GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plantings in Melbourne (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/154441-plantings-melbourne.html)

Staycalm 24-02-2007 06:32 AM

Plantings in Melbourne

Replanting some self seeded lettuce today got me thinking of the the next
harvest to plant. I am getting ready to rip out the tomato plants. I might
get a little more from the cucumbers but they have started to die back and
the fruit is not growing so consistantly.
What seedlings can be planted now?
Anyone got a good gardening site that lists what can be grown at different
months in Melbourne?

Liz

0tterbot 25-02-2007 01:25 AM

Plantings in Melbourne

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
Replanting some self seeded lettuce today got me thinking of the the next
harvest to plant. I am getting ready to rip out the tomato plants. I might
get a little more from the cucumbers but they have started to die back and
the fruit is not growing so consistantly.
What seedlings can be planted now?
Anyone got a good gardening site that lists what can be grown at different
months in Melbourne?

Liz

the digger's club has a chart for all the seasons, heat & cold zones, & what
to plant when... i believe you need to buy it though :-) if you're not with
digger's i'd truly recommend you (or anyone) join! i love them.

after consulting my chart, melbourne appears to be in a warm zone, so plant
anything that's NOT strictly a summer (frost senstive) veg. .e.g. carrots,
onions, beetroot & the other roots of various families will be good
(probably not potatoes unless you can protect them), the frost-proof leafies
(spinach, lettuce etc), all the brassicas, any frost-proof herbs (iirc (heh)
i just planted dill, parsley, thyme, lemon balm, coriander & some others).
celery is good for winter but afaik should have been started already, so use
seedlings & make sure they never dry out). plant peas (but NOT beans),
however, the frost will kill the flowers (although not the leaves) so you
may have to protect the flowers at night as it gets cooler.
hth
kylie

Chookie 26-02-2007 11:09 AM

Plantings in Melbourne