Old 28-01-2007, 04:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Clear Pond Water

At last my pond water has cleared; no more algae problems.
After using the local wild oats along the back roads of the Hawkesbury the
femention has worked. A big problem since it is not filtered and has a
couple of resident Koi among other local small fish species and frogs.
I can now enjoy the fish at 15 inches below the surface plus the fery water
plants etc.
IT WORKS!!

Old 28-01-2007, 07:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

Potaroo wrote:
At last my pond water has cleared; no more algae problems.
After using the local wild oats along the back roads of the Hawkesbury the
femention has worked. A big problem since it is not filtered and has a
couple of resident Koi among other local small fish species and frogs.
I can now enjoy the fish at 15 inches below the surface plus the fery water
plants etc.
IT WORKS!!

Great it pays to have a good memory.....Thats how I remembered this
method. Never been on a farm in my life but I remember asking why the
straw bales and got the answer you needed. Beats messy and dangerous
chemicals..Why it works, not sure myself. Maybe its as you say
fermentation..........
Old 28-01-2007, 11:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

I'm sure its the fermentation Jonno, because its too much of a coincidence
that it has cleared to its fullest and the straw is now fairly mushy in the
water.
Where its staying! Don't want to go backwards from here.
Cheers, thanks for the tip. Somewhere in my memory I can recall a decade or
two back something about a farmer in the UK dropping it accidentl;y from his
tractor going over his 'pond' (pommie dam?) and leaving it there where it
cleared the blue green algae.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

BigW sells little packets of rye (or maybe oat) straw specially for
clearing ponds. Mind you, you could by a whole bale of the stuff for much
the same prices as the prettily packages 100g :-)

Old 03-02-2007, 03:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

Yes, I reckon thats what happens with modern medicine too. There are
natural products available for virtually nothing, but they choose to use
a rare chemical or chemicals or extract from the natural one to sell
expensively. Result? A large amount of people who are being suckered and
who pay too much for a product thats freely available.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno, a good example is rolled oats. I suffer from allergies, used to be
extremely itchy, rashes like mad but luckiliy of an evening and not during
the day at work. I used to place a cup of rolled oats (porridge) into an
old synthetic sock and squeeze it into the bath. Magic cure! Now since it
was disaclosed on the radio medical segment, its now available from the
Chemists, neatly packaged as a natural remedy, at a price. Go to the
supermarket for a tenth of the price.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

Re Algal blooms.
I wonder if this same method could be sued to clear algal blooms theyre
experiencing in stagnant rivers?

Old 05-02-2007, 05:35 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:
Re Algal blooms.
I wonder if this same method could be sued to clear algal blooms theyre
experiencing in stagnant rivers?

Hey yeah, good idea. I bet it would work. You should suggest it to...
um... the place where things get suggested. Yeah, there.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

Linda H wrote:
Jonno wrote:
Re Algal blooms.
I wonder if this same method could be sued to clear algal blooms
theyre experiencing in stagnant rivers?

Hey yeah, good idea. I bet it would work. You should suggest it to...
um... the place where things get suggested. Yeah, there.

You mean the suggestion box with parks and prettymadlife?

Old 05-02-2007, 08:29 AM posted to aus.gardens

I've heard that they do it somewhere, can't remember which stream though.
The concentrated processed one that was originally spoken of in this thread
has it on their web site as clearing streams. So I imagine the 'organic'
method would apply also.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:

You mean the suggestion box with parks and prettymadlife?

Yeah-yeah, HER! That's the lady I was thinkin' of - Mrs. Wild.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

Interesting. So it may be a cheaper way to fix it if it works?
There's quite a lot of "shifty" things go on with government departments
too you know....
(I bet you all realise this)

Old 05-02-2007, 11:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

Linda H wrote:
Jonno wrote:

You mean the suggestion box with parks and prettymadlife?

Yeah-yeah, HER! That's the lady I was thinkin' of - Mrs. Wild.

Hey you rock!!!
PS its life not WIFE!
God women!!