Old 14-02-2007, 10:20 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Distressed cordylines & flax

Hi
I have distressed cordylines & flax, they are watered there 2 days a week &
are mulched, so why are there leaves browning & some of the smaller ones
look like there dying.
I should mention I am in Perth WA, as well I have noticed that mine aren't
the only ones doing it.
cheers
Sandra

Old 14-02-2007, 09:44 PM posted to aus.gardens
GOW GOW is offline

"Sandra Bodycoat" wrote in message
Hi
I have distressed cordylines & flax, they are watered there 2 days a week
& are mulched, so why are there leaves browning & some of the smaller ones
look like there dying.
I should mention I am in Perth WA, as well I have noticed that mine aren't
the only ones doing it.
cheers
Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Given that gardening here on pure sand eliminates drainage as the problem so
my first guess is water and or nutrient stress.
Give them a good dose of granular wetting agent, some slow release
fertiliser and a big drink. Make sure your normal watering is not just
wetting the mulch as often happens when sprays are used instead of drippers
(everything looks wet but there isn't much actually soaking down to the
plant roots).
Related to this also is that our sandy soil has almost zero nutrient content
and the organic mulches we use drag out whatever nitrogen there was as they
breakdown so you plants may simply be starving, the slow release feed will
fix this.

Second guess would be sunburn if they are new plants. Nurseries raise a lot
of plants under cover so that they look fantastic and lush in the shop but
when we get them home and plant into full WA sun they burn until they harden
up. I think that keeping the water and food up to them as above will get
them through this stage as well.

Lastly I would guess that it is due to daylight saving which seems to be the
cause of all ills in WA society. Maybe they are just pooped by having to
cope with the extra hour of sunshine so they should recover when we turn the
clocks back. ;-)

Good luck, they are tuff plants once established so I am sure yours will
come good.

Cheers Col

Old 15-02-2007, 10:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

Thanks, for all your words, I will have to feed them more.
cheers
Sandra
"GOW" wrote in message

[...]

Distressed Goldfish Bill Oertell Ponds 17 07-12-2004 04:36 AM
Distressed Goldfish Bill Oertell Ponds 0 30-11-2004 05:18 AM
Distressed Goldfish Bill Oertell Ponds 0 30-11-2004 05:18 AM
Fertilizing distressed St Augustine Tom Harris Gardening 1 09-04-2004 03:02 AM
found abandoned distressed snake plant - help. occupant Gardening 2 14-10-2003 01:12 PM