Old 05-01-2007, 03:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default i wrote...

"0tterbot" wrote in message

well, clearly i was exaggerating in both directions :-) (most people

don't
have a bazillion-litre shower either. except perhaps in coogee & the

hills
district ;-)

You'll enjoy this story (not). Our little local village has recently
become popular with tree changers who come here for what they call the
"lifestyle". Most of us long term residents wonder what "lifestyle"
they're referring to since most of them have moved into a new
development full of McMansions where they could spit out their kitchen
windows into the house next door.

My friend was in the post office one day when a new resident (who has
bought on larger acreage) was complaining that she was having to buy a
tankful of house water (5,000 litres) every 10 days. My friend asked
her what one earth she was doing with the water. Her response was
that she had 3 teenage children and they didn't understand the need
for short showers. My friend has 2 teenage boys of her own so was not
impressed since they don't need to be told, but then they were born to
it. We're still wondering how it is possible for a family of 5 can go
through so much water in such a short time.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:18 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Chookie" wrote in message

You aren't alone, from the tenor of letters to the Herald on the

subject.
haven't yet seen anyone who thinks that the desalination plant is

a good
idea,
let alone tapping Sydney's underground water.

i forgot to say (in my less-immoderate rant - in the full-blown

version it
was there ;-) that what set me off was yesterday's smh article

saying the
nsw govt has decided sydney peeps "would not accept" recycled

water - hence
it's desalinators full steam ahead, no discussion. ARGH.

And yet they let all that shorm water jsut run out to sea. And all of
NSW will be paying for these stupid desaliantors not just the water
hungry Syndeysiders.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 20:29:25 +1100, "Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow
wrote:

wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 14:22:13 +1100, "Farm1"

please@askifyouwannaknow
wrote:
snip snip

systems & tanks & the knowledge of where they are going wrong.

but
all they
get is the ****ing garden hose police. it makes me want to

scream.
:-)

Yep, but I'd add lots more to that rant. Don't get me started on
people who think they need new ktichens or bathrooms or computers

or

^^^^^^^^^
And you wrote this newsgroup post on ?? a note that you gave to

abird
to deliver into the ether ??

Didn't you notice the word "new"? This computer is so old it's just

Now I just "New" you would pick me up on that...... As a matter of
fact I actually did see the word written there, but it must have been
"New" at some stage of it's life....

about steam driven. I made the comment at a lunch recently about
saving something to my floppy and everyone fell about laughing. I
didn't even know that floppys had been superceded. They still work
for me, but it's just about time this poor old thing went to the
museum.

My God, it's not the buying new stuff she's expressing concern about,
obviously she's using her brain for thinking, it's the buying unnecessary
new stuff to 'keep up with the Joneses.' And if you're into buying
unnecessary new stuff to keep up with the Joneses, go for it. But we reserve
our right to be unimpressed.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:54 AM posted to aus.gardens,aus.family

Default i wrote... NOW X-POSTED

In article ,
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

My friend was in the post office one day when a new resident (who has
bought on larger acreage) was complaining that she was having to buy a
tankful of house water (5,000 litres) every 10 days. My friend asked
her what one earth she was doing with the water. Her response was
that she had 3 teenage children and they didn't understand the need
for short showers.

That's nothing to do with citified people -- that's the result of Baby Boomer
grandparents.

I've noticed a huge gulf in parenting styles in Generation X, and it divides
very neatly on when the Gen-Xers' parents were born. Gen-Xers whose parents
were Battler Generation (born before WWII) have a rather no-nonsense approach,
allow their children to fail, have boundaries, like 'natural consequences'
etc. That would be people like me and my DH. Interestingly, a rather large
proportion of our friends were raised by Battlers too, so I think there must
be a common mindset that we all share. We don't parent identically by any
means, but there are a few common themes.

Gen-Xers with Boomer parents, OTOH, have been indulged, so they have no idea
what to do with their children except cater to their every whim and -- very
importantly -- protect them from disappointment and other negative emotions
(that's their concept of 'emotional support'). I suppose that is true of the
tail-end Boomers who are still parenting atm too. In fact, I would be
interested to see if Gen-Xers with Boomer parents are more likely to own 4WDs
in the city than Gen-Xers with Battler parents. Ditto for the wasteful
eaveless Tuscanised mansions, "home theatre systems" and all the other markers
of conspicuous consumption. I am already guessing that Gen-Xers with Boomer
parents are the ones threatening soccer coaches all over Australia and
indulging in road rage.

The difference between the two groups is the amount of emphasis placed on Self
vs Community. The Boomers left all the institutions -- churches, political
parties, community groups of all kinds -- because of their strong desire for
individualism. Unfortunately that leaves you paying attention to nothing but
Self in the end.

I have cross-posted because I think aus.family might have something to add.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 06-01-2007, 06:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:
[...]

I'm concerned about sexual references by you. "Floppy" indeed Exactly
how old are you?

Old 06-01-2007, 10:29 AM posted to aus.gardens,aus.family

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
[...]

it's an interesting theory - the only problem i can find with it is that i
think it doesn't pan out in reality :-) i'd have to think about that more to
be sure where i stand on it, but as a 36y.o. child of baby boomers (dh is 38
& also the child of boomers), it certainly doesn't work in our house, &
thinking of people i know, it doesn't seem to work there either.

don't get me wrong - i'm as happy to bag out baby boomers as the next person
g. but it's unkind to think that all boomers are the same when they're
clearly not and when you do statistical breakdowns on parenting styles of
the boomers it won't work out either, i don't think.

my parents were always broke when we were growing up - do you think that
might be the real key? privilege vs lack thereof?

having said that, my own parents (now divorced) are both well-off (now), but
my dad's a mad spendthrift & my mum's as tight as a fish's bum (it was ever
thus). it's personality difference. they're almost the same age. it's not a
"boomer" thing or a generational thing when they're simply so different as
people.

am i taking your generalisation too literally?
kylie --- the idea i was "indulged" is frankly laughable :-)

Old 06-01-2007, 10:35 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

And yet they let all that shorm water jsut run out to sea.

shh! the execrable liberals want to harvest storm water. (doink! aren't they
geniuses?!)

And all of
NSW will be paying for these stupid desaliantors not just the water
hungry Syndeysiders.

i know you've got an avowed set against city-folk g, but sydneysiders
subsidise a lot of country stuff. it all works out in the end.
(paying for it's not MY big problem with the whole stupid idea!!)
kylie

Old 06-01-2007, 10:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

And yet they let all that shorm water jsut run out to sea.

shh! the execrable liberals want to harvest storm water. (doink! aren't they
geniuses?!)

And all of
NSW will be paying for these stupid desaliantors not just the water
hungry Syndeysiders.

i know you've got an avowed set against city-folk g, but sydneysiders
subsidise a lot of country stuff. it all works out in the end.
(paying for it's not MY big problem with the whole stupid idea!!)
kylie

Wish they wouldn't take all the credit and take some of Victoria's
resources to pay for it as well though.

Im just concerned that if storm water doesn't run out to sea the sharks
will go further upriver due to more salinity. That will cause some nasty
surprises. Sharks swim upriver underturd.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:55 AM posted to aus.gardens,aus.family

In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

it's an interesting theory - the only problem i can find with it is that i
think it doesn't pan out in reality :-) i'd have to think about that more to
be sure where i stand on it, but as a 36y.o. child of baby boomers (dh is 38
& also the child of boomers), it certainly doesn't work in our house, &
thinking of people i know, it doesn't seem to work there either.

snip
my parents were always broke when we were growing up - do you think that
might be the real key? privilege vs lack thereof?

Yes -- I was going to list the exceptions but didn't bother. For example,
Boomer-age migrants generally don't have the Boomer mindset because they
didn't have the usual Boomer experiences -- they were too busy learning
English/working/studying/saving. The ones who migrated for purely economic
reasons, however, have children who are a lot like Baby-Boomers, because the
parents are giving the kids everything they missed out on themselves, such as
fancy weddings.

My sister has a friend whose parents put money away every week for her
wedding. By the time she was 21 they had so much money in the account that
they used some of it to pay for the 21st... All the guests got a half-bottle
of champagne to take home. Inscribed with the girl's name and birthday
details! Goodness knows what they did for the wedding. Engraved ingots as
bomboniere?!

So yes, if your Boomer parents were very poor, that's probably why you don't
think like that. They had better things to do than consider their own
self-actualisation, or do I mean self-aggrandisement.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 06-01-2007, 01:36 PM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:
[...]

According to a certain ABC station. Fishing program.
Melbourne
It looks like i mispelled agin.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:07 PM posted to aus.gardens,aus.family

g'day chookie,

don't know that citified realy says it all, but yuippiefied might?

we are baby boome parents born in the 40's to late 50's, when homes
where simple, water use was minimal as lawns weren't vogue becuae all
you could afford to mow with was a push reel mower, and lawns where
grasses like paspalum amd crows foot with seed stems. where all we ahd
for drainage was a grease trap which emptied into the back yard where
we played.

where we had a dunnie out the back (the most eco' efficient way toe
deal with solid waste) and no one perished from pandemics of diseases
so long as you where hygenic. and our fridge was an ice box and the
ice man came every oh i dunno now couple of days or so, he would pull
the remains of the old ice out and throw it into the abck yard, and
put in the new ice. in the summer the ice man would somehow accidently
drop a block on the raod so it broke up and all us kids would grab
chunks and suck on them then throw the rest at each other.

so our parents pre-war baby boomers the settlers, bought perishables
on a daily basis and could afford to do so, when the farmer came
around with his horse and cart or little truck 3 or 4 times a week
offering fresh as loacl grown in season produce, where the local dairy
man would come deliver milk inot our s/s billy each second morning (i
think?) this was straight from udder to you stuff.

where the icecream truck came every sunday with some fresh produce,
treats for the kids to be bought and cold beer on ice for the dads.
where you would be lucky to see a single car in each yard more like
every third yard now the new 'burb's have 3 & 4 sometimes more cars,
lots of big 6's and v8's and yes the obligatory status symble 4by that
the yuppies openly display to show the "better than the jones" morale.

no!! peer pressure and yuppieism and indoctrination into believeing
that these wastefull macmansion and all the trimmings are as good as
it gets. so us baby boomer as parent and grand-parents as well now are
battlers the common folk, the others are the psuedo neuvo rich yuppie
set, the real resource wasters, because money buys everything hey?
well got news for them they can't drink money as water nor can they
eat it as food.

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 16:54:39 +1100, Chookie
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 06-01-2007, 11:59 PM posted to aus.gardens,aus.family
Jen Jen is offline

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

it's an interesting theory - the only problem i can find with it is that
think it doesn't pan out in reality :-) i'd have to think about that more
be sure where i stand on it, but as a 36y.o. child of baby boomers (dh is
38
& also the child of boomers), it certainly doesn't work in our house, &
thinking of people i know, it doesn't seem to work there either.

snip
my parents were always broke when we were growing up - do you think that
might be the real key? privilege vs lack thereof?

Yes -- I was going to list the exceptions but didn't bother.

I think there are too many exceptions to make the whole generalisation
become irrelevant. It would depend on personality, finance, where they
live, family life, parents, all these things in their upbringing, even
religion, culture and values would have some impact, as well as life
experiences.

I don't think this generalisation works actually.

Jen

[...]

"Parenthood is like the modern stone washing process for denim jeans. You
may
Kerry Cue

Old 07-01-2007, 12:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

My friend was in the post office one day when a new resident (who

has
bought on larger acreage) was complaining that she was having to

buy a
tankful of house water (5,000 litres) every 10 days. My friend

asked
her what one earth she was doing with the water. Her response was
that she had 3 teenage children and they didn't understand the

need
for short showers.

I have cross-posted because I think aus.family might have something

to add.

I stronly object to your cross posting. You may think my post had
something to do with a generational difference but I do not. It's
about attitudes to water and waste which is relevant in this ng but
not in my opinion to a family group where I did not post and do not
want to post.

If you want to post a rant of your own to a family group then do so,
but in future please do NOT use MY post to which you attach your rant.