Old 14-02-2007, 08:00 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Worms

Thanx a lot I go down there every two weeks or so to buy "stuff" for my
renovation

"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day rooboy,

here is a new supplier in the sunshine coast area have a look they may
ship to you they sell complete farms as wella s wroms:

http://www.wormsdownunder.com.au/

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:08:05 +1000, "RooBoy"
wrote:

Anyone know where I can get Mail Order Worms, no its not a joke

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Old 12-05-2007, 02:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:59:11 +1000, "RooBoy"
wrote in aus.gardens:

Yep I apprecaite that, I am more looking to put worms into my garden beds
and maybe compost too

As I understand it the worms sold for worm farms will not survive in
the garden they are particular type of worm not your average earthworm

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons
Old 12-05-2007, 08:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in aus.gardens:

Yep I apprecaite that, I am more looking to put worms into my garden beds
and maybe compost too

As I understand it the worms sold for worm farms will not survive in
the garden they are particular type of worm not your average earthworm

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons

here you go,,,
http://www.thewormman.com/

http://kizanworms.com/kizanshop/index.php

http://www.naturalstrategies.com.au/...FRHuYAodWmIP7w

http://www.wormfarmingsecrets.com/2/

Old 12-05-2007, 07:23 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day spiny norman,

that is not quiet true, they are a different worm to the effect they
work in a gathered clump unlike normal garden worms that seem to be
more individual.

but yes they will thrive in the garden (to a worm so long as there is
food they won't know the difference between a garden bed and a worm
farm), so to keep them thriving you put your kitchen scraps in the
garden bed (best place for them) and use green mulches that break
down, and they will thrive happily on.

actually with all that extra space they probably prolificate even
more.

On Sat, 12 May 2007 11:57:56 +1000, Spiny Norman
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

Old 12-05-2007, 11:18 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in aus.gardens:

Yep I apprecaite that, I am more looking to put worms into my garden beds
and maybe compost too

As I understand it the worms sold for worm farms will not survive in
the garden they are particular type of worm

not your average earthworm

Upper class worms ?
Now Ive heard everything.

Old 13-05-2007, 09:35 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in aus.gardens:

Yep I apprecaite that, I am more looking to put worms into my garden
beds
and maybe compost too

As I understand it the worms sold for worm farms will not survive in
the garden they are particular type of worm

not your average earthworm

The worm used in compost heaps is usually Eisinia fetida 0ften caslled a
manure worm or a brandling or a red wriggler) and it is different to the
type of worm that we mostly see in the garden. IIRC, the worm which most of
us would call the common old garden earthworm, is an introduced worm.

Old 13-05-2007, 11:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:

wrote in aus.gardens:

Yep I apprecaite that, I am more looking to put worms into my garden
beds
and maybe compost too

As I understand it the worms sold for worm farms will not survive in
the garden they are particular type of worm

not your average earthworm

The worm used in compost heaps is usually Eisinia fetida 0ften caslled a
manure worm or a brandling or a red wriggler) and it is different to the
type of worm that we mostly see in the garden. IIRC, the worm which most of
us would call the common old garden earthworm, is an introduced worm.

Crikey, an introduced worm. How formal are worms then?
Common as muck ? the others and if intorduced do they say "ow do u do?"
Old 13-05-2007, 11:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:

wrote in aus.gardens:

Yep I apprecaite that, I am more looking to put worms into my garden
beds
and maybe compost too

As I understand it the worms sold for worm farms will not survive in
the garden they are particular type of worm

not your average earthworm

The worm used in compost heaps is usually Eisinia fetida 0ften caslled a
manure worm or a brandling or a red wriggler) and it is different to the
type of worm that we mostly see in the garden. IIRC, the worm which most of
us would call the common old garden earthworm, is an introduced worm.

Manure worms should be common as muck.
And if introduced, do they say "Ow do u do?"
Old 13-05-2007, 12:00 PM posted to aus.gardens

I agree Len, I introduced 500 compost worms (who counted them I don't know)
to my earth bottomed worm farm (alis food scrap bin) - now they are all
through the garden - especially where I bury half rotted compost, sugar cane
mulch, or slimey green lawn clippings. Interestingly, it the local bigger
worms that don't like the rich trappings of the food scrap bin. They also
seem to be a bit more delicate - I found that handling them even just
putting a shovel full of earth containing worms into a bucket seems to kill
them - heaven knows why ?

Geoff

"len garden" wrote in message
news
g'day spiny norman,

that is not quiet true, they are a different worm to the effect they
work in a gathered clump unlike normal garden worms that seem to be
more individual.

but yes they will thrive in the garden (to a worm so long as there is
food they won't know the difference between a garden bed and a worm
farm), so to keep them thriving you put your kitchen scraps in the
garden bed (best place for them) and use green mulches that break
down, and they will thrive happily on.

actually with all that extra space they probably prolificate even
more.

On Sat, 12 May 2007 11:57:56 +1000, Spiny Norman

snipped

Old 13-05-2007, 07:57 PM posted to aus.gardens

interesting geoff,

never observed that problem before maybe it si the species of wrom
that you have there? might be a good question you can trow to the
museum people or the local appropriate university dept'? they can all
be very helpfull in these situations.

but yes we reckon the compost worms always find the food scraps sooner
that the common garden worms do, and having your worm farm in the
garden delivers all that wee, and castings right where you want it.

the only anomily we ever had was many moons ago when we had a
paricularly wet summer (caused by stuff falling outa the sky?) the
compost worms found the gardens too wet so they climbed up the walls
of the house and huddles in clumps on the window sills.

snipped

Old 16-05-2007, 11:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

Len,
When we first moved in here I had a few compost worms in a plastic worm
farm, but thought the masses of large local worms might be more productive,
so as I dug the garden over I started dropping them in a bucket containing
soil from the garden, by the time I tipped them into my little worm farm,
they were all dead !!

My real compost worms also climb up the walls of their home when it gets too
wet. They also disappear towards the end of summer as it gets too hot -
that's when I dig all the goodies out of the farm (which is just a 1m x1m
x1m brick compost bin with an insulated front door and roof).
Cheers,
Geoff

"len garden" wrote in message
interesting geoff,

never observed that problem before maybe it si the species of wrom
that you have there? might be a good question you can trow to the
museum people or the local appropriate university dept'? they can all
be very helpfull in these situations.

but yes we reckon the compost worms always find the food scraps sooner
that the common garden worms do, and having your worm farm in the
garden delivers all that wee, and castings right where you want it.

the only anomily we ever had was many moons ago when we had a
paricularly wet summer (caused by stuff falling outa the sky?) the
compost worms found the gardens too wet so they climbed up the walls
of the house and huddles in clumps on the window sills.

On Sun, 13 May 2007 21:00:13 +1000, "Geoff & Heather"
snipped