Old 10-02-2007, 03:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Default Fragipani cuttings

G'day Pete

Now, I'm not an expert in this field, but had been planning to do
similar to you and asked the same questions some time ago.

The info I was given was to take cuttings when the new shoots (appearing
like red claws) at the tips of branches approx Aug to Sept, then lay
these cuttings on the ground until they heal on the cut surface, then
plant into damp, sharp sand and finally plant out when they have
sufficient roots to sustain the new plant. I was also told they do
really well in pots, although the pot will need to be upsized every year
or so, unless you plan to heavily prune the tree to keep the same pot.

Unfortunately I missed the opportunity to get the cuttings I was chasing
(deep pink) in Aug-Sept, but bought some seedlings on eBay of unknown
colour, then later found a deep red on eBay. These are all in pots at
the moment and approx 600mm high, but once they bloom and I can see
their colour then they will be planted in the garden.

They are a 'beautiful' flower and perfume, aren't they? Just divine in
the evenings.

Hope this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)

Peter wrote:
Hia folks im new to these woods, just wondering if anyone knows how to
take cuttings from a fragipani and if its difficult/Possible

the house we rent is being sold and we have this beautifull pink and
yellow one id realy like to keep a bit for later on when we get a place
of our own so i guess i need to knwo if they would like to be in a pot
as well

Cheers Folks
Pete

Old 10-02-2007, 04:16 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Would be worth a try!! specially if it's a colour you really wanted.
In the end, I couldn't get access to the pink I was chasing because the
owner had these warped ideas I was going to sell trees propagated from
the cuttings and was guarding these profusely.......hence the reason I
resorted to eBay. Previously she had given permission but would only
allow cuttings to be taken in Aug-Sept and due to illness I missed this
timeslot, so had to wait another year.....then the funny business started.

Funny part is, the tree is along a side boundary and when I drove passed
a few days ago it's now hanging over the fence, so technically, no
permission needed, but I wanted to do the right thing by her and had
even made her a small gift in appreciation of two pink cuttings. Some
people!!! LOL

Good luck with your cuttings. Take a photo of your tree, just in case
the cuttings don't make it and keep in touch, because who knows what
colours the seedlings I bought on eBay will be, the expensive one
'should' be deep red because that's why I paid all the $$$'s.

Bronwyn ;-)

Peter wrote:
HC wrote:

[...]

Akkkk September ..... most likely senario is that we will be out of here
by april but ours does have some of the claw type ends on so i might
have a go anyways Cheers

Old 10-02-2007, 06:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

Edited

Good luck with your cuttings. Take a photo of your tree, just in case
the cuttings don't make it and keep in touch, because who knows what
colours the seedlings I bought on eBay will be, the expensive one
'should' be deep red because that's why I paid all the $$$'s.

thats a really good idea i might just do that

They are a 'beautiful' flower and perfume, aren't they? Just divine
in the evenings.

i got to say i am not too enamoured with the tree its self but the
Flowers are great, especialy with my pond benath it, when the fall inot
the water they look great

Cheers

Old 10-02-2007, 07:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

Hi Pete....technically do everything Bronwyn said. However I'm Fangipanni
mad, and have an embarrassing (to family and friends) tendancy to hack bits
off vulnerable frangipannis (not from people's gardens of course) at any
time. I let them dry out, whack into some well drained potting mix and
voila! Of course, you'd have a higher chance of the thing surviving if you
did it properly, but I believe the most important bit is to let it dry
out/callous over for a week or two first, then make sure it's not
waterlogged. Our Big W also had some recently, Darwin Sunrise being the one
I bought, as it's a lovely deep red with yellow centre and slightly ruffled
petals...might be worth a look!

Edited

Old 10-02-2007, 09:52 AM posted to aus.gardens

thanks meeee
mine has pink and white petals with a yellowish core in them

I took 4 cuttings and have em out in the sun now . hope it works
Cheers
pete
meeee wrote:
Hi Pete....technically do everything Bronwyn said. However I'm Fangipanni
mad, and have an embarrassing (to family and friends) tendancy to hack bits
off vulnerable frangipannis (not from people's gardens of course) at any
time. I let them dry out, whack into some well drained potting mix and
voila! Of course, you'd have a higher chance of the thing surviving if you
did it properly, but I believe the most important bit is to let it dry
out/callous over for a week or two first, then make sure it's not
waterlogged. Our Big W also had some recently, Darwin Sunrise being the one
I bought, as it's a lovely deep red with yellow centre and slightly ruffled
petals...might be worth a look!

Edited

Old 10-02-2007, 10:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

meeee wrote:
Hi Pete....technically do everything Bronwyn said. However I'm Fangipanni
mad, and have an embarrassing (to family and friends) tendancy to hack
bits off vulnerable frangipannis (not from people's gardens of course) at
any time. I let them dry out, whack into some well drained potting mix
and voila! Of course, you'd have a higher chance of the thing surviving
if you did it properly, but I believe the most important bit is to let it
dry out/callous over for a week or two first, then make sure it's not
waterlogged. Our Big W also had some recently, Darwin Sunrise being the
one I bought, as it's a lovely deep red with yellow centre and slightly
ruffled petals...might be worth a look!

"Peter" wrote in message
Edited
Good luck with your cuttings. Take a photo of your tree, just in case
the cuttings don't make it and keep in touch, because who knows what
colours the seedlings I bought on eBay will be, the expensive one
'should' be deep red because that's why I paid all the $$$'s.
thats a really good idea i might just do that
They are a 'beautiful' flower and perfume, aren't they? Just divine
in the evenings.
i got to say i am not too enamoured with the tree its self but the
Flowers are great, especialy with my pond benath it, when the fall inot
the water they look great

Cheers

I used to do the drying of the stems but found I lost a few. Someone told me
to wrap them in newspaper and dunk them in a bucket of water. 100% success
and better root systems. This is better for pinks and reds as they seem to
have a different sort of stem to the whites and tricolours that grow in the
temperate zones.

Anyways my 2 bobs worth.

Cheers

Richard

Old 10-02-2007, 07:09 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day pete,

looks like you have plenty of respoinses but here's mine as well hey?

cut off some suitable matterila for cuttings which pretty much means
any small branch section.

break away all leaves, and stand the cuttings cut end down in the
morning sun for a couple or so weeks, then stick into a pot of mix
water in and don't let it dry right out but don't overwater, this time
of the year they should come away pretty quickly.

i've seen sections take root readily under the leaves around the
bottom of the tree's.

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 11:28:24 +0800, Peter wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 11-02-2007, 02:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

Peter writes:
Akkkk September ..... most likely senario is that we will be out of here
by april but ours does have some of the claw type ends on so i might
have a go anyways Cheers

Now is as good a time as any. Snip all but the stem of each leaf off, but
leave the tiny ones at the tip. Give the cutting a week lying on a brick in
a light spot to dry then plant in a dry spot in the garden, e.g., under the
eeves of the house, where even a fortnight of rain (yep, I'm dreaming!) will
not affect them much. Then forget about them for 10 months. Don't water them
or you'll make them rot. Just forget about them. A sheltered spot that gets
morning sun and no direct afternoon sun seems perfect.

Your biggest problem will be causing them to rot by well-meaning TLC.
Plant em then forget about em. (I think I've already said that, but it's
worth saying it again.) They like well drained sandy soil.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:29 AM posted to aus.gardens

Peter wrote:
Hia folks im new to these woods, just wondering if anyone knows how to
take cuttings from a fragipani and if its difficult/Possible

the house we rent is being sold and we have this beautifull pink and
yellow one id realy like to keep a bit for later on when we get a place
of our own so i guess i need to knwo if they would like to be in a pot
as well

Cheers Folks
Pete

thanks a lot Folks, i will try a bit from everyone's book i reckon
i didn't think to cut the leaves Off and standing them upright seems
like a good idea too

will cut a few more and try the newspaper idea as well

cheers to all who answered
Old 11-02-2007, 10:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

ahh lovely Send me a cutting if they work! Just kidding; hope it works
for you. I might suggest putting them in the shade to dry out though, sun
might be a bit harsh at this time of year.

meeee wrote:
Hi Pete....technically do everything Bronwyn said. However I'm Fangipanni
mad, and have an embarrassing (to family and friends) tendancy to hack
bits off vulnerable frangipannis (not from people's gardens of course) at
any time. I let them dry out, whack into some well drained potting mix
and voila! Of course, you'd have a higher chance of the thing surviving
if you did it properly, but I believe the most important bit is to let it
dry out/callous over for a week or two first, then make sure it's not
waterlogged. Our Big W also had some recently, Darwin Sunrise being the
one I bought, as it's a lovely deep red with yellow centre and slightly
ruffled petals...might be worth a look!

Edited

Old 11-02-2007, 10:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

meeee wrote:
Hi Pete....technically do everything Bronwyn said. However I'm
Fangipanni mad, and have an embarrassing (to family and friends)
tendancy to hack bits off vulnerable frangipannis (not from people's
gardens of course) at any time. I let them dry out, whack into some well
drained potting mix and voila! Of course, you'd have a higher chance of
the thing surviving if you did it properly, but I believe the most
important bit is to let it dry out/callous over for a week or two first,
then make sure it's not waterlogged. Our Big W also had some recently,
Darwin Sunrise being the one I bought, as it's a lovely deep red with
yellow centre and slightly ruffled petals...might be worth a look!

"Peter" wrote in message
Edited
[...]

Thanks for this! I've had trouble with the pinks and reds as well, so this
will be worth a try.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:43 PM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

G'day Richard

Thanks for that info....seems if I 'had' been able to get the pink
cuttings I might have stuffed up anyway!! LOL

How long do you dunk them in the bucket of water? Just until the
newspaper is saturated? and how long until you plant them?

Had noticed a lovely deep black/red on eBay but wasn't online when the
auction closed.

Bronwyn ;-)

meeee wrote:

Hi Pete....technically do everything Bronwyn said. However I'm Fangipanni
mad, and have an embarrassing (to family and friends) tendancy to hack
bits off vulnerable frangipannis (not from people's gardens of course) at
any time. I let them dry out, whack into some well drained potting mix
and voila! Of course, you'd have a higher chance of the thing surviving
if you did it properly, but I believe the most important bit is to let it
dry out/callous over for a week or two first, then make sure it's not
waterlogged. Our Big W also had some recently, Darwin Sunrise being the
one I bought, as it's a lovely deep red with yellow centre and slightly
ruffled petals...might be worth a look!

Edited

Old 12-02-2007, 11:38 AM posted to aus.gardens

meeee wrote:

Hi Pete....technically do everything Bronwyn said. However I'm
Fangipanni mad, and have an embarrassing (to family and friends)
tendancy to hack bits off vulnerable frangipannis (not from people's
gardens of course) at any time. I let them dry out, whack into some well
drained potting mix and voila! Of course, you'd have a higher chance of
the thing surviving if you did it properly, but I believe the most
important bit is to let it dry out/callous over for a week or two first,
then make sure it's not waterlogged. Our Big W also had some recently,
Darwin Sunrise being the one I bought, as it's a lovely deep red with
yellow centre and slightly ruffled petals...might be worth a look!

"Peter" wrote in message

Edited

[...]

I tried it with white frangapani cuttings a friend dropped around. I had six
of them I think and they had leaves on. Anyways I just wrapped some
newspaper around them and an elastic band around the top and bottom. I
checked about 2 months later. Water was nice a green and the mosquitos were
loving it. The newspaper stopped any green slime and all had roots.

I just transferred these to pots and carefully added soil so as to not do to
much damage to the roots.

I like this method because when you dry them they tend to shrivel in the
stem. This way in the water the stems seemed to be as big as I started with.

Give it a go you have nothing to lose. Experiment with white first as it
seems to be as common as mud.

Cheers

Richard

Rock elm cuttings no go, but sour cherry cuttings are going [email protected] Plant Science 0 15-08-2008 07:15 AM
[IBC] Suckers as cuttings Neal Ross Bonsai 2 13-02-2003 02:55 AM
succulent cuttings Iris Cohen Gardening 1 10-02-2003 09:25 AM
cactus cuttings flavrcntry Gardening 2 09-02-2003 03:36 PM
Cuttings, and trading roses Suzanne in CA Roses 3 09-02-2003 08:01 AM