped doo-dad, i just use it instead. the brass one will
probably still be flaunting it's relative uselessness at me in my old age.

one thing is that _where_ something is made is pretty irrelevent. you can
get good stuff made in taiwan, or total shit made in australia. that's not
really how you tell how good something is, any more. it's very frustrating
when you can't take something back, but it's just substandard & you know
you'll never like it.
kylie

Old 17-12-2006, 02:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Jonno" wrote in message
[...]

And never EVER buy a hose from Crazy Clarks, no matter how cheap it is
(still very bitter about this)

Old 18-12-2006, 10:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

"meeee" wrote in message
one thing is that _where_ something is made is pretty irrelevent. you can
get good stuff made in taiwan, or total shit made in australia. that's
not really how you tell how good something is, any more. it's very
frustrating when you can't take something back, but it's just substandard
& you know you'll never like it.
kylie

And never EVER buy a hose from Crazy Clarks, no matter how cheap it is
(still very bitter about this)

never buy anything from anywhere with "crazy" in the name g
kylie

Old 19-12-2006, 10:53 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 12:27:26 +1100, Jonno
wrote in aus.gardens:

Scratching my head somewhat, because I had thought these were good
fittings I double checked the name again, yes it was a Pope fitting, not
a popof fitting. I thought it may be that I'm a confirmed athiest, but
what is a catholic organisation doing making garden fittings. They
obviously haven't a clue. The hose was undersized, cuasing it to creep
out of the fitting, and it was made in some orient country.

I just bought a green plastic affair from Bunnings for $3.50. It has a
pistol grip and provided a jet or very soft gentle spray (not the high
pressure cone that the normal nozzles give. I am going back to buy a
couple more to replace this one when it eventually
breaks/cracks/explodes. It is brilliant and made in China.

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons
Old 19-12-2006, 11:45 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in aus.gardens:

[...]

Yes, I looked at them and brought some of the cheaper ones, but they
werent any good after a while. (these werent from Bunnings btw)
But the more expensive ones aren't living up to expectations.