Old 11-01-2007, 07:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default i wrote...

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 01:51:23 GMT, gardenlen wrote:

how easily could our leaders save more wate than they can poke a stick
at hey??

I honestly think that the current crop of leaders are little more than
good compost going to waste...

But seriously, there are so many things that *could* be being done, but
that would challenge the way things *have always* been done. What we
need is a major mind set change, from our current approach - how can we
throw lots of resources (energy, water, materials) at the problem - to a
somewhat sustainable approach - how can we turn the problem into a
solution?

On another list, it was pointed out to me that this is the difference
between the 20th century approach and the permaculture approach:

Solutions are the Problems: how we approach things now = **** stuff up
Problems are Solutions: in permaculture, the "problem" becomes useful

Those little blue cubes are clever little devices, but better would be
to capture the nutrient for use in the garden (a permaculture approach).
However, this is a bigger challenge to the way things have always been
done, so the blue cubes, and other waterless loo ideas, are our best
option for changing the way our councils do urinals. Note also this one:

http://www.rotaloo.com/02urinal.html

I wonder whether Goublurn (NSW) is using either of these yet? (wasn't
last time I looked, and neither is my local council even after they were
advised of both options)
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"If we are serious about reducing the environmental impact
Old 11-01-2007, 11:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
stuff

so basically this morning, i wrote a reply here to the effect of
applause, but then my little son turned the telly on after being told
he was not allowed, and turning the telly on while the pooty is on makes
the pooty go bung, and i lost it & i'm not writing it again. :-)
(and little ds was _definitely_ not allowed to watch telly after all
those shenanigans.)
kylie Er Puty og bunf wen telly switch on.

Plug it in away from the Telly, that is, remover power from that socket
get it elsewhere.
Unless u r using a generator.

well in fact mostly solar :-)

the problem is most likely our antique inverter, which has a fainting fit at
times. the only solution at this point is just to do what your mama says ;-)
kylie

Old 11-01-2007, 11:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
Yes well it is theri business and they stand to loose alot of money due to
lack of customers.

i'm pretty sure their major motivation is ideological though.

I cant see why they dont allow vegie gardent to be
watered.

me either. it is very cross-making.
kylie

Old 11-01-2007, 12:55 PM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message

Yes well it is theri business and they stand to loose alot of money due to
lack of customers.

i'm pretty sure their major motivation is ideological though.

I cant see why they dont allow vegie gardent to be

watered.

me either. it is very cross-making.
kylie

Theres an idea. Make em cross!
Old 11-01-2007, 12:57 PM posted to aus.gardens

Suggest you get an UPS
(which doesnt stand for Unlimited Power Suppply.
That will set you back around $250 for a reasonably cheap one, but evan
more can be spent...

Old 12-01-2007, 05:42 AM posted to aus.gardens,aus.family

Default i wrote... NOW X-POSTED

In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

i really don't think there's one "boomer mindset" though. the boomers have
age-related similarities in many ways (just as every generation does) but i
can't handle the idea of a boomer mindset.

Er...? So what age-related similarities do you mean?

they were the most privileged
generation australia has ever had (i don't think subsequent generations are
nearly so privileged - and by that i'm clearly not only talking about money,
but general advantage, access, and power) and that may make some difference
between them & the rest of us, but in the main i feel parenting style comes
down to so many factors that one's generation is quite possibly the least of
it.

Well, I thought that as well, but I am still wondering what has driven my
entire generation to favour Victorian names (except for the ones who like
bogan names). There is *something* going on.

my dad is totally overindulgent to himself & others - so
when we were broke, we were the ones taking stuff back from the supermarket
checkout because he didn't have enough money to actually get everything we'd
asked for. if we'd been wealthy, i wonder what sort of angry, self-entitled
****** i'd be, according to your theory? g

Well, you might have been! If my parents had been compatible enough to stay
together (and I look at them and wonder what they were thinking to get
married!) I would have grown up in a different part of Sydney, with rather
more privelege, and (therefore?) considerably less compassion, I suspect.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 12-01-2007, 05:47 AM posted to aus.gardens,aus.family

In article ,
gardenlen wrote:

not sure chookie,

waht i mean is they are the way they are due to peer pressure not
because we where baby boomer parents who thought they should have
everything, quiet the opposite they developed all these wasteful ways
since leaving home, now we are trying to get them to think different
but not winning i tell you.

Which is more what I was getting at. I should have been clearer in that I
don't think boomers have deliberately brought up bratty kids or something --
but *something* in the boomer mindset, perhaps the independence of thought,
has led the kids to be more selfish than their parents/grandparents. Perhaps
it's just 2-3 generations of privilege and relative peace?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 12-01-2007, 07:02 AM posted to aus.gardens,aus.family

Chookie wrote:
Which is more what I was getting at. I should have been clearer in that I
don't think boomers have deliberately brought up bratty kids or something --
but *something* in the boomer mindset, perhaps the independence of thought,
has led the kids to be more selfish than their parents/grandparents. Perhaps
it's just 2-3 generations of privilege and relative peace?

I blame it on Dr Spock.

Interestingly, there are no baby boomers in my family.
My mother was born in 1940, just prior to the boom.
I was born in 1967, two or three years after the generally
accepted end of the period. Well I think it is interesting
anyway...

Old 12-01-2007, 07:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

The other thing that I've noticed with TAFEs is that the trend in what
they are offering seems to be downward. By that I mean that it seems
to be more about lifestyle stuff than the good solid old education
they used to offer. That may just be the locally available stuff but
I canstantly keep thinking it's fluff when I look at the courses on
offer.

Shouldn't be -- they got rid of everything "non-vocational" a while back (that
went to ACE). Odd.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 12-01-2007, 07:23 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Apart from the energy expense there is the damage to the ocean environment
caused by slurping in water at a particular point and expelling extremely
salty water somewhere else.

The situation of slurping is not a problem, millions /Billions of litres
are removed by the sun each day.

That's evaporation, not a big hole that sucks the water in like a vaccuum
cleaner. At least, I'm assumingg they'll use a pump of some sort.

by evaporation of salty water, the issue of very salty water being
pumped back could be easily solved, as the by product called salt is in
demand. I'm sure that various salt producers would be only to happy to
co operate in obtaining this waste product.

That would mean *complete* evaporation. Not sure if that's how it's going to
operate (operational details are a bit thin on the ground).

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue

Old 12-01-2007, 07:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Apart from the energy expense there is the damage to the ocean environment
caused by slurping in water at a particular point and expelling extremely
salty water somewhere else.

The situation of slurping is not a problem, millions /Billions of litres
are removed by the sun each day.

That's evaporation, not a big hole that sucks the water in like a vaccuum
cleaner. At least, I'm assumingg they'll use a pump of some sort.

by evaporation of salty water, the issue of very salty water being
pumped back could be easily solved, as the by product called salt is in
demand. I'm sure that various salt producers would be only to happy to
co operate in obtaining this waste product.

That would mean *complete* evaporation. Not sure if that's how it's going to
operate (operational details are a bit thin on the ground).

But it WOULD take less time to evaporate, a saving of resources.
But as far as localised problems you're concerned about, yes I agree
with you, it would need to be considered so it would impact least in a
particular situation. But with problems there are solutions.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:56 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
Chookie wrote:

That would mean *complete* evaporation. Not sure if that's how

it's going to
operate (operational details are a bit thin on the ground).

But it WOULD take less time to evaporate, a saving of resources.
But as far as localised problems you're concerned about, yes I agree
with you, it would need to be considered so it would impact least in

particular situation. But with problems there are solutions.

Did anyone see "The Inventors" show a few months back with the small
liquid purification unit that is being used by Rotary in an aid
program in Pakistan?

This unit could clean up any sort of water and make it potable. Using
this unit it would be possible to put sea water pipes directly into
Sydney households and have a salt collection service that runs just
like the garbage service does now. Dunno why someone hasn't come up
with that idea. Maybe tehy think that households would splash
seawater around outside.