GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Concrete Ponds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/152259-concrete-ponds.html)

Spiny Norman 13-01-2007 08:17 AM

Concrete Ponds

A recent thread talked about sealer in a pond.

A few years ago (actually about 30 years) I made a quite servicable
pond for some ducks and geese in a back yard in Marrickville. from
memory it was a metre and a half square and a couple of feet deep. I
didn't seal it and this didn't matter becasue I used to empty it every
week or two to clean it. From memory the only reinforcing I used was
some chicken wire which might even have been plastic!.

I am now considering building a long narrow pond (perhaps even L
shaped) about a foot deep using similar techniques. but this time
sealing it using concrete sealer. Is this feasable or are there other
methods I should consider ie plastic lining. this pond will be simply
for fish and frogs the geese and ducks have long gone .

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons

[email protected] 13-01-2007 09:18 PM

Concrete Ponds

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 19:17:51 +1100, Spiny Norman wrote:

A recent thread talked about sealer in a pond.

A few years ago (actually about 30 years) I made a quite servicable
pond for some ducks and geese in a back yard in Marrickville. from
memory it was a metre and a half square and a couple of feet deep. I
didn't seal it and this didn't matter becasue I used to empty it every
week or two to clean it. From memory the only reinforcing I used was
some chicken wire which might even have been plastic!.

I am now considering building a long narrow pond (perhaps even L
shaped) about a foot deep using similar techniques. but this time
sealing it using concrete sealer. Is this feasable or are there other
methods I should consider ie plastic lining. this pond will be simply
for fish and frogs the geese and ducks have long gone .

Use a liner.

I have 2 ponds here. The front one is around 1000 litre in capacity and was constructed from
concrete in around 1970. It was always leaking. Around 20 years ago I rebuilt it using a liner. I
have not had a problem since.

My second pond is around 1500 litre in capacity and was made about 7 years ago from rendered brick
and preformed concrete. It was sealed with Silasec. The leaking problems started about 6.5 years
ago. I drained it, applied a rubberised paint on membrane and it was right for another year. Then
the ******* started leaking again!

That pond is currently empty and awaiting a liner. I will never, ever build a pond from
concrete/brick ever again!!!!!

Jonno[_6_] 13-01-2007 10:04 PM

Concrete Ponds

wrote:
[...]

If you build a pool in a clay soil you will have less problems with leaks.