Old 06-04-2007, 02:35 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default worms! (book recommendation)

"0tterbot" wrote in message
Sorry but haven't been in here for a while - life got in the way. I use
it mostly around the edges of tree/shrub areas to grow things like veg -
especially strawbs and other things like parsley and smaller stuff that
I want to grow quickly and get a return on. I also use it in the
decorative garden in a similar situation. I'll bet you are already
using it but haven't taken note that you are doing so.

maybe - i'm not sure despite thinking hard about it. isn't everything an
"edge" to somewhere :-)

:-))))))) Yes and no. I guess that aveg bed in the middle of a lawn
would be an edge of the lawn, but that isn't quite what's meant by
"edges" -it's more where different ecosystem type edges meet.

how big is "an ecosystem", though? are there not tiny ones as well?
kylie

Old 06-04-2007, 02:53 PM posted to aus.gardens

Yep. But talk is cheap. Perhaps you have heard of the expression "all
hat, no farm"?

indeed - and i'm sure they were well-intentioned. but anyway.

Well they do sound like a lot of idiots. Anyone who has ever been camping
knows that about siting a tent!

/end rant, rests case

:-)) But you didn't even make a case! Presumably they SAID that they
were permaculturals but that doens't meant ehy were. I could say that I
am a brain surgeon but it doesn't make me one.

this is exactly true. i am ranting intolerantly, am i not? :-)

To me, permaculture design has always just been common sense.

this is why i find the whole thing disappointing - they are common sense
ideas (if badly-communicated at times).

No but I'd like to. It's on my list of "to buys" but I can't buy anything
more till I get rid of some of the stuff I already have stuffed in this
over stuffed house.

What were you impressed by?

well firstly it's just a good book (highly readable, very interesting, etc)
and second it's given me more ideas. :-)
kylie

Old 06-04-2007, 03:02 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message

OK, I'd say not permies, just idiots.

i found that their records didn't leave much that was useful in terms of
their "permaculture" orientation. :-)

I would guess they had never kept
chooks before and didn't know they needed care at least once a day (eggs,
food, water) -- this is usually mentioned specifically in the pc books I
have
read. Therefore, you want the chooks close, but not too close, to the
house
(and water tap and feed bins).

Close planting of (productive) trees is the cardinal sign of the novice.
Note
that in some cases people plant wattles and similar as "nursemaids"
(dappled
shade for slower-growing productive trees, and if these were left to grow
instead of being removed once the saplings were bigger, you'd end up with
jungle. The years of neglect might account for part of what you are
seeing.
Could the fig or hazel be self-sown, for example?

well i don't think so, but i don't know. certainly others strongly appear to
have been planted 2-3m apart round the yard. these two are just unusually
close. (the fig is doing very badly - it only recently stopped looking like
a pile of sticks & revealed itself as a fig ;-) but we will try to move it.

The 100m of jonquils might have been an earlier planting -- it certainly
doesn't sound like something a permie would do. What was the history of
the property? Was there a house on it 100 years ago?

there might have been 100 years ago but certainly later. there are old
foundations etc. however, the line of jonquils is mentioned in their
records. shall i refresh my memory of what it was purportedlly for & let you
know? (there's actually another shorter line of jonquils too).
kylie