Old 09-01-2007, 11:10 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Planting now

What are you planting in the veggie garden at this point in time?

Old 09-01-2007, 12:53 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
What are you planting in the veggie garden at this point in time?

today i put in some little lettuces i haven't managed to kill yet (they
should be dead by tomorrow ;-). and some leeks shortly (as replacements * ).
i was going to put in more carrots shortly too, hopefully with spring onions
as i haven't any ordinary onion seed i am supposed to plant atm. (but my
last lot of spring onions has completely failed to come up at all, so i
don't know.) also today i planted more radish seeds and more pea seeds,
seeing as how i have turned into a pea champion overnight from my prior
status as complete pea dud. i was going to put in my celery seedlings too,
but i didn't get to that. i was going to put parsnips with them, except i
haven't looked to see if it's too late for parsnips, so i don't know about
that either. if it is, more carrots :-) and maybe some beans somewhere too.
i love beans & they've been awful so far, but are fiiiinally coming on -
which tells me to plant more of them so i can gorge myself on beans before
the first frost & thereafter go beanless until this time next year (sigh).
kylie who doesn't like shop beans because they mostly sell the round ones -
too big & tough.
* speaking of jackie french and my wrong attitude to weeds - even though i
know better, because i've done it before (sigh), that was me last week
pulling out the "grass" that was growing in the baby leek bed. OH NO.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:19 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 22:10:28 +1100, "Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow
wrote:

What are you planting in the veggie garden at this point in time?

Nothing, it's dark outside and I can't see
Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

What are you planting in the veggie garden at this point in time?

After the hot spell finishes (supposedly in time for watering day!) I have a
few more tomato seedlings to pop in (cherry varieties). I want to put in some
more sweet corn, and I have beetroot and capsicum seedlings ready to go. Will
have to wait a bit longer for the eggplant seedlings. The other thing I want
to plant is beans -- climbing as well as bush beans. I have never figured out
whether I should plant climbing beaans in spring or mid-summer for best
results, so I'm trying mid-summer.

I use this guide:
http://www.global-garden.com.au/plnttemp.htm

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 10-01-2007, 11:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

What are you planting in the veggie garden at this point in time?

today i put in some little lettuces i haven't managed to kill yet

(they
should be dead by tomorrow ;-).

No doubt the heatwave will do them in nicely - my newly planted peas
are heading the same way despite being covered.

and some leeks shortly (as replacements * ).
i was going to put in more carrots shortly too, hopefully with

spring onions
as i haven't any ordinary onion seed i am supposed to plant atm.

(but my
last lot of spring onions has completely failed to come up at all,

so i
don't know.) also today i planted more radish seeds and more pea

seeds,
seeing as how i have turned into a pea champion overnight from my

prior
status as complete pea dud. i was going to put in my celery

seedlings too,
but i didn't get to that. i was going to put parsnips with them,

except i
haven't looked to see if it's too late for parsnips,

There is still time for them to go in. I just love fresh parsnips -
so different to the ghastly things from the shps. I wouldn't mind
betting that very few people have ever really had a good fresh parsnip
given the appallling press they get.

[...]

:-))

Old 10-01-2007, 11:29 AM posted to aus.gardens

news

wrote:

What are you planting in the veggie garden at this point in time?

Nothing, it's dark outside and I can't see

??? Don't you have a torch or a hurricane lamp? There's something
rather nice about planting at night.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

What are you planting in the veggie garden at this point in time?

Potatoes in the garden.
Spring onions and radishes in hanging baskets.

I think that spuds would look rather fetching in hanging baskets.

BTW, I visited the webpage http://www.tumbleweed.com.au
I'm not really interested in more compost bins but Pet Poo Converter
http://www.tumbleweed.com.au/pages/d...?page_id=19692
interested me to the extent that I bought one.

For anybody who is interested "Worm Farm" and "Pet Poo Converter"

are
the same product and Tumbleweed are happy to fax the slightly
different operating instructions for Pet Poo type people.

I kill worms in my worm farm. Must give it another go.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:52 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
What are you planting in the veggie garden at this point in time?

tomatos, beetroot, chives, fennel, probably some more lettuce and spring
onions shortly.

rob

Old 10-01-2007, 11:52 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

What are you planting in the veggie garden at this point in time?

After the hot spell finishes (supposedly in time for watering day!)

I have a
few more tomato seedlings to pop in (cherry varieties). I want to

put in some
more sweet corn, and I have beetroot and capsicum seedlings ready to

go.

I put in a whole tray of beetroot seed this morning - dunno if they'll
be any good as the seed was rather old. I soaked then overnight so
we'll soon see.

Will
have to wait a bit longer for the eggplant seedlings.

What sort are you planting - the big purple ones or the smaller ones?

The other thing I want
to plant is beans -- climbing as well as bush beans. I have never

figured out
whether I should plant climbing beaans in spring or mid-summer for

best
results, so I'm trying mid-summer.

I've only ever been good with Scarlet Runners (and who can fail with
them?) but beans aren't a big item in this house as only one of us
will eat them.

I use this guide:
http://www.global-garden.com.au/plnttemp.htm

Interesting but it doesn't allow for variations for climate conditons.
For eg, there is no way I could plant pumpkins of any vairety now and
expect a crop before frosts.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:01 PM posted to aus.gardens

"George.com" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

What are you planting in the veggie garden at this point in time?

tomatos, beetroot, chives, fennel, probably some more lettuce and

spring
onions shortly.

IIRC, you're in NZ aren't you Rob? How are the seasonal conditions
over there, and do you still get rain there?

Old 10-01-2007, 01:10 PM posted to aus.gardens

"George.com" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

What are you planting in the veggie garden at this point in time?

tomatos, beetroot, chives, fennel, probably some more lettuce and

spring
onions shortly.

IIRC, you're in NZ aren't you Rob? How are the seasonal conditions
over there, and do you still get rain there?

unseasonably cool before christmas, 2 odd degrees down in some places and
slightly less rain in our area but the cool temperatures compensated for
that. My lawn was growing well right in to december. Things picked up slowly
after christmas but some areas had a real downpour over new years. Fine and
hot since then and just as we needed some rain (including a dryinh looking
lawn) a nice wet spell has arrived followed with showers over the next few
days. Damn humid though. Things are growing well.

rob

rob

Old 10-01-2007, 08:14 PM posted to aus.gardens

What are you planting in the veggie garden at this point in time?

Nothing. My garden is an abject failure, so I'm giving up until we buy our
own house and I can start a proper garden....I'm seriously thinking of the
straw bale idea....it would rot down nicely up here, although where I would
get that amount of stra in Cairns I am not sure....would using just sugar
cane straw do the trick ? Does anyone know? Because there's piles of
that....
I'm not sure if they bale it though. Hmmm. More research needed.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:34 PM posted to aus.gardens

in the next week or 2 we will be planting tomatoes, capsicums,
zucchini & snake beans, we now have another bed on the go so these
will be our this end of season plantings the beginning season
plantings are just about done for production.

we put our dog poop around the food trees.

and our worm farms come compost heaps are our garden beds, the worms
love it.

wrote:

What are you planting in the veggie garden at this point in time?

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And