GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   FYI- water crisis stroy link: (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/152507-fyi-water-crisis-stroy-link.html)

George.com 23-01-2007 01:49 PM

FYI- water crisis stroy link:

"gardenlen" wrote in message
another view point on our current situation:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinio...page=fullpage#

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Linda H 24-01-2007 01:33 AM

FYI- water crisis stroy link:

gardenlen wrote:
another view point on our current situation:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinio...page=fullpage#

Hmm, food (well, water) for thought.

gardenlen 24-01-2007 02:10 AM

FYI- water crisis stroy link:

sure is linda,

would you believe that someone on another chat said they thought we
should leave how we manage water alone as they thought we where doing
a good job the way it is????

anyhow for more thought material i have some text on the following
thread:

http://forums.permaculture.org.au/ftopic4183.php

and here's another:

http://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.a...7#post_3910 3

snipped

Jonno[_6_] 24-01-2007 03:39 AM

FYI- water crisis stroy link:

Linda H wrote:
gardenlen wrote:

another view point on our current situation:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinio...page=fullpage#

Hmm, food (well, water) for thought.

It all ties in with the sales of assets to corporations and lack of
income for states., which then they have to raise taxes from speed
cameras etc... I didnt vote for them!

George.com 24-01-2007 09:49 AM

FYI- water crisis stroy link:

"gardenlen" wrote in message
would you believe that someone on another chat said they thought we
should leave how we manage water alone as they thought we where doing
a good job the way it is????

anyhow for more thought material i have some text on the following
thread:

http://forums.permaculture.org.au/ftopic4183.php

http://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.a...7#post_3910 3

an article in our paper tonight Len reported that a survey conducted by
Bunnings found the most common concession aussies made toward water
conservation was low flush toilets and low flow shower heads.

A good start to conserving water. Another relatively easy thing to do would
be to reuse grey water down the crapper (twice over then). Even better
recycle the sewer water back through the water supply following seperation
of waste and treatment. Sort of a closed cycle process.

rob

George.com 24-01-2007 10:13 AM

FYI- water crisis stroy link:

"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day rob,

dual flushes surprisingly don't save that much water, the best saving
would be if people stopped flushing urine at all, only flush solids.

the low flow shower heads much the same, people need to work out they
they don't need as many showers as many tend to take.

yes save buckets of grye water to flush toilets will double use water
before it exits the home.

and yes for sure why not pipe that class 2 water back for use in
toilets and under control for some garden use.

maybe we are lucky here in the Waikato to have a big river flowing through
town. Treated water is released in to the river upstream by several towns
and industries and we draw on that for drinking water, as do towns
downstream and part of Auckland. That said, likely the flow of the river
dilutes the waste water to a good degree. That said, each mouthful of water
I have contains some part recycled water from upstream. No problems with it,
lovely life giving thirst quenching stuff.

rob

Jonno[_6_] 24-01-2007 10:18 AM

FYI- water crisis stroy link:

George.com wrote:
"gardenlen" wrote in message

[...]

How about the minister who was watering the garden when he shouldnt have
been..
Two rules, one for us and one for them.
Re recycling, its a bit too expensive to do so at the moment.

gardenlen 24-01-2007 10:52 AM

FYI- water crisis stroy link:

g'day rob,

dual flushes surprisingly don't save that much water, the best saving
would be if people stopped flushing urine at all, only flush solids.

the low flow shower heads much the same, people need to work out they
they don't need as many showers as many tend to take.

yes save buckets of grye water to flush toilets will double use water
before it exits the home.

and yes for sure why not pipe that class 2 water back for use in
toilets and under control for some garden use.

we have a new estate up here that has recycled water piped to it but
it is only for the use of watering gardens and lawns, tat to me is
still a waste, why can't those homes be connected for using it in
their toilets?

a lot of the stuff that bunnings sells is goverened by the gov's feel
good measures they are the industry standard measures that draw
rebates, at the end of the day they do little to encourage responsible
water use.

we still need to remember that money spent on infrastructure is
investment fro the future, so why aren't all multiple use and public
toilets retro fitted with those waterless full flush urinals? why
aren't all new toilets in that catagory required to fit them first up?

why aren't water tanks compulsory for all new homes built?

and not to foget many homes are fitted with evaporative air coolers
these units commonly use 20 litres of drinking water for every hour of
operation.

snipped

Jonno[_6_] 24-01-2007 11:34 AM

FYI- water crisis stroy link:

"day len, re 20 liters, that should read flush 20 litres and evaporate
30 for cooling.
Total of 50 liters and hour. Not good at all.
gardenlen wrote:
[...]

snipped

gardenlen 24-01-2007 07:06 PM

FYI- water crisis stroy link:

fair dinkum jonno?

that is horrendous use of sorry waste of water, 20 litres an hour was
bad enough, all this because people won't grasp the fact that our
homes are not designed to suit our climate nor are they designed to
keep people comfortable with nil or very minimal comfort control.

snipped

Jonno[_6_] 24-01-2007 11:42 PM

FYI- water crisis stroy link:

Fair Dinkum If you read back the post where I questioned the fact that
evaporative coolers don't make water like the compressor type do.
I will try and find it.
We had a proper installer I think he said he was..
I'll see if I still have it on file.

gardenlen wrote:
fair dinkum jonno?

that is horrendous use of sorry waste of water, 20 litres an hour was
bad enough, all this because people won't grasp the fact that our
homes are not designed to suit our climate nor are they designed to
keep people comfortable with nil or very minimal comfort control.

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:34:07 +1100, Jonno

snipped

Wily Wilde 24-01-2007 11:43 PM

FYI- water crisis stroy link:

We should be giving subsidies to farmers to do massive levels of water
saving irrigation techiques.

In Israel, the Israeli farmers are doing ok despite farming in an arid land
because they use new modern well designed irrigation systems.

We should also build am irrigation pipeline from the areas which recieve
plenty of water - in NT etc.. - to the parts of Australia which are drier.
It will take decades to achieve this- but if we take a non-political
partisan national approach- we will bring a great blessing to future
generations.

Wily Wilde 24-01-2007 11:47 PM

FYI- water crisis stroy link:

"Jonno" wrote in message It all ties in with
the sales of assets to corporations and lack of
income for states., which then they have to raise taxes from speed cameras
etc... I didnt vote for them!

You forget the States get the funds from the GST- including the petrol
taxes.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...83-661,00.html