Old 23-02-2007, 12:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default bulk cow manure in Sydney

My local "manure/compost" supplies are 20L bags of chicken, cow or
mushroom compost at a nearby chicken breeder.

I know the chicken breeder bags his own shed scrappings as the compost,
but I expect he buys in the cow and mushroom compost (probably bagged)
from another supplier.

Does anyone know of such a supplier in SW Sydney, or wider afield?

Supply of cow and mushroom has become a problem and I' prepared to buy
in bulk (pallet, wool bale or 100 bags) to get it.
Old 23-02-2007, 11:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article
,
Terryc wrote:

My local "manure/compost" supplies are 20L bags of chicken, cow or
mushroom compost at a nearby chicken breeder.

I know the chicken breeder bags his own shed scrappings as the compost,
but I expect he buys in the cow and mushroom compost (probably bagged)
from another supplier.

Does anyone know of such a supplier in SW Sydney, or wider afield?

Go to a landscape supplier. Soil 'n' Stuff at Kogarah used to be good, but
you'll probably want someone closer to you. Landscape suppliers will deliver
stuff by the cubic metre.

The problem I have found is that it's all composted, not fresh. That's fine
unless you want to use it to start a compost pile. Mushroom compost is
usually still pretty hot, but the cow and chook manure can generally be slung
straight on the garden.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 23-02-2007, 12:49 PM posted to aus.gardens

Chookie wrote:

Go to a landscape supplier.

That is retail price, but I can ask.
Local nursery suppliers sell same stuff at 2x+ prices, but in fancier bags.

The problem I have found is that it's all composted, not fresh. That's fine
unless you want to use it to start a compost pile. Mushroom compost is
usually still pretty hot, but the cow and chook manure can generally be slung
straight on the garden.

Which is what I want.

Old 25-02-2007, 01:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
My local "manure/compost" supplies are 20L bags of chicken, cow or
mushroom compost at a nearby chicken breeder.

I know the chicken breeder bags his own shed scrappings as the compost,
but I expect he buys in the cow and mushroom compost (probably bagged)
from another supplier.

Does anyone know of such a supplier in SW Sydney, or wider afield?

Supply of cow and mushroom has become a problem and I' prepared to buy in
bulk (pallet, wool bale or 100 bags) to get it.

hm, can't help you with cow, but someone _always_ advertises in our local
paper to sell mushroom compost at (what seems to be) a very cheap price.
shall i get their details for you? we are southern tablelands - so i'm not
sure if that helps. i believe the ad says location isn't a problem (perhaps
he sends it?)
kylie (who will wait before trying to locate where i've put the paper!!)

Old 25-02-2007, 02:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:

hm, can't help you with cow, but someone _always_ advertises in our local
paper to sell mushroom compost at (what seems to be) a very cheap price.
shall i get their details for you? we are southern tablelands - so i'm not
sure if that helps. i believe the ad says location isn't a problem (perhaps
he sends it?)

Well, I'm at Campbelltown, so I doubt if they would want to deliver that
far north, but it doesn't hurt to give them a ring and talk.

The best I ever did in mushie was a oncer just north of windor on the
northern road at that Ampol(?) servo just above that little place I can
not remember {:-).

The largish (wool bale base size) plastic bag they grew them in could be
had for $2 each. The major problem was lifting the then well decayed and
soggy bags into the back of the van.

This was before the Freeway went through to Beresford and we were doing
a trip to and from Cessnock.

We have come to the realisation that wee need to dump about a foot of
compost onto our garden soil to just get it up to basic good growing
level. We started with basic Sydney Sandstone derived soil that had been
drowned in chlorine/sal****er pool dumping for a few years (before us).
After years of adding a little bit more each year, it has finally dawned
that we really need to do a massive enrichment to overcome all the past
and get stuff growing well.

Even mulching every green thing we can (absolutely no green waste) is
not having much effect. So we figure a massive load might make next
spring a good rather than patchy growing season.

Old 25-02-2007, 10:18 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:

hm, can't help you with cow, but someone _always_ advertises in our local
paper to sell mushroom compost at (what seems to be) a very cheap price.
shall i get their details for you? we are southern tablelands - so i'm
not sure if that helps. i believe the ad says location isn't a problem
(perhaps he sends it?)

Well, I'm at Campbelltown, so I doubt if they would want to deliver that
far north, but it doesn't hurt to give them a ring and talk.

The best I ever did in mushie was a oncer just north of windor on the
northern road at that Ampol(?) servo just above that little place I can
not remember {:-).

oh yes, i know it well ;-)

The largish (wool bale base size) plastic bag they grew them in could be
had for $2 each.

hm, well cheap is certainly relative. iirc this person sells 10 x 40 litre
bags for $40. (or is it 4 x 10 litre bags for $4 each??? or something. there
are tens and fours in there somewhere!)

The major problem was lifting the then well decayed and
soggy bags into the back of the van.

This was before the Freeway went through to Beresford and we were doing a
trip to and from Cessnock.

We have come to the realisation that wee need to dump about a foot of
compost onto our garden soil to just get it up to basic good growing
level. We started with basic Sydney Sandstone derived soil that had been
drowned in chlorine/sal****er pool dumping for a few years (before us).
After years of adding a little bit more each year, it has finally dawned
that we really need to do a massive enrichment to overcome all the past
and get stuff growing well.

Even mulching every green thing we can (absolutely no green waste) is not
having much effect. So we figure a massive load might make next spring a
good rather than patchy growing season.

most likely. you have to wonder where some people's heads are at, don't you?
how exasperating.

anyway, the point here is that i have lost my paper. indulge me until next
wednesday, whereupon i shall find the ad again. unless, of course, it's not
in next week g. sorry about that. stay tuned!!
kylie

Old 27-02-2007, 12:16 PM posted to aus.gardens

Geoff & Heather wrote:
I can tell you where to get mushroom compost in Newcastle for $30 pm - bit
of a drive though :-)

Do you mean "per cubic metre"?

Yes, just a tad. {:-) We do go to Branxton occassionally.
Considering that it weighs a bit, by the time I add in the cost of the
extra petrol, it would be considerable more expensive {:-(.
Old 28-02-2007, 02:03 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
My local "manure/compost" supplies are 20L bags of chicken, cow or
mushroom compost at a nearby chicken breeder.

I know the chicken breeder bags his own shed scrappings as the compost,
but I expect he buys in the cow and mushroom compost (probably bagged)
from another supplier.

Does anyone know of such a supplier in SW Sydney, or wider afield?

Supply of cow and mushroom has become a problem and I' prepared to buy in
bulk (pallet, wool bale or 100 bags) to get it.

Terry have you tried to find stables (ie racing trainers, recreational
riding stables etc) round your area?

Otterbot and I both swear by horse manure as being a wonderful amendment for
soil and as a cattle producer, poultry owner and child of former poultry
farmers, I can tell you that I would rather have horse poo than any other
manure.

The reason why I suggest trying to find a stable complex somewhere in your
area is that on the fringes of suburbia, it is often a problem for them to
get rid of the poo and they usually let people come and load up tralers full
of the stuff. Or do you need to get it delivered?

Old 28-02-2007, 10:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
Geoff & Heather wrote:
I can tell you where to get mushroom compost in Newcastle for $30 pm -
bit of a drive though :-)

Do you mean "per cubic metre"?

Yes, just a tad. {:-) We do go to Branxton occassionally.
Considering that it weighs a bit, by the time I add in the cost of the
extra petrol, it would be considerable more expensive {:-(.

it's wednesday & i have guilt because we forgot to buy the paper.
kylie "catholic guilt is in the dna" otterbot

Old 28-02-2007, 10:09 PM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:

it's wednesday & i have guilt because we forgot to buy the paper.
kylie "catholic guilt is in the dna" otterbot

Buy, don't worry about it.
We are heading the other direction atm. {:-)
Old 28-02-2007, 10:18 PM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:

Terry have you tried to find stables (ie racing trainers, recreational
riding stables etc) round your area?

We know of Warrick Farm and a training place at Cobbity. We have been to
the Cobbity place once. It was lots of shavings and little poo.

The other problem is storing it for three months for the worming kill
stuff to disapate. Bit hard to handle half wool packs of the stuff.

Otterbot and I both swear by horse manure as being a wonderful amendment for
soil and as a cattle producer, poultry owner and child of former poultry
farmers, I can tell you that I would rather have horse poo than any other
manure.

Well, that is interesting. It might be just lack of exterience from the
other people that they never mention horse.

Might also be that it isn't available in small bags (20L) lots. It
doesn't worry us, but is a factor for some people.

The reason why I suggest trying to find a stable complex somewhere in your
area is that on the fringes of suburbia, it is often a problem for them to
get rid of the poo and they usually let people come and load up tralers full
of the stuff. Or do you need to get it delivered?

We can do trailer and back of van loads no trouble (so far). I have a
nice collection of long handle shovels for loading {:-). It is just
finding the open places atm. I get told disease and public liability are
issue.

But we are looking. Just thought I'd ask if anyone knew.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:47:04 +1100, Terryc
wrote:

My local "manure/compost" supplies are 20L bags of chicken, cow or
mushroom compost at a nearby chicken breeder.

I know the chicken breeder bags his own shed scrappings as the compost,
but I expect he buys in the cow and mushroom compost (probably bagged)
from another supplier.

Does anyone know of such a supplier in SW Sydney, or wider afield?

Supply of cow and mushroom has become a problem and I' prepared to buy
in bulk (pallet, wool bale or 100 bags) to get it.

Cow manure ? perhaps not, but I'm sure in any Capital city you could
get plenty of BULL **** from around any politicians ....
Old 01-03-2007, 10:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:

it's wednesday & i have guilt because we forgot to buy the paper.
kylie "catholic guilt is in the dna" otterbot

Buy, don't worry about it.
We are heading the other direction atm. {:-)

bought the paper today, but the ad's not there this week.

oh well!!

next time i see it, i'll post the info anyway, regardless of the directions
in which you are heading :-). how's that? (just indulge me).
kylie

"cow manure & compost" really a mulch? OhioGuy Gardening 8 27-03-2009 02:54 PM
Cow Manure Question sherwindu Gardening 6 25-07-2005 06:43 AM
dry cow manure Lee Gardening 4 28-09-2004 07:08 AM
Want to buy Mulch and bulk cow manure in Melbourne - advice please DeeJ Australia 0 25-10-2003 03:02 AM
Cow manure fertiliser Franz Heymann United Kingdom 43 07-10-2003 09:48 PM