Old 23-12-2006, 01:05 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

Default Fig and Olive Container-growing Help

I want to plant an olive for dappled shade on or near our sunny deck,
and a fig nearby for the fruit and the birds they attract.

However a sewer runs close by (maybe 1.5mm below the surface,
horizontal-drilled under the deck) and I worry what damage the
olive and fig roots might do to that.

So I thought of containers.

Assuming I get an olive (pictual, verdale?) and a fig (which?) that
will suit container planting, what are the requirements for such
container set-ups?

Size of container. They'll eventually need to be fairly big. What's
the procedure? Buy a small 1m high olive and fig plant and re-pot them
into progressively bigger containers, or do I just put each young
plant into a container big enough for the adult tree?

Drainage. The containers must drain quite freely - they'd need to be
raised up from our clay-based soil. I'd best not sink them into the
ground. Is that right?

Potting mix. What do you recommend to start with and what feeding
do I do to replenish the mix?

Brian
--
Auckland NEW ZEALAND

Old 23-12-2006, 12:11 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens
GOW GOW is offline

Brian,

You can grow either in a tub if you wish but there really isn't any need to
if you have the space. PVC sewerage pipes don't usually leak so tree roots
should not be a problem.

But if you choose to then don't plant a small tree into a large tub; step up
in size as the tree grows.

Figs fruit on new growth so you can prune it hard after fruiting each year
and the new growth that season will bear the fruit next year. You can be
rutheless with the pruning pretty much.

Olives do OK in tubs but you need to prune them less severely if you wont
fruit. They flower on more mature wood so severe pruning is OK but you
won't get many olives.

Either way if you go the tub route once they are the size you want gut pull
them out over other year and cut about 30% of the roots away and replace in
the pot with fresh potting mix. Don't forget to prune to top by at least as
much at the same time.

Best of luck

Merry Christmas

Col

Old 24-12-2006, 11:03 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

I can only speak to figs. I live in zone 5 (well now zone 6) so I cannot plant figs
directly in the ground. Instead I planted in containers so I could haul them inside
for winter. I modified the container "protocol" and have large holes in the bottom
so roots can grow thru the container and into the ground for moisture and manure.
When we move the containers the roots get snapped, sort of root pruning.
Fig trees planted in the ground tend to get huge and VERY messy with all the fruit
falling. I train the figs in the containers more to bushes by pinching back growth.
My figs are young but very productive already.
http://weloveteaching.com/landscape/figs/figgrove.htm
I now have 9 figs and have maxed out on as there is no more space for them.
Fig trees really like water. I would never plant them near a sewer run. Ingrid

wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 24-12-2006, 11:34 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

Only a few figs fruit on new growth, like Brown Turkey, celeste. The leaves of these
figs are very round while the leaves of thos figs bear on last years wood are more
lancet shaped.
the picture to the left of the caption "BROWN TURKEY --- RIPE" shows the difference
in the leaves. round lobed on top, lancet shaped on bottom of the same picture.
http://weloveteaching.com/landscape/figs/figgrove.htm
Ingrid

Figs fruit on new growth so you can prune it hard after fruiting each year
and the new growth that season will bear the fruit next year.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
Old 26-12-2006, 06:55 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

In article ,
wrote:
Only a few figs fruit on new growth, like Brown Turkey, celeste.
The leaves of these figs are very round while the leaves of thos
figs bear on last years wood are more lancet shaped.

Thanks for this.
How does the Brunoro black bear fruit? I haven't been able to see an
example of its leaves.

Brian

--
Auckland NEW ZEALAND

Old 02-01-2007, 01:54 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

In article ,
wrote:
How does the Brunoro black bear fruit? I haven't been able to see
an example of its leaves.

sorry, havent seen this. I dont have that many species.

Thanks anyway.
I planted a Brunoro. As our soil's very shallow and is mainly clay I
planted it on top of the ground, on wet newspaper (for the first of
the worms) and then banked up the topsoil to the right height. It's
only 1 meter high now and has several little figs, so I removed all
but 4 fruit.

Brian

--
Auckland NEW ZEALAND