Old 16-02-2007, 04:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default How was your summer?

I am unhappy wiht my tomato results. Hardly a tomato from any of my plants.
The three that I have eaten so far were nice, but that's not much of a crop
from 7 plants!

And my beans have all been strange. Usually you get a big flush of beans,
then more later on. I've only been getting one harvest per plant. Just lack
of water, I think.

Did my autumn planting into punnets today...

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 16-02-2007, 04:12 PM posted to aus.gardens
MG MG is offline

all my tomato plants have died off in the past 2 weeks, despite once a week
deep watering, mulch, etc

only got 3 smallish tomatoes

stoopid weather

"Chookie" wrote in message
I am unhappy wiht my tomato results. Hardly a tomato from any of my
plants.
The three that I have eaten so far were nice, but that's not much of a
crop
from 7 plants!

And my beans have all been strange. Usually you get a big flush of beans,
then more later on. I've only been getting one harvest per plant. Just
lack
of water, I think.

Did my autumn planting into punnets today...

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Parenthood is like the modern stone washing process for denim jeans. You
may
Kerry Cue

Old 16-02-2007, 06:35 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day chookie,

not that i ahd a real lot in but the tomatoes we had in in did very
good we planted ox heart and some volunteers, the snake beans planted
sometime ago are still producing well they are always reliable, the
volunteer cucumber did great.

got new seedlings in now and though only planted for a couple of weeks
or so we ahve picked fruit from the zucchinis already, and the corn is
a couple of feet high plus the new ox hearts are beginning to flower,
nothing flash from the capsicums as yet but they are doing ok.

we manage to keep beds moist enough using grey water and lots of
mulch, plus we reckon the mushroom compost is the way to go it has
good moisture retention.

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:16:36 +1100, Chookie
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 16-02-2007, 11:05 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"Chookie" wrote in message
I am unhappy wiht my tomato results. Hardly a tomato from any of my
plants.
The three that I have eaten so far were nice, but that's not much of a
crop
from 7 plants!

And my beans have all been strange. Usually you get a big flush of beans,
then more later on. I've only been getting one harvest per plant. Just
lack
of water, I think.

Did my autumn planting into punnets today...

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Parenthood is like the modern stone washing process for denim jeans. You
may
Kerry Cue

Sorry Chookie heaps of tomatos for us & the ants (they loved em). Chillies
well, will be making sauce today, be able to double/triple the amount of
chillies in the recipe.
Jim

Old 17-02-2007, 01:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message
I am unhappy wiht my tomato results. Hardly a tomato from any of my
plants.
The three that I have eaten so far were nice, but that's not much of a
crop
from 7 plants!

And my beans have all been strange. Usually you get a big flush of beans,
then more later on. I've only been getting one harvest per plant. Just
lack
of water, I think.

i've been unhappy with my toms and beans too! but different reasons i think.
the tomatoes are still VERY short, although there's lots of fruit (small) -
just not ripe yet. the main trouble i'm having is something eating them as
soon as they're almost ready :-) the humans have only had about 4. i expect
a big flush in the next few weeks - i netted most of them -, & that will be
my crop. :-( i have SO many plants, i wanted to bottle as many as possible
but i don't think there'll be many in the end, and only small too. we'll
see!

my beans are mostly just tragic. i think it's partly that the weather (here)
was too cool for too long, & some of them have a mineral deficiency i think
due to my practically-virgin clay soil - they just look weird and wrong.
those which are good are really coming on now, but there'll be frost again
in a month. sigh. i planted more the other day in defiance g

peas have been good (which surprised me) & most of my stuff has gone much
better than i expected, but it's been quite a battle i must say. most of my
stuff is coming out too small. i expect next season & every thereafter to be
much better. (provided i can keep the wallabies at bay ;-) considering my
awful soil, the carrots are pretty good now!! albeit a little weirdly shaped
;-)

Did my autumn planting into punnets today...

heavens, you're organised. must get to that!!
kylie

Old 17-02-2007, 05:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Feb 16, 2:16 pm, Chookie wrote:
I am unhappy wiht my tomato results. Hardly a tomato from any of my plants.
The three that I have eaten so far were nice, but that's not much of a crop
from 7 plants!

I have more tomatoes than you can shake a stick at. Sadly, due to a
little disaster with labels most are cherry not the range that i had
intended. Very tasty but sooooo tedious to preserve or cook with.

And my beans have all been strange. Usually you get a big flush of beans,
then more later on. I've only been getting one harvest per plant. Just lack
of water, I think.

I grew the diggers green/purple stripey ones. Very tasty and tender,
good crop and cute!

I grew okra for the first time - interesting and very pretty habit and
flowers. SWMBO wants them in the flower garden next year.

The sweet corn worked this year (yum!) after last year being very
chewy.

Chillis and eggplant are powering on in the heat.

Asparagus has proved very hardy under the circumstances, having failed
in year #1. The trick turned out to be, plant out the seedlings at
the end of Summer (not in Spring) so they don't fry. They get their
roots going before winter dormancy and then they are ready to benefit
from deep watering the following spring/summer. Then they don't care
how hot it gets.

On the whole I was pleased (this being only the second summer here)
but the heat baked and killed several things and sent others bolting
before their time, despite plenty of water. Successive plantings
don't work if you cannot get seedlings to establish for weeks on end.

Why is that the time that you want to eat lettuce does not agree with
when you can grow it? Must speak to the Powers That Be about fixing
up the climate. A serious issue.

Before you report me for illegal watering, I have an irrigation
license and a dam.

David

Old 19-02-2007, 05:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Stuart Naylor" wrote in message

On 16 Feb 2007 20:30:12 -0800, wrote:

Before you report me for illegal watering, I have an irrigation
license and a dam.

That sounds fair enough to me.

In Victoria we can water our gardens with a bucket anytime if we fill
our bucket from a tap.

I installed a brass tap at the end of my garden hose, so with
extension hoses I could probably water the whole neighbourhood.

Not in Melbourne. Trigger nozzels, odd numbered houses Wed and Sun 6-8am
and
8-10pm, even numbered houses Tues and Sat same times, manual dripper
systems
the same restrictions, automatic drippers midnight to 4am same odds and
evens as hand held. These are the only methods, you cannot use
buckets/watering cans out side the above days or hours.

http://www.melbournewater.com.au/con...storages.asp#2

I stand corrected, thanks for posting the URL.

I was aware of most of our restictions but I wrongly thought I could
use a bucket or watering can anytime, so you've saved me from
embarrassment if I'd been caught and also possibly a fine.
--

Stuart

It used to be you could bucket water on the off days once upon a time but
they changed it for the current state-of-affairs.

We probably won't have to worry about it for too much longer as stage 4
restrictions (NO watering of gardens except with grey water) are mooted to
start around May this year or when the storages drop to ~28%.

:-(

Old 19-02-2007, 08:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

Stuart Naylor wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thank you O' Cheerful One. :-)

Looks like then I'll need to replace the brass tap with a shower rose
and fit the hose to a tap connected to the hot water service.

Then I'll need to buy a movable stand and a shower curtain to try and
avoid having neighbours peering over fences and possibly falling off
ladders at shower time.

Would that be standing on ladders, falling off laughing?
That would certainly be case for most of us not in our prime!
Old 19-02-2007, 07:49 PM posted to aus.gardens

Stuart Naylor wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I feel that i'm still in my prime but that I have children and
grandchildren still living at home who aren't allowed in my bedroom
and my dogs appreciate the sanctuary.

OH dear you'd be the only one!

Old 05-03-2007, 10:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

Hi Chookie,
I have had a fantastic summer (Belgrave in the Dandenongs Victoria).
Built a 6.5 x 3 metre hot-house on new ground, conditioned the soil with
lime and gypsum to get the pH correct. Dug in cow poo, horse poo and pea
straw, leaving some pea straw on top for about 6 months. Planted tomatoes in
late September and was harvesting by Christmas. I trialled a grafted Apollo
from Bunnings. It has spread out to 4 branches, so far yielding more than 60
tomatoes averaging 300g each. The biggest so far was 600g!
The other tomatoes are producing well too. A mis-labelled beefsteak plant
turned out to be a cherry tomato. I have picked hundreds from it and it
still
has heaps! I use tomato growers' clips to suspend the vines from a rail.
Normal binders string breaks under the load. I use thetwine from the pea
straw bales now.
Every day I take a couple of tomatoes and a cucumber to work just to keep
up. (The ladies at work have asked if I'm trying to suggest something).
I take Zucchinis grown outside the hot-house too.
I've bottled heaps of tomato source and spaghetti source, using chopped up
zucchini in the spaghetti sauce.
The chillis have gone nuts! They love the hot-house. The capsicums are
incredible. It's the first time I've grown them. They are so much better
than
the weeks old garbage that Safeways sell.
The tomatoes I planted outside are just starting to go red now, but seem to
be suffering from some type of wilt. I think the hot-house protects the
plants inside from air-bourne nasties. The only downer is the broccoli, It
grew OK but I couldn't keep up with the white cabbage moth grubs. A leaf
would turn into lace over night.

I reckon the hot-house is the best thing. I've never had such a prolific
harvest before.
I hope that next year is as good.
Regards,
Ed.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:58 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Ed Adamthwaite" wrote in message
[...]

lmao!! you'll have to stop giving them two tomatoes and a cucumber each g

I take Zucchinis grown outside the hot-house too.
I've bottled heaps of tomato source and spaghetti source, using chopped up
zucchini in the spaghetti sauce.
The chillis have gone nuts! They love the hot-house. The capsicums are
incredible. It's the first time I've grown them. They are so much better
than
the weeks old garbage that Safeways sell.
The tomatoes I planted outside are just starting to go red now, but seem
be suffering from some type of wilt. I think the hot-house protects the
plants inside from air-bourne nasties. The only downer is the broccoli, It
grew OK but I couldn't keep up with the white cabbage moth grubs. A leaf
would turn into lace over night.

i succumbed & started using derris dust, if that helps you for next year. i
could keep the butterflies off iwth netting, but not the moths (which are
smaller). one year i am going to try enclosed boxes made of flyscreen & see
how that goes.

I reckon the hot-house is the best thing. I've never had such a prolific
harvest before.
I hope that next year is as good.
Regards,
Ed.

disregarding the fact that i'm nearly purple with envy - what is your
hothouse made from? if it's not too much trouble to describe it briefly. and
i take it you are growing directly in the soil, yes?
kylie

Old 06-03-2007, 01:39 PM posted to aus.gardens

Hi Kylie,

- what is your hothouse made from? if it's not too much trouble to
describe it briefly.

Its made from steel hoops with plastic film stretched over it. I bought it
from Monbulk Rural Enterprises.
http://www.monbulkrural.com.au/
They make them to size in approximately 2.1 meter increments in length. The
film is made with a non-drip inside surface and has a slightly insulative
property. I added 3 extra rails, a central rail between the top of the doors
and one down either side at about 2 metres high offset 100mm inwards.
These are used for supporting the twine that the tomato clips attach to and
for supporting a trellis mesh when needed. The irrigation feed lines for
drip irrigation run down each side and along the central rail.

As a general rule the daytime temperature inside will reach nearly
double the outside maximum, so it is important to keep the doors open on a
day that goes over 23 degrees max. Tomatoes require somewhere between 12 and
14 degrees for the chemical process that makes them turn red, so the greater
temperature of the hothouse means that the tomato season is increased in
length.

and i take it you are growing directly in the soil, yes?

Yes. The Dandenongs mountain soil is acidic and clay based, parts closer to
the clay under-soil where I placed my hothouse had a pH of 5, so quite a bit
of preparation was called for to get it back to the optimum of 6.5. I have
made a double bay compost bin and will be digging in a bit over 1 cubic
meter of compost after this growing season to increase the biota in the
soil.

i succumbed & started using derris dust, if that helps you for next year.
i could keep the butterflies off iwth netting, but not the moths (which
are smaller).

I tried some derris dust, but didn't like the idea of eating the broccoli
heads as it is quite hard to wash them out, so gave up.

one year i am going to try enclosed boxes made of flyscreen
& see how that goes

The flyscreen sounds good, but I wonder if it might shade too much of the
light. If you do try the flyscreen boxes, please post the results.
I'd like to hear how they go.

Regards, Ed.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:44 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message

I am unhappy wiht my tomato results. Hardly a tomato from any of my
plants.
The three that I have eaten so far were nice, but that's not much of a
crop
from 7 plants!

:-((

For once, I have have got a superb crop of tomatoes. Mind you, I've waited
about 15 years to have a return of the Great Tomato Glut. They had a rocky
start. I planted on Melbourne Cup day (the time for planting here) and then
because it was still cold, I put plastic sleeves around them and every cold
night I rushed out and covered them and they still managed to get bitten by
frosts in late November. I added 4 more plants after that frost because the
originals looked so sad, but they came back so I had about 10 or 12 plants
all up. I x cherry tom - "Sweet Bite" - superb, will plant it again. 1 x
'Russian' - black one from a friend - also delicious. 1 x 'Monster' - a
beefsteak which normally doesn't grow well here because of the short season
,but it's still powering on and producing well. Several 'Grosse Lisse' -
always a good reliable tom. 1 x 'Tigerella' - hopeless - flavour not good
and too few fruit - won't bother again. Several 'San Marzano' - good and
prolific. Several 'Roma' ditto.

I've bottled puree and made Tom Sauce and today I do Rich Fruit Chutney and
later this week it will be bottling of tomato chunks for use in winter
stews.

This year zucchinis were not too good - also experienced by a friend in
Melbourne - not a lot of them and slow to produce. Corn went beserk - must
be the Elephant poo. Potatoes growing strongly but as it's not time to
harvest yet, I dont' know if the tops indicate a good crop, but if the tops
are anything to go by, I'll have lots of Purple Congos (under a pile of
weeds thrown on top) and whatever other ones my husband planted. Have
rockmelons on vine and couldn't be more thrilled! If I can only get a nice
long Autumn, I may even be able to eat some. Tried to grow these now for
several years but this is the first year I've had a vine produce fruit. I
had sex with the vine by way of a brush so that may be the answer to non
fruiting. Lebanese cucumber in plague proprtions - giving them away like
confetti. butter bean only now beginning to set pods - may not get too many
but they were planted late after inspiration from you Chookie. Silver beet
doing well after a slow start. Chinese veg did well but need to plant
more - now on for young and old as it's time to get in winter/spring stuff.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:50 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Ed Adamthwaite" wrote in message

The only downer is the broccoli, It
grew OK but I couldn't keep up with the white cabbage moth grubs. A leaf
would turn into lace over night.

Some years ago, I read in either 'Earth Garden' or 'Grass Roots' that
cabbage moth are terratorial and they gave an idea for making fake cabbage
moths and putting them round whatever the moths were attacking. I made some
fake ones using a cut up plastic 2 litre milk container putting on black
dots with texta,s tuck these on satay skewers and then stuck the skewer onto
a thing bamboo stake and pushed it into the ground next to the plants. It
worked!

I watched the moths dancinfg around and then moving on to where there wasn't
another 'moth'. Not totally undamamged, but enough for me to get a good
result and it's non toxic.