Old 01-02-2007, 04:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default laying underground pipes for watering

hello,

has anyone else done this? installed a system of underground pipes for your
garden watering needs?

i'm thinking of doing something similar using old pvc pipes, porous "skin"
pipes connected to a water tank.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Wily Wilde" wrote in message

has anyone else done this? installed a system of underground pipes

for your
garden watering needs?

We have underground pipes all over the place to meet our garden
watering needs.

i'm thinking of doing something similar using old pvc pipes, porous

"skin"
pipes connected to a water tank.

I'm not sure what you really mean. The porous or leaky hoses wouldn't
be fitted directly onto a water tank surely???

Old 01-02-2007, 07:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message i'm thinking of doing
something similar using old pvc pipes, porous
"skin"
pipes connected to a water tank.

I'm not sure what you really mean. The porous or leaky hoses wouldn't
be fitted directly onto a water tank surely???

No, the porous "skin" pipes that sweat water will be laid in the flower
beds - and to water them- they simply sweat. Its not a good idea??

Old 01-02-2007, 11:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

Wily Wilde wrote:

No, the porous "skin" pipes that sweat water will be laid in the flower
beds - and to water them- they simply sweat. Its not a good idea??

If you are running them from a tank, they will probably not pass enough
water to be of any use.. Work okay on town pressure. YMMV.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:56 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Wily Wilde" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message i'm thinking

of doing
something similar using old pvc pipes, porous
"skin"
pipes connected to a water tank.

I'm not sure what you really mean. The porous or leaky hoses

wouldn't
be fitted directly onto a water tank surely???

No, the porous "skin" pipes that sweat water will be laid in the

flower
beds - and to water them- they simply sweat. Its not a good idea??

My experience of these is that they don't work well - one end is
always quite wet (the end nearest the water source) and the other end
is too dry.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

My experience too. Standard town supply water can not get water to the
other end of a 20m "leaky: hose, unless it runs down hill - any upward slope
past about 10m and the water won't get over it. I've converted my whole
garden (including veggies to the dripper line from Bunning's - works a
treat. With battery operated solenoid as Rod mentions and after a bit of
experimentation watering becomes a breeze. For somewhere to start, I found
at this time of year because they have shallow roots and fairly high water
demand the veggies do best with 2 lots of 15min per day - 4am and 4 pm.
Longer watering wastes water as it goes too deep. When I had sprinklers, I
needed at least 30min in the morning and another 10 - 15min at night. $80 l
or more per bed with sprinklers, as opposed to about 30l with drippers.
Pea straw or sugar cane mulch also helps. Citrus trees get 1 hour per week.

Happy gardening,
Geoff

"Wily Wilde" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message i'm thinking

of doing
something similar using old pvc pipes, porous
"skin"
pipes connected to a water tank.

I'm not sure what you really mean. The porous or leaky hoses

wouldn't
be fitted directly onto a water tank surely???

No, the porous "skin" pipes that sweat water will be laid in the

flower
beds - and to water them- they simply sweat. Its not a good idea??

My experience of these is that they don't work well - one end is
always quite wet (the end nearest the water source) and the other end
is too dry.

Underground watering spikes? Gas Bag Gardening 11 23-04-2008 08:32 AM
Underground watering spikes? Gas Bag Australia 11 23-04-2008 08:32 AM
Laying Turf - Need to rotavate or just feed topsoil before laying pzboyz United Kingdom 1 03-06-2005 08:39 AM
Frozen Pipes? BenignVanilla Ponds 4 05-02-2003 11:40 PM
Contigency Pipes for a Stream BenignVanilla Ponds 4 02-02-2003 01:53 AM