Old 30-01-2007, 11:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Frogs

A friend of mine let their pool go and consequently frogs came and laid
their eggs...There must have been 500 tadpoles! Rather than them dying by
chlorine I took the lot home in buckets.
I have fed the tadpoles goldfish flakes (which they seemed to love).
Well now 99% of them are frogs, but they've all buggered off!
I was going to ring CALM to see if I could release them at a nearby lake. I
just don't know what I've done wrong ...my babies have left home.
I'm worried about them, they were my responsibility. I realise this isn't a
garden question but if anyone has any experience with frogs please let me
know.

Linda

Old 30-01-2007, 03:00 PM posted to aus.gardens

odonata28 (Linda) wrote:
I realise this isn't a
garden question but if anyone has any experience with frogs please let me
know.

I believe frogs do that. Move when they are over crowded.

I am tahankful we jst have the one frog going bonk, bonk, bonk, bonk,
bonk, 500 would send everyone bonkers.
Old 30-01-2007, 07:12 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day linda,

might have been beter if you had put a frong pond in up the back
corner of your garden, frogs will now be looking to return to where
they came from and that is you fish tank.

now i hate to see frogs perish ie.,. in the pool environment, so maybe
you could link up to one of the frog associations i have links on our
site, and see what they recommend to do.

there are diseases associated with frogs so i could easliy say next
time tke the eggs/tadpoles and release them into the wild but then i
don't want to be spreading disease into the wild populations.

you did good just now think about incorprating a frong pond in you bag
garden, need only be a 44 gallon drum cut in 1/2 or an old bathtub.

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:58:57 +0900, "odonata28 \(Linda\)"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 30-01-2007, 09:00 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:58:57 +0900, "odonata28 \(Linda\)" wrote:

A friend of mine let their pool go and consequently frogs came and laid
their eggs...There must have been 500 tadpoles! Rather than them dying by
chlorine I took the lot home in buckets.
I have fed the tadpoles goldfish flakes (which they seemed to love).
Well now 99% of them are frogs, but they've all buggered off!
I was going to ring CALM to see if I could release them at a nearby lake. I
just don't know what I've done wrong ...my babies have left home.
I'm worried about them, they were my responsibility. I realise this isn't a
garden question but if anyone has any experience with frogs please let me
know.

Contrary to popular belief, frogs only seek water in which to breed. The rest of the time they are land dwelling creatures. Let
them do their own thing.

Old 30-01-2007, 10:47 PM posted to aus.gardens

"odonata28 (Linda)" wrote in message
A friend of mine let their pool go and consequently frogs came and laid
their eggs...There must have been 500 tadpoles! Rather than them dying by
chlorine I took the lot home in buckets.
I have fed the tadpoles goldfish flakes (which they seemed to love).
Well now 99% of them are frogs, but they've all buggered off!
I was going to ring CALM to see if I could release them at a nearby lake.
I just don't know what I've done wrong ...my babies have left home.
I'm worried about them, they were my responsibility. I realise this isn't
a garden question but if anyone has any experience with frogs please let
me know.

we have lots of different kinds of frogs - they seem to spend very little
time at the dam :-) often we dig them up or otherwise find them lurking
about in the garden (where there's no pond or anything). yours will have
buggered off to those kinds of places. they will find water again when they
need to. (of course, some will have been eaten by cats or something....)
kylie

Old 31-01-2007, 10:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message

odonata28 (Linda) wrote:
I realise this isn't a
garden question but if anyone has any experience with frogs please

let me
know.

I believe frogs do that. Move when they are over crowded.

I am tahankful we jst have the one frog going bonk, bonk, bonk,

bonk,
bonk, 500 would send everyone bonkers.

You lucky duck! I love Pobblebonk frogs! All ours seem to have
disappearred because of the drought.

Old 31-01-2007, 10:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

we have lots of different kinds of frogs - they seem to spend very

little
time at the dam :-) often we dig them up or otherwise find them

lurking
about in the garden (where there's no pond or anything). yours will

have
buggered off to those kinds of places. they will find water again

when they
need to. (of course, some will have been eaten by cats or

something....)

In the country, you'll find snakes where there are frogs. Snakes love
frogs.

Old 31-01-2007, 11:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
"0tterbot" wrote in message

we have lots of different kinds of frogs - they seem to spend

very
little
time at the dam :-) often we dig them up or otherwise find them

lurking
about in the garden (where there's no pond or anything). yours

will
have
buggered off to those kinds of places. they will find water again

when they
need to. (of course, some will have been eaten by cats or

something....)

In the country, you'll find snakes where there are frogs. Snakes

love
frogs.

Shouldnt that read frenchmen?

Nah! They only like the legs! (And I can understand why, they are
delicious).

Old 31-01-2007, 12:45 PM posted to aus.gardens

Farm1 wrote:

I am tahankful we jst have the one frog going bonk, bonk, bonk,

bonk,

bonk, 500 would send everyone bonkers.

You lucky duck! I love Pobblebonk frogs! All ours seem to have
disappearred because of the drought.

Well, we have the water from a rainwater tank that feeds a neglected
"water feature". The pump broke and we haven't replaced it, but the
float arm keeps a sunken bathtub full and there has been a resident
bonker for about 10 years. One year there were two, but otherwise just one.

Old 31-01-2007, 01:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

Terryc wrote:
Farm1 wrote:

I am tahankful we jst have the one frog going bonk, bonk, bonk,

bonk,

bonk, 500 would send everyone bonkers.

You lucky duck! I love Pobblebonk frogs! All ours seem to have
disappearred because of the drought.

Well, we have the water from a rainwater tank that feeds a neglected
"water feature". The pump broke and we haven't replaced it, but the
float arm keeps a sunken bathtub full and there has been a resident
bonker for about 10 years. One year there were two, but otherwise just one.

When there are two, do they bonk together?
Or are the just good friends.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"0tterbot" wrote in message

we have lots of different kinds of frogs - they seem to spend very

little
time at the dam :-) often we dig them up or otherwise find them

lurking
about in the garden (where there's no pond or anything). yours will

have
buggered off to those kinds of places. they will find water again

when they
need to. (of course, some will have been eaten by cats or

something....)

In the country, you'll find snakes where there are frogs. Snakes love
frogs.

we have black snakes around the place, and heaps of green tree frogs. You
can often hear a mortal battle in the rafters, between snake and frog.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:56 AM posted to aus.gardens

Linda, I have done the same only I took them out of my pond as the fish
would eat them. I am feeding mine frozen endive (lettuce varieties). Did
you also know that taddies have teeth; they loose them when they turn to
frogs. When they get their arms ;-) and legs I stick them near the pond.
The only time they go in is for calling the cow frogs. Well if he's a bull
frog I suspect she is the cow frog ;-)
I am hoping I will be able to hear a choir soon, its going to better than
listening to just one.
Cheers, keep frioggin'

Old 01-02-2007, 01:33 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
"0tterbot" wrote in message

we have lots of different kinds of frogs - they seem to spend

very
little
time at the dam :-) often we dig them up or otherwise find them
lurking
about in the garden (where there's no pond or anything). yours

will
have
buggered off to those kinds of places. they will find water again
when they
need to. (of course, some will have been eaten by cats or
something....)

In the country, you'll find snakes where there are frogs. Snakes

love
frogs.

Shouldnt that read frenchmen?

Nah! They only like the legs! (And I can understand why, they are
delicious).

I couldn't, not now (eat frog legs I mean).
I once had frog legs when I was in Bali it tasted just like chicken (when I
was just a slip of a girl of 19)
I've had nightmares about it ever since!
I so regret doing it... so little for such a loss of life :-(
Must save more frogs and repent! x 100

Linda

Old 01-02-2007, 10:54 PM posted to aus.gardens

"odonata28 (Linda)" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

Nah! They only like the legs! (And I can understand why, they

are
delicious).

I couldn't, not now (eat frog legs I mean).
I once had frog legs when I was in Bali it tasted just like chicken

(when I
was just a slip of a girl of 19)
I've had nightmares about it ever since!
I so regret doing it... so little for such a loss of life :-(
Must save more frogs and repent! x 100

Are you a vegetarian? If not, how do you cope with eating any form of
meat?

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 10:24 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 05:20 AM