Old 26-02-2007, 12:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Bay Tree

I have a small bay tree in a pot about a metre tall. the new leaves
look quite healthy but the is something growing on the old leaves and
part of the stem.

It looks like a brown spot about 1mm in diameter and can be scrapped
off. There are thousands of them

Can someone please tell me what it is and what I do about it

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons
Old 26-02-2007, 12:50 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

G'day Prickles

My first thought would be Red Spider? sometimes they are a shade of
brown. Have you got a magnifying glass for closer inspection?

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 26-02-2007, 12:18 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Spiny Norman" wrote in message
I have a small bay tree in a pot about a metre tall. the new leaves
look quite healthy but the is something growing on the old leaves and
part of the stem.

It looks like a brown spot about 1mm in diameter and can be scrapped
off. There are thousands of them

Can someone please tell me what it is and what I do about it

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons

Would figure it is scale. Mix 50% cooking oil with 50% water and a dollop of
metholated spirits. Spray on an overcast morning.

Dick

Old 26-02-2007, 02:12 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Loosecanon" wrote in message

"Spiny Norman" wrote in message
I have a small bay tree in a pot about a metre tall. the new leaves
look quite healthy but the is something growing on the old leaves and
part of the stem.

It looks like a brown spot about 1mm in diameter and can be scrapped
off. There are thousands of them

Can someone please tell me what it is and what I do about it

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons

Would figure it is scale. Mix 50% cooking oil with 50% water and a dollop
of
metholated spirits. Spray on an overcast morning.

Dick

I forget to mention shake that mix for a while so it blends together a bit

Old 26-02-2007, 06:21 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day prickles,

i'm going for scale also, and i'll take it one further and suggest
that you have scale because of ants, in my time of gardening i have
never seen scale without ants, ants without scale yes but they have
symbiotic relationship.

you don't need to see heaps of ants once they have their herd set up
it doesn't take the whole nest to harvest the sweet secretions.

so move the ants on and then either wait for the scale to die off or
spray with a white oil mix you can make homemade recipes we have them
on our remedies page. if teh scale is only on a few leaves say just
cut the offending leaves/twigs off.

when you ahve ants visiting plants be on the look our for scale,
aphids & mealy bugs appearing soon after.

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 11:19:59 +1100, Spiny Norman
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Old 27-02-2007, 12:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:21:45 GMT, len garden
wrote in aus.gardens:

g'day prickles,

i'm going for scale also, and i'll take it one further and suggest
that you have scale because of ants, in my time of gardening i have
never seen scale without ants, ants without scale yes but they have
symbiotic relationship.

Thanks to every one that replied.

There are definitely some ants in the area though to be honest I do
nothing about them. I didn't know they actually caused plant diseases.

I will make up the oil solution and try it on the plant.

BTW I was looking at your web site and am going to try making your
laundry 'detergent' . Does it have any destructive effects on elastic?
I seem to remember washing clothes using pure soap once and all the
elastic self destructed

Old 27-02-2007, 06:44 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 11:07:26 +1100, Spiny Norman
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:21:45 GMT, len garden
wrote in aus.gardens:

g'day prickles,

snipped

There are definitely some ants in the area though to be honest I do
nothing about them. I didn't know they actually caused plant diseases.

you need to work hard at keeping the ants out of the pots, i curently
use ant sand in the bottom of the pots when i repot, othersiwe having
pots is just an open invitation to them. just since being here they
have bought mealy bugs into sun jewel potted plants, and scale onto
kalachoe plants, and aphids onto a potted rose.

with this method i put enough pot mix in to cover the drain home area,
pak it down a bit (most mixes now drain way too freely so packing down
a bit is essential to slow water drainage) give a good sprinkle of ant
sand over the whole area then add more mix and then the plant.

for now you may need to sprinkle and sand around the base of the plant
on top of the mix and around the surface where the pot is standing,
once ant activity has all but ceased then spray the plants with white
oil but only after the ehat of the sun, we generaly use white oil at
around 1/4 the recommended rate.

it will burn some leaves on some plants the spotty look, but it's
either that or lose the plant, new leaves will come.

I will make up the oil solution and try it on the plant.

BTW I was looking at your web site and am going to try making your
laundry 'detergent' . Does it have any destructive effects on elastic?
I seem to remember washing clothes using pure soap once and all the
elastic self destructed

we ahve ahd no problems with this mix and my lovely and a lot of other
converts are very pleased with it.

Old 27-02-2007, 11:32 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:44:37 GMT, len garden
wrote in aus.gardens:

you need to work hard at keeping the ants out of the pots, i curently
use ant sand in the bottom of the pots when i repot, othersiwe having
pots is just an open invitation to them. just since being here they
have bought mealy bugs into sun jewel potted plants, and scale onto
kalachoe plants, and aphids onto a potted rose.

I usually put old screen mesh at the bottom of my pots to cover the
holes stops things getting in an roots getting out. I think it is fine
enough to stop ants (but not sure)

Some times I wonder how things get into pots. I found some small worms
in an old toilet with a tree in it. I had drilled the bottonmm to let
the water out but covered the holes with screen wire, yet there they
were. Watering it with dishwashing water soon made them scram but
there were much easier containers for them to take up residence in

Old 17-03-2007, 08:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

Spiny Norman wrote:
I have a small bay tree in a pot about a metre tall. the new leaves
look quite healthy but the is something growing on the old leaves and
part of the stem.

It looks like a brown spot about 1mm in diameter and can be scrapped
off. There are thousands of them

Can someone please tell me what it is and what I do about it

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons

Prickles
You should make sure you water it enough and not overwater it.
The spot then should grow out .
http://polly.cultureforum.net
Albert
..

bay tree compost papa United Kingdom 2 03-03-2003 02:47 PM
Laurel Nobilis - Bay tree Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 1 03-03-2003 02:06 PM
Cuttings from a bay tree Ian Snowdon United Kingdom 10 27-01-2003 10:36 PM
Now OT, was: Cuttings from a bay tree Andy Spragg United Kingdom 0 21-01-2003 08:29 AM
Non gardener needs help with bay tree Steve Drake United Kingdom 1 15-01-2003 06:08 PM