GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [WTD][BRIS] Brown Pine, Illawarra Plum (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/152192-%5Bwtd%5D%5Bbris%5D-brown-pine-illawarra-plum.html)

nco 10-01-2007 01:11 AM

[WTD][BRIS] Brown Pine, Illawarra Plum

Hi all,

I'm in Brisbane and would like to plant some local native fruit trees. I'm
too old to wait for propagation from seed or small seedlings and these trees
require both sexes to produce fruit.
I'm looking for one male and at least four female trees of a reasonable
size.
Can anyone help me?

--
Regards,

Robert

IMPORTANT: You need to remove the text 'SPAMMER' from email address to
reply.

Chookie 10-01-2007 12:00 PM

[WTD][BRIS] Brown Pine, Illawarra Plum

In article
,
"nco" wrote:

I'm in Brisbane and would like to plant some local native fruit trees. I'm
too old to wait for propagation from seed or small seedlings and these trees
require both sexes to produce fruit.
I'm looking for one male and at least four female trees of a reasonable
size.

Often native plants grow faster from tubestock than from supposedly "advanced"
plants, so there might not be an advantage to paying for size.

For sources, try your local council, landcare group, Australian Plants Society
group and similar.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue

FlowerGirl 15-01-2007 02:18 AM

"nco" wrote in message
.
Hi all,

I'm in Brisbane and would like to plant some local native fruit trees. I'm
too old to wait for propagation from seed or small seedlings and these

trees
require both sexes to produce fruit.
I'm looking for one male and at least four female trees of a reasonable
size.
Can anyone help me?

Try the Greening Australia Nursery
http://www.greeningaustralia.org.au/GA/QLD/
They only sell tube stock, but generally tube stock will actually grow
better / more quickly than more advanced plants when planted out. I'm not
sure if they do this (and I suspect they don't) but you'll need clonally
propagated seedlings to be sure to get the male and female plants ... or it
will just be chance.

Alternatively try:
http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/bushfood/plumpine.htm They sell the plants in
140 mm pots but I'm not sure if they are clonal. They should be able to help
you.
They have other suggestions for native fruit too - like Burdekin Plum,
Tamarind, Austromyrtus etc... or Eleaocarpus.

More ideas he
http://www.cse.csiro.au/research/nat.../plumsilla.htm

HTH
Amanda

Teh Most Revernd Bishop of Willesden 05-03-2007 11:22 PM

[WTD][BRIS] Brown Pine, Illawarra Plum

FlowerGirl wrote:
"nco" wrote in message
.
..
Hi all,

I'm in Brisbane and would like to plant some local native fruit trees. I'm
too old to wait for propagation from seed or small seedlings

You're "too old"?

How old is "too old"?

Do you have a younger sister?