Old 08-01-2007, 04:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Using old carpet as a weed mat

I have some old carpet with felt underlay that I'm going to use as a weed
mat rather than newspaper. It looks like an old berber and as best as I can
tell is wool not synthetic. There was plenty of dust underneath it when I
pulled it up so I expect it would let water through OK. Does anybody have
any cautions or can see any reason why I shouldn't use it on the garden?

Old 08-01-2007, 10:09 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"Claude" wrote in message
I have some old carpet with felt underlay that I'm going to use as a weed
mat rather than newspaper. It looks like an old berber and as best as I
can tell is wool not synthetic. There was plenty of dust underneath it
when I pulled it up so I expect it would let water through OK. Does
anybody have any cautions or can see any reason why I shouldn't use it on
the garden?

Like all things foreign to the garden STINK but will be great as a weed mat.
Been there done that but the pong of wet carpet is not a memory I want to
recall.

Jim

Old 08-01-2007, 11:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Claude" wrote in message

I have some old carpet with felt underlay that I'm going to use as a

weed
mat rather than newspaper. It looks like an old berber and as best

as I can
tell is wool not synthetic. There was plenty of dust underneath it

when I
pulled it up so I expect it would let water through OK. Does

anybody have
any cautions or can see any reason why I shouldn't use it on the

garden?

Tehre are a few problems which may occur. The carpet may have been
mothproofed - that stuff is long term and could kill good microflora
in your garden. The carpet may look like it's all wool but often it
has synthetic fibre int eh baking and you have trouble seeing this
wihtout looking very carefully - the old patterned "Axminster" was a
good carpet to use as a weedmat but it's rare these days.

The felt underlay may be a better option but I'd try that out in a
small patch to see how it rots down as it too could ahve synthetics in
it.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

g'day claude,

not suer it is a complete weed mat, we have had nut grass and blady
grass come through it.

also as has been said the backing is likely hession or bagging that
will rot readily, but lots of the piles are synthetic so they will
persist.

the smell can be masked bu mulching heavily over the top of it as
well.

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 03:53:53 GMT, "Claude"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len