Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #16   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2007, 12:25 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 205
Default Air conditioners

jonno asked,

""Please explain

i gave up munging my e/m addy yonks ago found it made it difficult
for
communication with little benefit gained.
What form of expression is this? (puzzled look on my face)

this is the return e/m addy that appeared on your e/m to me:

""

unless i am mistaked that is a munged addy and it is yor choice to
take this action, i myself used to in the mistaken belief that it
would help in some way, so i took this opportunity to mention that to
you.

now i also now sign all my posts as well as verify me with the
addition of a web page this give me the human factor when i caht with
others, and i feel it also makes for easier communication.

nothing here for you to take to heart, i would have answered you via
e/mail if i was sure the email would not bounce.


With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

  #17   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2007, 12:43 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 183
Default Air conditioners

So it is the non de plume I use to prevent spam that is the munched adde
e/m = email address + munched should read mulched I reckon (grin!)

gardenlen wrote:
jonno asked,

""Please explain

i gave up munging my e/m addy yonks ago found it made it difficult
for
communication with little benefit gained.
What form of expression is this? (puzzled look on my face)

this is the return e/m addy that appeared on your e/m to me:

""

unless i am mistaked that is a munged addy and it is yor choice to
take this action, i myself used to in the mistaken belief that it
would help in some way, so i took this opportunity to mention that to
you.

now i also now sign all my posts as well as verify me with the
addition of a web page this give me the human factor when i caht with
others, and i feel it also makes for easier communication.

nothing here for you to take to heart, i would have answered you via
e/mail if i was sure the email would not bounce.


With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

  #18   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2007, 03:31 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 735
Default Air conditioners

"Jonno" wrote in message

So it is the non de plume I use to prevent spam that is the munched

adde
e/m = email address + munched should read mulched I reckon (grin!)


No, it's not the nom de plume. Its the address that is munged. You
can call yourself by a real or imagined name but if you alter your
addy so you won't get a direct response to you and the reply is
bounced to the sender, then that is "munging".

Stops spam harvesters and thus a consequential inbox full of spam.


gardenlen wrote:
jonno asked,

""Please explain

i gave up munging my e/m addy yonks ago found it made it

difficult
for
communication with little benefit gained.
What form of expression is this? (puzzled look on my face)

this is the return e/m addy that appeared on your e/m to me:

""

unless i am mistaked that is a munged addy and it is yor choice to
take this action,




  #19   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2007, 06:52 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 183
Default Air conditioners

Fair enough my intention entirely. Internet colloquialisms Who needs em....
Its a false address. For survival of spam. I have no problems these days.

Farm1 wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message

So it is the non de plume I use to prevent spam that is the munched

adde
e/m = email address + munched should read mulched I reckon (grin!)


No, it's not the nom de plume. Its the address that is munged. You
can call yourself by a real or imagined name but if you alter your
addy so you won't get a direct response to you and the reply is
bounced to the sender, then that is "munging".

Stops spam harvesters and thus a consequential inbox full of spam.

gardenlen wrote:
jonno asked,

""Please explain

i gave up munging my e/m addy yonks ago found it made it

difficult
for
communication with little benefit gained.
What form of expression is this? (puzzled look on my face)

this is the return e/m addy that appeared on your e/m to me:

""

unless i am mistaked that is a munged addy and it is yor choice to
take this action,




  #20   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2007, 10:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 713
Default Air conditioners

"Jonno" wrote in message
...
Please explain

i gave up munging my e/m addy yonks ago found it made it difficult for
communication with little benefit gained.
What form of expression is this? (puzzled look on my face)


translation:
"quite a while ago, i gave up the changed form of my email address, given as
my reply address for newsgroup correspondence. i found that people had more
trouble communicating with me. even though i received less spam *, on
balance, it was not worth the trouble to do so, so i no longer do it, and
now supply my correct email address in case you would like to email me."
/translation
:-)
kylie
* otterbot's speculation ;-)




  #21   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2007, 10:55 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 713
Default Air conditioners

"LindaB" wrote in message
...
(SNIP)
But my important message is - people need to have this sort of
information so they can make decisions. It does not seem to be
anywhere in teh discussions on water saving.


crikey, i'll say. i did NOT know that air conditioners used so much water!!
/adds this fact to list of gripes about air conditioners g
kylie
(i back you that you're helping inform people, definitely).


  #22   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2007, 11:09 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 713
Default Air conditioners

"gardenlen" wrote in message
...
(snip
and all because we aren't designing houses to suit our climate.

this is incomprehensable realy? how many of these units are there
installed around the country and how many are using more than 20
litres per hour?

(snip)

preach it, len!!!111

i'll tell you one thing (which you undoubtedly know a version thereof). we
lived in a semi-detached worker's cottage in the inner-west of sydney (the
only part of sydney that gets hot, as a rule ;-) the whole thing was only
about 5m wide, but our back area, the part that faced west, used to get so
insufferably hot in summer. the 2nd summer we were there, we put in a
passionfruit to cover the back, which it did very quickly (being only 5m
wide) and after that, the difference was utterly amazing. if we were
better-off people who owned the house (we rented) we might have put in a/c.
but, not only do i have a set against a/c anyway g, but we weren't in any
position to do that.

how many people have a similar situation where their house is becoming very
hot but they don't think to use a deciduous vine to fix the situation?
(plus, we got passionfruit out of the deal as well ;-)

and here i am wondering about the sheer waste of drinking water to
simply flush urine away.

even in these unsutiable for our condition inefficient homes does any
one ever look to passive cooling before they waster resources?


some of us do, some of us don't, and some of us have forgotten how. really
old people who remember very hard times never seem(?) to be the first to do
what people used to do to fix basic problems in a simple but sustainable
way.
kylie


  #23   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2007, 11:39 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 183
Default Air conditioners

0tterbot wrote:
"LindaB" wrote in message
...
(SNIP)
But my important message is - people need to have this sort of
information so they can make decisions. It does not seem to be
anywhere in teh discussions on water saving.


crikey, i'll say. i did NOT know that air conditioners used so much water!!
/adds this fact to list of gripes about air conditioners g
kylie
(i back you that you're helping inform people, definitely).


Lets get that straight. Evaporative air conditioners, or should they be
called coolers?
  #24   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2007, 08:14 PM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 205
Default Air conditioners

g'day jonno,

on the water conservation side it probably may not matter whether they
are called air-con's or coolers, the are meant to keep people comfy in
otherwise uncomfy designed homes. and lots of these units not so
visible anymore as they are hidden in roof cavaties, wonder why they
thought of doing that? and at the end of the day the gov' is
protecting that side of the cooling industry.

and at the end of the day they are water wasters!! that from what i
see here lots of us knew nothing of as we pull our belts in.

so if you look at the scenerio unfolding here in brissy, suburbs are
going to ahve their water pressure turned down so many will need to
install pumps to give them the pressure they need.

now the councils at great expense ahve modified all the grids so they
can control pressure probably even turn off water to different suburbs
as they see fit, but still in those very suburbs there are people
using these wastefull machines.

now the councils could have used the federally funded money to pipe
recycled water to industry and provide it for use in the toilets of
homes & schools, as well as replaced all auto urinals with no-water
full flush units, but no they take the knee jerk method.



On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 21:39:48 +1100, Jonno
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
  #25   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2007, 09:00 PM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 183
Default Air conditioners

gardenlen wrote:
g'day jonno,

on the water conservation side it probably may not matter whether they
are called air-con's or coolers, the are meant to keep people comfy in
otherwise uncomfy designed homes. and lots of these units not so
visible anymore as they are hidden in roof cavaties, wonder why they
thought of doing that? and at the end of the day the gov' is
protecting that side of the cooling industry.

and at the end of the day they are water wasters!! that from what i
see here lots of us knew nothing of as we pull our belts in.

so if you look at the scenerio unfolding here in brissy, suburbs are
going to ahve their water pressure turned down so many will need to
install pumps to give them the pressure they need.

now the councils at great expense ahve modified all the grids so they
can control pressure probably even turn off water to different suburbs
as they see fit, but still in those very suburbs there are people
using these wastefull machines.

now the councils could have used the federally funded money to pipe
recycled water to industry and provide it for use in the toilets of
homes & schools, as well as replaced all auto urinals with no-water
full flush units, but no they take the knee jerk method.



On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 21:39:48 +1100, Jonno
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Re Air conditoners and Evaporative coolers, we do need to differentiate
as they function quite differently re use of water and some people would
be confused.
Not wishing to be a party pooper, but I feel that the relevant
authorities should be kept informed. I dont know how many of these
things are installed but if the amount of water is this wasteful, it
makes washing machines look good. Remember these are used all the time
when weather is hot and would really consume more than washers, because
of constant use. It could go a long way to explain increased water use
in the summer time.



  #26   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2007, 10:34 PM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 205
Default Air conditioners

g'day jonno,


snipped


Re Air conditoners and Evaporative coolers, we do need to differentiate
as they function quite differently re use of water and some people would
be confused.
Not wishing to be a party pooper, but I feel that the relevant
authorities should be kept informed. I dont know how many of these
things are installed but if the amount of water is this wasteful, it
makes washing machines look good. Remember these are used all the time
when weather is hot and would really consume more than washers, because
of constant use. It could go a long way to explain increased water use
in the summer time.


With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
  #27   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2007, 10:51 PM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 205
Default Air conditioners

g'day jonno,

yes i agree with you, but if people see them as air-con's then
matching their vision won't detract from their inefficiencies as
alla/c units are that and if not wastefull of power then of water as
well, and the future of both issues goes hand in glove.

my bet is the authorities know where all the water is being wasted but
they are only targetting the lowest common denominator and that is us
the masses, because most of us the masses don't have any real idea of
the total picture, remember there is app' 4million families in oz' and
here we represent about mmm!!! 20 families??? give or take.

that is why evap' coolers are now hidden in roof cavities as i would
see it "out of sight out of mind" and as has been shown in this thread
lots of us had no idea about how these things worked did we? well me
for one for sure.

i keep getting your e/mails with munged upaddy, you have no fear from
me stalking or spamming, just to tell you my progression from a munged
addy to my up front addy. when i miunged my addy even on my web page i
still got spammed, and as i found later i lost lots of contact with
others realative novices who don't recognise a munged addy.

and one can just imagine with an evap' unit running 24/7 say even for
1 month of the year, and you and me and us are paying the price for
that.

so i got myself a wardrobe of anti-spyware programs and unmunged my
addy, currently i get less junk now than i ever got in the past,
people can contact me easily. not long ago i opend a g-mail account it
was only known to me and one other person i was associated with on a
friendly basis, the spam that came into that inbox was astranomical,
we chatted seldom but multiple times daily i had to clear the junk,
the account ahs now been closed. the worst thing is not the up front
in your face spam it is the person who dumps a spy cookie on your site
to monitor you and being munged didn't stop that.

i at that time had software and searched this person out who then
informed me that he could legaly do this, well i told him i don't care
about legal and to leave me alone or i would take whatever action i
needed to get rid of his interference, he desisted.


snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
  #28   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2007, 11:11 PM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 183
Default Air conditioners

gardenlen wrote:
g'day jonno,

yes i agree with you, but if people see them as air-con's then
matching their vision won't detract from their inefficiencies as
alla/c units are that and if not wastefull of power then of water as
well, and the future of both issues goes hand in glove.

my bet is the authorities know where all the water is being wasted but
they are only targetting the lowest common denominator and that is us
the masses, because most of us the masses don't have any real idea of
the total picture, remember there is app' 4million families in oz' and
here we represent about mmm!!! 20 families??? give or take.

that is why evap' coolers are now hidden in roof cavities as i would
see it "out of sight out of mind" and as has been shown in this thread
lots of us had no idea about how these things worked did we? well me
for one for sure.

i keep getting your e/mails with munged upaddy, you have no fear from
me stalking or spamming, just to tell you my progression from a munged
addy to my up front addy. when i miunged my addy even on my web page i
still got spammed, and as i found later i lost lots of contact with
others realative novices who don't recognise a munged addy.

and one can just imagine with an evap' unit running 24/7 say even for
1 month of the year, and you and me and us are paying the price for
that.

so i got myself a wardrobe of anti-spyware programs and unmunged my
addy, currently i get less junk now than i ever got in the past,
people can contact me easily. not long ago i opend a g-mail account it
was only known to me and one other person i was associated with on a
friendly basis, the spam that came into that inbox was astranomical,
we chatted seldom but multiple times daily i had to clear the junk,
the account ahs now been closed. the worst thing is not the up front
in your face spam it is the person who dumps a spy cookie on your site
to monitor you and being munged didn't stop that.

i at that time had software and searched this person out who then
informed me that he could legaly do this, well i told him i don't care
about legal and to leave me alone or i would take whatever action i
needed to get rid of his interference, he desisted.


snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Whatever re addresses.
I repair computers these days, and I find all the spam used to come from
areas such as these, despite putting filters in place.
So this works for me.
Using the terms you are using just confuses me, as I see it as
unneccesary slang, and we have enough crap on the computer scene without
this.
Dont take it personally, but I feel people like to confuse things for
their own reasons. So I dont comply.
  #29   Report Post  
Old 06-01-2007, 11:20 PM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 205
Default Air conditioners

sorry if i have upset you in some way jonno,

i can understand where you come from with the use of slang terms but
folk like me who are rank novices in thei technology world just use
waht ahs been purported to us by others who are of the technical whiz
kiddery world.

i currently have an old addy that no one uses anymore and it gets more
spam than my up front addies.



snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
  #30   Report Post  
Old 07-01-2007, 01:22 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 735
Default Air conditioners

"0tterbot" wrote in message

some of us do, some of us don't, and some of us have forgotten how.

really
old people who remember very hard times never seem(?) to be the

first to do
what people used to do to fix basic problems in a simple but

sustainable
way.


One of the old ways of providing comfort to small babies in really hot
central Australian conditions was to turn the kitchen table upside
down, and to put it in a breeze way with the child in a bassinet on
the underside of the tabletop and to then drape a wet sheet over the
legs. We used a similar technique when we had a young sproglet and
had to travel by car in summer - wet towel draped on child and selves
and put the fan on in the car.




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All new models of Mitsubishi air conditioners [email protected] Lawns 1 14-06-2007 09:10 PM
Top Air Conditioners Models Reviews [email protected] Lawns 0 07-06-2007 05:09 PM
Newest Top Air Conditioners Models - June Market Edition [email protected] Lawns 0 28-05-2007 04:36 AM
LG Art Cool Air Conditioners [email protected] Lawns 0 17-05-2007 07:56 PM
Air conditioners SG1 Australia 0 05-01-2007 12:08 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017