Old 22-02-2007, 12:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Inner city vegetable garden - health

1) I live on a main road near the CBD and I grow herbs among the other potted plants in the yard. Does anyone know if there are risks in eating home grown plants in the inner city?

When I sweep the yard, I always collect a layer of sticky diesel dust and for the last year, I've simply thrown this back into the soil, along with any leaves and soils which I've collected. My concern is that the plants we eat will be absorbing the pollutants in the soil and we in turn will be slowly poisoning ourselves.

2) The other issue was that when I recently spoke to a rep for a company who make small worm farm kits, they told me that it was not a good idea to use the worm castings on vegetable plots. When I asked what the reason was for not mixing it into the vegetable plots, the rep said that she couldn't tell me why this was as she didn't know. This seems contrary to any other info I have found on the internet. Does anyone know what the hazards might be or if there are any?

None of this is pleasant stuff, but I am already concerned about the damage we may already be experiencing from breathing in diesel fumes on a constant basis.

Cynthia

Old 22-02-2007, 02:35 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Feb 22, 11:57 am, "Cynthia" wrote:
1) I live on a main road near the CBD and I grow herbs among the other potted plants in the yard. Does anyone know if there are risks in eating home grown plants in the inner city?

When I sweep the yard, I always collect a layer of sticky diesel dust and for the last year, I've simply thrown this back into the soil, along with any leaves and soils which I've collected. My concern is that the plants we eat will be absorbing the pollutants in the soil and we in turn will be slowly poisoning ourselves.

I don't have any authoritatve info on the risks but I know that there
are some nasty by-products in exhaust fumes. I would wash anything to
be eaten carefully. Dunno if it would be absorbed.

2) The other issue was that when I recently spoke to a rep for a company who make small worm farm kits, they told me that it was not a good idea to use the worm castings on vegetable plots. When I asked what the reason was for not mixing it into the vegetable plots, the rep said that she couldn't tell me why this was as she didn't know. This seems contrary to any other info I have found on the internet. Does anyone know what the hazards might be or if there are any?

This sounds very odd. I have been to a worm farm and know several
organic growers (some certified) who use worm liquid and castings and
they all extoll its virtues. I always distrust those who want to tell
you what to do but cannot tell you why.

David

Old 22-02-2007, 07:02 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 00:57:48 GMT, "Cynthia"
wrote:

g'day cynthia,

1) I live on a main road near the CBD and I grow herbs among the other potted plants in the yard. Does anyone know if there are risks in eating home grown plants in the inner city?

When I sweep the yard, I always collect a layer of sticky diesel dust and for the last year, I've simply thrown this back into the soil, along with any leaves and soils which I've collected. My concern is that the plants we eat will be absorbing the pollutants in the soil and we in turn will be slowly poisoning ourselves.

can't realy say here i would be wanting to know as well as lots of
this material can become solluble to the plant once it is in the soil.

washing off the leaves before use would be an advantage but still may
not be any guarantees, i've heard of a family who live on jubilee tce
ashgrove who can't use their front yard for relaxation as it affects
their healths and those of their pets, that isa very buys road 24/7.

them and their pets where always sick and doc's/vet's had no idea so
money being no objsect they arranged for full testis and samplings
from their front and back gardens.

maybe you could grow your plants out the back keeping the front yard
and home as a buffer? plant some of the smaller trees out front to add
to the buffer, trees seem to trap a lot of that air borne stuff.

2) The other issue was that when I recently spoke to a rep for a company who make small worm farm kits, they told me that it was not a good idea to use the worm castings on vegetable plots. When I asked whatthe reason was for not mixing it into the vegetable plots, the rep said that she couldn't tell me why this was as she didn't know. This seems contrary to any other info I have found on the internet. Does anyone know what the hazards might be or if there are any?

i don't agree with her in that statement actually it si the first time
i ahve ever ehard of such a thing part from anotehr wormer saying worm
wee was no good for plants???? if a agrden is full of worms this stuff
is there in the garden as part of the nutrient cycle for the plants.

None of this is pleasant stuff, but I am already concerned about the damage we may already be experiencing from breathing in diesel fumes on a constant basis.

um yeh that i would expect would be a concern living in or near the
inner city, one reason that keeps me well out in the suburbs.

not only the fall out from fule fumes (cars now deposit cyanide
instead of lead, and the tyer dust is full of lead as well)

Cynthia

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 25-02-2007, 01:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Cynthia" wrote in message
[...]

when i lived in such a location, i could really notice the difference in
dust etc out the front where the traffic was, vs out the back.

if i were you, i'd plant more at the front to absorb pollutants & catch
dust, & only eat what i grew out the back. personally i'd not worry while
eating the out-the-back stuff (i used to do that myself). some people might,
but i wouldn't.

i tried to make a tall hedge of plants out the front. it REALLY helped with
both dust and noise.
kylie

Old 28-02-2007, 12:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

Thanks for all the replies and advice :-)

Unfortunatley we don't have a back yard: apartment terrace 4 floors up
overlooking a main road. It's a lovely spot, the traffic pollution is the
only worry. The noise is actually okay, but less would always be better.

I've come across a lot of info on people planting veggie gardens in the
inner city, but not much yet on the health side so I'll do a bit of
research into it. I wrote to a government environmental web site once
inquiring about the goverment's stance on improving air quality with regards
to diesel fumes, but they didn't reply. Perhaps the phone will be a more
effective means of communication.

In spring just gone, I planted a row of shrubs which will grow to a
reasonable height in about 5 yrs, so I'm hopeful that that might cut out
some of the dust and noise. I've not had to deal with it before, so I'm
looking forward to seeing what the results are. When I lived down the road
from here, on the other side of the block, the dust we got was much cleaner
to look at - more fluffy and light grey. I really was surprised at the stuff
we get round the front.

I tell myself with all the time I spend trying to create a little oasis in
the city, that there are benefits to it. It certainly makes the place more
pleasant and I'm sure that our overlooking neighbours also benefit. At least
it'll increase the value of the property if we ever sell the place!

I'll still consider getting a worm farm and using it on the veggies. I also
thought it odd advice from the company rep. If I consider the same product,
I'll talk to someone else there and ask more questions. I'll also post any
info I get on the diesel dust.

;-)

Old 28-02-2007, 10:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"Cynthia" wrote:

Thanks for all the replies and advice :-)

Unfortunatley we don't have a back yard: apartment terrace 4 floors up
overlooking a main road. It's a lovely spot, the traffic pollution is the
only worry. The noise is actually okay, but less would always be better.

I've come across a lot of info on people planting veggie gardens in the
inner city, but not much yet on the health side so I'll do a bit of
research into it.

I know that Michael Mobbs and his family use rainwater from his roof... in
Chippendale. They have had it tested and it is fine.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 28-02-2007, 07:20 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day cynthia,

you are in an apartment on the 4th floor?

where did you plant the shrubs?

also density of dust levels may be affected by where you trade winds
come from be the same with some of the noise depending the winds may
carry dust/noise away from you or bring them to you.

wouldn't be expecting anything much to happens about diesel pollution
any time soon, realistically they may make a non polluting car but as
for trucks and buses that's another story, they could with council
buses go back to electric from overhead wires but you would still have
private bus companies, realy too much to expect any gov' to get their
little minds around.

snipped

Old 05-03-2007, 12:21 PM posted to aus.gardens

you are in an apartment on the 4th floor?

where did you plant the shrubs?

Hi Len,

Yes, fourth floor facing mostly west, with another section facing north &
north west. I think that most of the time the wind comes from the west. We
have a great view to the west, no tall buildings in our way, but the trade
off seems to be that the dust gets slapped onto our balcony & through the
doors of the apartment.

It's not all woe, but the dirt is noticeably different from the place we had
facing east, with it's back to the main road. We can also smell the fumes
every other day or so.

In large troughs, I've put Lilly Pilly, Viburnum Odoratissium, Golden Cane
Palm, NZ Xmas Tree and Pittosporum along the west facing edge of the
balcony. They seem to cope with the wind, the Pittosporum (Variegated, Super
Screen)is a bit thin and gets bent often by the wind, it also has some brown
edged leaves. The fastest grower so far is the Lily Pilly.

I've put the herbs in amongst the shrubs and in pots on the floor. At the
moment they're all exposed to the dust as there is not enough screening yet.
I'm waiting for some shade the grow so that I can get a worm farm
established.

I don't have much waste for a compost bin, I read that you need a fair bit
to get the heat generated, so for the time being, I've chopped up the stuff
I have from pruning and spread it over the bare patches in the troughs,
leaving some room free around the stems of plants.

Cynthia :-)

Old 26-03-2007, 05:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Reading up on pollution

I've come across a few interesting web sites with info on pollution in the
city and it's effects on growing one's own produce.

The first is an extreme example of pollution, but interesting all the same.
The New Orleans Residents' Guide To Do It Yourself Soil Clean Up - this
advice for people cleaning up after Hurricane Katrina.
http://www.commongroundrelief.org/node/214

The other is a query from someone wanting to understand whether there are
dangers in using city rainwater to water their vegetables.
http://www.users.on.net/~arachne/rainwter.html
http://home.comcast.net/~leavesdance...ls/safety.html

Interesting conversations on printing inks when using paper to reduce smell
in worm farms. Don't know what inks are used in Australia, but it's good to
be aware of it...
http://sacgardening.blogspot.com/200...ms-update.html

Cynthia

Old 27-03-2007, 01:49 PM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"Cynthia" wrote:

The other is a query from someone wanting to understand whether there are
dangers in using city rainwater to water their vegetables.
http://www.users.on.net/~arachne/rainwter.html
http://home.comcast.net/~leavesdance...ls/safety.html

This was interesting -- and it was so dependent on th materials being used on
the roofs! I was horrified to discover that most American houses have asphalt
shingles as a roofing material. They can't be recycled, are full of
contaminants, as the article shows... and they last only about 10 years!
Madness!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue

inner city vineyard - what do you think? Frank Edible Gardening 9 24-08-2011 06:25 AM
Inner city birds JennyC United Kingdom 9 10-03-2010 11:20 AM
Raised Gardens used for inner city roof tops or paved surfaces Harold[_2_] Gardening 0 28-03-2007 11:05 AM
camelias etc struggling in inner city planter box. CrumpetHead Australia 2 23-02-2005 09:30 PM
Inner City - Courtyard Gardening - Infestation of Vine Weevil Sharon Hughes United Kingdom 5 11-06-2004 07:06 PM