Old 07-01-2007, 12:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Air conditioners

"Jonno" wrote in message

Using the terms you are using just confuses me, as I see it as
unneccesary slang, and we have enough crap on the computer scene

without
this.
Dont take it personally, but I feel people like to confuse things

for
their own reasons. So I dont comply.

That comment made me laugh. I often find your comments totally
incomprehensible and haven't got a clue what you're on about. I'd
thought you were using some form of computer shorthand that I just
didn't understand at all.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

g'day stuart,

yes it is a very important distinction when comparing the 2 types of
applications, but whether someone refers to a unit as an air
conditioner be it an evaporative unit probably doesn't change the
context of the current water/power chatting.

even though as has been seen restricting householders use of water
simply isn't putting water back into the dams, and any sensible person
can see it is not stopping water dissapearing from dams eg.,. taken by
industry/agriculture, governemnt dept's, evaporation (shallow dams)
and soakage (dams built over arrible land), and here where i am the
major dams where never built for water storage but in fact where built
for flood mitigation, so they are little more than flood plain weirs.

and that is bad planning by our expensive monkeys.

but still "they" burden the householder.

but still on the householder level there is still waste and some of
that is these evaporative coolers ( the fridge type a/c units still
use power which is the other factor)

so on that level and as continued increasing restrictions aren't
working bring in user pay, that is you apy for each litre you draw
from the system as you draw it, then that will be fairer to thos of us
who are conserving, as the wasters will pay increased bills and the
conservers will be rewarded with a lessor bill.

will it save water in the big picture maybe dunno? when you take into
account that before all these restrictions the message i heard was
that we householders use only app' 20% of produced water. and of that
produced water something less than 2% gets used for drinking.

so on those figures if we householders all stopped using water
tomorrow the dams would still empty, wouldn't they and most likley at
very near the same rate they currently are?

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 11:11:49 +1100, Stuart Naylor
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 07-01-2007, 11:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...

Whatever re addresses.
I repair computers these days, and I find all the spam used to come from
areas such as these, despite putting filters in place.
So this works for me.
Using the terms you are using just confuses me, as I see it as unneccesary
slang, and we have enough crap on the computer scene without this.
Dont take it personally, but I feel people like to confuse things for
their own reasons. So I dont comply.

but, a "munged addy" really IS a "munged addy" (or even a munged address).
that's just what it's _called_. well, it might be called an "altered reply
address" or something like that too, but the other's not really slang any
more because it's so common. jmo anyway.
kylie

Old 07-01-2007, 11:09 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

Big Snip
that's just what it's _called_. well, it might be called an "altered reply
address" or something like that too, but the other's not really slang any
more because it's so common. jmo anyway.
kylie

& there was I thinking it was "altered states"

Old 08-01-2007, 01:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

Stuart Naylor wrote:
Looking around, Air conditioners are relatively cheaper to buy
compared to buying and installing Evaporative coolers. But people are
attracted to Evaporative coolers because once they are installed their
running costs are considerably less than that of Air conditioners.

Ducted refridgerative air conditioners are more expensive
than evaporative systems at the moment. Small split
systems are becoming quite cheap, and there is something
to be said for cooling only the room which is being used,
instead of trying to keep the whole house cool.

The old-fashioned window or wall mounted systems are
even cheaper, but noisy and ugly.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Stuart Naylor" wrote in message

Air conditioners are more costly to use but don't use any of our water
supply.

Refrigerated air conditioners, however, use much more electricity than
evaporative coolers and therefore generate substantially more greenhouse
gases. Some sources claim its 20 times as much! Inevitably, both systems
have a deleterious impact on the environment and neither are desirable.
Nevertheless, I've installed an evaporative system in my house because I
think its the lesser of two evils (IMHO the enormous amount of coal burned
by refrigerated systems is a bigger problem than the quantity of water used
by evaporative systems).

Old 08-01-2007, 04:38 AM posted to aus.gardens

wow so we might run out of water to drink? that's a different slant.

does anyone ever think that building and designing a home that needs
no air con might be the way to go long term.

that way then the 2 evils of air con'/cooling don't factor in. but
anyway lets waste good drinking water cooling someone down.
evaporatives add to the humidity which at the end of the day make the
whole situation a wholke lot less comfortable so more cooling is then
used.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Jonno" wrote in message
Please explain

i gave up munging my e/m addy yonks ago found it made it difficult for
communication with little benefit gained.
What form of expression is this? (puzzled look on my face)

translation:
"quite a while ago, i gave up the changed form of my email address, given
as my reply address for newsgroup correspondence. i found that people had
more trouble communicating with me. even though i received less spam *, on
balance, it was not worth the trouble to do so, so i no longer do it, and
now supply my correct email address in case you would like to email me."
/translation
:-)
kylie
* otterbot's speculation ;-)

lol

Old 08-01-2007, 06:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

NO No , you havent upset me, but clear and concise is the way I teach
others and terms tend to get in the way of knowledge, though it can get
difficult to do even this with all the bits and terms used with
comfusers.. er computers...as an example.

gardenlen wrote:
sorry if i have upset you in some way jonno,

i can understand where you come from with the use of slang terms but
folk like me who are rank novices in thei technology world just use
waht ahs been purported to us by others who are of the technical whiz
kiddery world.

i currently have an old addy that no one uses anymore and it gets more
spam than my up front addies.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

"gardenlen" wrote in message

wow so we might run out of water to drink? that's a different slant.

does anyone ever think that building and designing a home that needs
no air con might be the way to go long term.

that way then the 2 evils of air con'/cooling don't factor in. but
anyway lets waste good drinking water cooling someone down.
evaporatives add to the humidity which at the end of the day make the
whole situation a wholke lot less comfortable so more cooling is then
used.

As I said, neither refrigerated nor evaporative cooling is desirable.
Passive design is of course the ideal way to go, but isn't always feasible
eg existing poorly designed apartments and houses. However where the
decision is made to go for some form of mechanical cooling, I would rather
see evaporative used in appropriate climates like Melbourne's than
refrigerated cooling. As I said previously, I think its the lesser of two
evils. Coal is (1) a depletable resource and (2) one of the major sources
of greenhouse gas. Water on the other hand is not depletable - the problem
with water (1) it gets dirty when used by humans and consequently does
environmental damage and (2) the location and frequency of precipitation
changes, eg causing droughts and floods in specific locations. Drought and
flood in specific locations is (in part) a consequence of climate change,
not the cause. In any event, the real problem with water is not evaporative
air conditioning - approx 90% of all water consumed in Victoria is used for
farming, almost all of it grossly inefficient (the figure is more like 80%
for Australia as a whole IIRC, probably because irrigation is relatively
more important in Vic). In other words, I suspect that refrigerated air
conditioning is a (much) bigger part of the energy problem than evaporative
cooling is in relation to the water problem.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:23 AM posted to aus.gardens

g'day jonno,

for me mate because i wasn't born into this technology it tend to
follow the primse " when in rome do as the romans do". and as i ahng
out in some techniocal areas because i need help at times i tend to
try and learn they way they want it.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

currently water is very depletable as i see it as most of our dams
are'n't built in areas where they get the benefit of all rains that
fall.

to me the greatest damge to our rainfall is the depletion of our
habitat for housing/industry developments and more so for broadacre
farms who then have license to use vast amounts of water growing crops
out of season.

keep in mind though the power you don't use to keep cool is probably
still being used to process that clean water that comes to your homes,
so to me all air cooling is one of the waste follies we follow much
like then when it gets cold the same citizens will then use a reverse
cycle or burn any manner of fuel to keep warm.

i would hate to think someone somtime may go thirsty because others
want to keep cool.

meantime we are restricted from watering our vege' patch but a
nerighbour can run and evaporative cooler unchecked. bet my vege'
patch would use a lot lot less water than a cooler will hey?

Old 08-01-2007, 12:47 PM posted to aus.gardens

"gardenlen" wrote in message

meantime we are restricted from watering our vege' patch but a
nerighbour can run and evaporative cooler unchecked. bet my vege'
patch would use a lot lot less water than a cooler will hey?

Yes Len, I reckon that would be right. BTW, whereabouts on your web site
can I find your recipe for clothes washing detergent? Had a look, but
couldn't find it :-(

Old 08-01-2007, 07:03 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day claude,

on the remedies page, it is a very simple recipe the wife loves the
stuff as do many others who have used it.

it can be usd as had wash and general cleaner.

we have modified it a littel preffering to increase the use of
eucalypt oil and not use the lavender, also we find making it more
concentrated in 10 litre lots is easier to store. so nothing is set in
cement you may want to add t-tree oil?

Old 08-01-2007, 09:07 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

but anyway lets waste good drinking water cooling someone down.

Heavily snipped

Len the water you drink cools you down aka sweat
Jim
TFIC