Old 14-02-2007, 10:29 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default 'Sticky' Hoyas

For the last ten years, I have had two hoyas (a pink & a purple) growing
in pots in a 'gardenarium' window in my bathroom (i.e.one with recessed
shelves). They are prolific foliage growers, with leafy tendrils
climbing all over the walls, and the pink one flowers regularly.
Recently, the leaves on both have become 'sticky', to the point that
sticky residues are deposited on the glass of the shelves (which
attracts ants). Apart from that, they both seem to be completely healthy.

What, if anything, should I be doing ? I wondered about a white oil
spray or detergent spray ?
--
Anne Chambers,
South Australia

(de-lurking)
Old 14-02-2007, 06:52 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day anne,

is there a balck colouration associated with this stickyness?

if so then it could be sooty mould caused by the sugary secretion from
scale and mealy bug.

if it is one of the above then look for ants as they have a symbiotic
relationship with those bugs, so you need to deal with the ants first
then dose the plants with white oil after the heat of the sun, you can
make a home made version of white oil see the recipe on our remedies
page.

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 20:59:24 +1030, Anne Chambers
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 14-02-2007, 10:37 PM posted to aus.gardens

gardenlen wrote:

g'day anne,

is there a balck colouration associated with this stickyness?

if so then it could be sooty mould caused by the sugary secretion from
scale and mealy bug.

if it is one of the above then look for ants as they have a symbiotic
relationship with those bugs, so you need to deal with the ants first
then dose the plants with white oil after the heat of the sun, you can
make a home made version of white oil see the recipe on our remedies
page.

Thanks Len - there's no black colouration, just the stickiness, and ants
are a problem. I'll try white oil.

Old 15-02-2007, 06:24 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day anne,

do the hard bit first that is move the ants on or the other problem
will just keep reoccuring.

Hoyas Doll is Mine Gardening 5 27-03-2005 02:19 AM
yellow sticky strips for thrips? Bette Noir Gardening 0 15-01-2004 10:02 AM
A new bush in the family, the continuing saga of "Sticky pot" syndrome madgarder Gardening 0 14-04-2003 06:08 PM
Sticky pot syndrome madgarder Gardening 10 07-04-2003 06:32 PM
Sticky Substance David Jewell Orchids 2 27-03-2003 12:08 AM