Old 05-01-2007, 12:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Air conditioners

The Airconditioner, removes what ever moisture there is in the air. It
removes it by condensation.You will see humidity reports which tell you how
much humidity there is in the air. You can usually feel it when its
extremely humid after a hot day and its started to rain. Depemding on the
humidity factor, the airconditioner will remove more or less water. A really
dry spell will produce very little moisture, but also, due to less moisture,
less temperature or heat will be trandferred to your body. Thats why its
important to keep dry in cold weather... Thats good becuse otherwise we
could not stay alive when in places like Marble Bar when temperatures are 45
to 50 C. plus.
Regarding the water, the water would be fairly pure and local minerals have
nothing to do with it.What will have something to do with it will be how the
aircondioner is put together and what materials the water is in contact with
on its way to the bucket.
This will usually be minimal. Great for plants and if a little copper or
aluminium is involved it will not hurt any plant.
My fern is doing very well thank you due to this.
Tour airconditioner must be at least 1/2 a horsepower to create this amount
of water.

"LindaB" wrote in message
news
Have not been following the water saving discussions here - lack of
time. So sorry if this has been covered before.

But I am stunned. My beloved has just adjusted down our air
conditioner (you know, that box on the roof). We do not use it a lot,
but when we do, it now sends the minimum 20 litres per hour of water
down into the roof guttering and into the stormwater system.

Bloody Hell!

We have just put a garden hose on the end, and are working out what
sort of small tank goes on there.

He says they all vary, and have to be set at higher rates in areas
where the water is more mineralised. And brands vary. His mother's ran
at either half a litre, or a litre a minute on the minimum!

Lot of water going to waste out there!

Cheers

Linda

Old 05-01-2007, 12:29 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:
The Airconditioner, removes what ever moisture there is in the air. It
removes it by condensation.

Sounds like you are talking about refrigerative air conditioning.
I think Linda is talking about evaporative.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

Sounds like you are talking about refrigerative air conditioning.
I think Linda is talking about evaporative.

Yeah, i'm confused about what everyone is talking about here. Regardless, I
just rang Brivis to ask if it's ok to collect the water from an evaporative
cooler for the garden and they said yes it's fine, just not for drinking.

Chris.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message

Evaporative does not create water.

Yes, that aspect has got me puzzled too. I have always been under the
impression that evaporative coolers transfer water molecules into the air
being ducted into the building. So they presumably evaporate a fair amount
of reticulated water but why would there be any unused water going into the
storm water system? Why especially would there be the sort of quantities
going to waste that Linda is talking about? I suppose the answer is that
some systems run the water through a system of pads and anything not
evaporated is piped away rather than reused again - if so, would be
interesting to know if all brands and models are guilty.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

Whoops my mistake. The other still goes.
But running it into the storm water seems a terrible waste
Should this be allowed if this is the case?

....LindaB wrote:
No, the evaporative conditioner doesn't "create" water.

It uses water. That I understand comes from the water mains.

As part of the process it also emits water, in a bleeding process,
that is discarded, down the pipe from the dampers, into the spouting.

The manual for ours, plus the settings, are for a minimum of 20 litres
per hour.

Linda

"Jonno" wrote:

Evaporative does not create water.
wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 05-01-2007, 01:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

I was under t he impression that the water was recycled locally and only
needed to be repleneished as the level falls.
This is not good enough.

LindaB wrote:
My understanding is that it is a bleeding process to prevent
mineralisation.

At this rate we are filling a standard bucket in under an hour.

Lot of water!

This one is a Carrier, second smallest model. My beloved reckons that
it probably uses a 100 litres an hour from the mains, and is bleeding
at a ratio of 5:1. So anything in the ingoing water comes out at a
raio of five times stronger in the bleed.

Which is why it is set at a higher bleed rate for, for example, bore
water.

He also reckons the larger models will be using one hell of a lot of
water - so here is another reason the water storages are emptying
quicker.

But at least we are catching 20% of it now.

Linda

Old 05-01-2007, 01:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

"LindaB" wrote in message

But at least we are catching 20% of it now.

Won't the 'waste' water be highly saline and therefore unsuitable for many
plants? Seems to me that's the only reason that the water can't be recycled
infinitely - the concentration of salt might get too high.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

"LindaB" wrote in message
Wouldn't it be wonderful if the building permit system was used so
that the installation of any new evaporative air conditioner

required
the installation of a tank of a certain size to harvest the water

that
was then used on the garden.

Think I will write to my local MP

Good idea. I think I'll write to mine and ask him to lobby to have
the wasteful things banned unless there is a child under 5 or a person
over 75 or a terminally ill person in the house - backed up by a
medical cert or course.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:35 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day linda,

i've not yet delved into the wastefullness of resources by air
conditioners, but in our current drought situation people are using
units that not only consume power but waste something like 20 litres
per running time hour of valuable drinking water??

that could be potentialy more water use per day than our whole
household uses currently around 300 litres per day.

and all because we aren't designing houses to suit our climate.

this is incomprehensable realy? how many of these units are there
installed around the country and how many are using more than 20
litres per hour?

and here i am wondering about the sheer waste of drinking water to
simply flush urine away.

even in these unsutiable for our condition inefficient homes does any
one ever look to passive cooling before they waster resources?

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 11:23:47 +1100, LindaB
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Old 05-01-2007, 10:54 PM posted to aus.gardens

These units, though less wasteful on power resources (after all thats
why people brought this type of unit)it is nevertheless very wasteful of
water resources.
I would suggest that homes with these types of units should install
a water tank, using the water collected for the toilet and use the rest
for their garden.
I believe in Victoria the Government subsidises these and installation
of tanks.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:24 PM posted to aus.gardens

Here is the information on rebate on water tanks

http://www.yvw.com.au/NR/rdonlyres/4...heet020107.pdf

You will need acrobat to read this.
Form Yarra water website. The rebate appears to cover all of Victoria.
http://www.yvw.com.au/yvw/Home

LindaB wrote:
Hi Len,

Just to confirm, and keeping away from words like "waste" for the
minute (as it could be argued the moment it is drawn from the mains it
is wasted, so things gets confused)

We have now adjusted, turned all sorts of things down etc etc etc.
Including reading water meters with no other water use etc etc. The
minimum this one at the lower size in the range will work at is:

Drawing 50 litres of water per hour from the mains

Sending 20 litres per hour of that water into the stormwater (until we
put the hose on it)

Yes - that sure would do horrible things to your 300 litres a day.

But my important message is - people need to have this sort of
information so they can make decisions. It does not seem to be
anywhere in teh discussions on water saving.

Linda

Old 06-01-2007, 12:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

g'day jonno,

for every plus there is a minus hey.

yes they should be compelled to install a rainwater tank sufficient to
supply the needs of their a/c that they could also use that water for
toilet would make the subsidy even better value.

but that is not the case and the subsidy system encourages minmum
imput to simply qualify for an across the board subsidy.

still comes down there is going to need to be a big rethink in our
indoctrinated thinking as to waht is needed in home design to make the
self dependent or less dependent on resources for comfort.

even though we no live in one of those inefficent macmansions (no
other alternatives available) we looked for one that on a good aspect
and oriented in a good fashion, so all we need do now to make it more
comfy is to install some passive cooling and we will be right to that
degree.

a belated happy new year to you and your family from me and my family

i gave up munging my e/m addy yonks ago found it made it difficult for
communication with little benefit gained.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

Please explain

i gave up munging my e/m addy yonks ago found it made it difficult for
communication with little benefit gained.
What form of expression is this? (puzzled look on my face)

Old 06-01-2007, 12:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

g'day linda,

water saving is a very broad subject, to some simply turning the water
off when they brush their teeth is about what they feel comfortable
with, so understandably as there will be a lot of us who don't have
a/c it realy doesn't come into the subject matter.

but on the other hand i may ask why should i be lumbered with
restrictions that don't allow me to water my waterwise vege' patch yet
another person is allowed to without regulation use water to keep
their home cool?

this is the first instance i can recall that a/c evaportive coolers
and water use have been used in the same context, but from me i will
keep the spot light on it like i try to with all other waste methods.

we have taken flak for having a swimming pool but apart from the
initial fill we are never likley to need to use town water ever again
to top it up, we have all our own water saved for that and more.